• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrading from Soundsticks

vurt

I'm getting the itch :(

I'm thinking of upgrading my very old Soundstick speakers and started looking on the secondhand market (in NY), plus googling around for info and reviews of what I found.

This will be for listening to music at my desk. Passive or active is fine, but I don't have an amp right now so whichever simplest is best.

Music tend to be electronic, techno, or indie-ish.

I want to avoid a sub if possible.

I also haven't bought speakers in... 10 years...

• KEF Q150? for ~$300 (I see this pop up in several categories in one of @sweetchaos ' list)
  • Elac Debut Reference DR62 new for $400 (Seems to be highly recommended by Amir) (This might be the best choice for good tight bass?)
  • Genelec 60010 for $500 (Genelec and Neumann seem to be two of the most popular and recommended brands)
  • Focal CMS 40 for $350

warpdrive

you want passive or active? Big range of different speakers you have there. How much bass extension do you want?

Vanatoo would be a good multi-use speaker connected to a computer.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I'm thinking of upgrading my very old Soundstick speakers and started looking on the secondhand market (in NY), plus googling around for info and reviews of what I found.

This will be for listening to music at my desk. Passive or active is fine, but I don't have an amp right now so whichever simplest is best.

• KEF Q150? for ~$300 (I see this pop up in several categories in one of @sweetchaos ' list)
  • Elac Debut Reference DR62 new for $400 (Seems to be highly recommended by Amir) (This might be the best choice for good tight bass?)
  • Genelec 60010 for $500 (Genelec and Neumann seem to be two of the most popular and recommended brands)
  • Focal CMS 40 for $350
Where in NY? I'd have to guess you're not looking across the entire state.

OP
V

vurt

Thank you for the quick response @warpdrive !

Updating my post: I don't mind passive or active but I don't own an amp right now, so the simplest upgrade is preferred. But I can fit in a budget amp I think, if I have to. So this is the rabbit hole ...

Not really into the Vanatoo tbh. I know it comes highly recommended.

I'll probably put the speakers on stands because I have just enough desk space for the Soundsticks now, and nothing else (including a Vanatoo) will fit properly.

OP
V

vurt

Where in NY? I'd have to guess you're not looking across the entire state.

Oh no, the usual predictable boroughs. I was just giving some geographical context for when I'm looking on craigslist, fb marketplace, ebay.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Oh no, the usual predictable boroughs. I was just giving some geographical context for when I'm looking on craigslist, fb marketplace, ebay.
Thanks. I just spent a little while browsing FB marketplace to see if anything stood out in your area. Nothing yet unfortunately

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
IMO - It's worthwhile if you can go to an audio/video store and listen, just to get an idea of what the differences are, and how big of a woofer you might want, etc. You don't have to buy anything that day, or from that store, or even anything you hear. (They will sound different in a different acoustic environment.)

With an amp or receiver you'll at-least get a volume control knob (usually more convenient that a software volume control), and possibly more inputs and a remote control, etc. You get a LOT for you money with a receiver or AVR, and with an AVR you get a decoder for all of the DVD/Blu-Ray formats, optional surround sound, and bass management if you want to add a subwoofer (an AVR is the easiest way to integrate a sub). But an AVR does take-up a lot of space if it's on your desk.

Active is probably "simpler" and the amp is automatically matched. But most (good) active speakers are "monitors' and most monitors have a "different appearance" and no grills, so no protection from kids or accidents.

Typically, monitors are sold at music stores (stores that sell musical instruments and pro audio equipment) so you may find little or no selection at a retail audio/video store.

Last edited:
OP
V

vurt

Thanks. I just spent a little while browsing FB marketplace to see if anything stood out in your area. Nothing yet unfortunately

Oh thank you for taking a look! The Elac Reference that I mentioned was found on fb marketplace actually. That seems like a good option? The rest I listed are "accessible".

Elitzur–Vaidman

Oh thank you for taking a look! The Elac Reference that I mentioned was found on fb marketplace actually. That seems like a good option? The rest I listed are "accessible".
I agree that the elacs are a good option. You will need an amp, but something as simple as an Aiyima A07 (or whatever the current recommended budget amp is) would be fine. I think the genelecs you listed probably won't get loud/deep enough.

OP
V

vurt

Erin recently reviewed some Swissonic (Thomann's in-house brand) monitors that might be worth a look:

Yes! I came across them on the forum too! But hmmmm they'd have to be shipped from the EU so I'd rather not. I did check out their B-stock which they're currently out of. Thanks for the recommendation!

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor

• Focal CMS 40 for $350
I use the ELAC DBR62 and an recommend you audition it. Amir measured good bass extension in his review of the Polk Audio Elite Signature ES20 bookshelf/standmount loudspeaker - note, the top of the ES20 measures 13 13/16 inches deep - per Crutchfield

oops - my bad, I was looking for the Thomaann 'brand' and ignoring all the 'Swissonic' listings

thank you

Ze Frog

Erin recently reviewed some Swissonic (Thomann's in-house brand) monitors that might be worth a look:

Yeah, those Swissonic look an absolutely incredible value. Would be interesting to see the X8 measured as well. Really rather impressive how the can offer what they do at the price. And when you think the a306 measures better than some Hi-fi stuff for 10x the price or more, it's really admirable a company does this. Seems to be a bit of a thing in the monitor world, shows Hi-fi brands as great pretender's playing up to brand expectations.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
I use them in 2.0 system for streaming Tidal Music. I perceive they extract a lot of detail with a balanced tonality.

OP
V

vurt

I use them in 2.0 system for streaming Tidal Music. I perceive they extract a lot of detail with a balanced tonality.

Oh that's great! How's the bass on them?

I'm not after earth-moving bass like a club, I'm sitting on my ass working from home. But the kind of music I listen to, some tight bass would be nice.

Whatever I get will probably be an improvement to the old Soundsticks.

Top Bottom