• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade Path - looking for help

Gary4321

I had an Anthem AVM20 / PassLabs X5 with original B&W N805's/HTM2 and Gallo Micro for rears as a 5.1 system for the past 20 years. Wasn't great but 2 channel from the 805's always impressed. The Anthem starting giving me trouble, so I bought a Marantz SR8015 receiver and a pair of CDM5 on stands (to replace the Gallo Micro's)... Atmos was a big, noticeable improvement in HT sound seperation. Then I bought a Rythemik E15HP2, Then I installed a pair of B&W AM-1 so I had 7.1, but still itching for a bigger front stage as our Living room is 28 x 19 x 10. I found a great deal on an almost brand new pair of 803D4's (a lot more than I planned on spending but a great deal from a reputable dealer), and also ordered the matching HTM82D4 center (which still has not arrived). I moved my 805's to the Surround position, and the CDM5's to the Surround Rear. everything is bigger, better, with much more separation (still using my old HTM2 as a center), but kind of regretting buying the SR8015. I plan on installing the B&W AM-1's as Atmos Speakers (and bought a second pair so there will be 4) I am also enjoying 2 channel so much from the 803's that I am torn what the next step in an upgrade path should be. Is there a 2 channel preamp (also with a better 2 channel amp) to hook up somehow in bypass mode? or would going up to the AV10 and adding an Emotiva multichannel Amp, upgrade both my 2 channel music and the 7.2.4 HT system? I am afraid that for 2 channel music I won't find it enough of an improvement.
I should also add that I had an old Velodyne DD10 which I just had the amp replaced and recapped that is back now.
I am not sure where this should be posted for the best input. I am really enjoying my system upgrades and just have a little more to go.

MacCali

Major Contributor
4FAC4EA3-C53F-419C-8298-0A3E31026421.jpeg

I had an Anthem AVM20 / PassLabs X5 with original B&W N805's/HTM2 and Gallo Micro for rears as a 5.1 system for the past 20 years. Wasn't great but 2 channel from the 805's always impressed. The Anthem starting giving me trouble, so I bought a Marantz SR8015 receiver and a pair of CDM5 on stands (to replace the Gallo Micro's)... Atmos was a big, noticeable improvement in HT sound seperation. Then I bought a Rythemik E15HP2, Then I installed a pair of B&W AM-1 so I had 7.1, but still itching for a bigger front stage as our Living room is 28 x 19 x 10. I found a great deal on an almost brand new pair of 803D4's (a lot more than I planned on spending but a great deal from a reputable dealer), and also ordered the matching HTM82D4 center (which still has not arrived). I moved my 805's to the Surround position, and the CDM5's to the Surround Rear. everything is bigger, better, with much more separation (still using my old HTM2 as a center), but kind of regretting buying the SR8015. I plan on installing the B&W AM-1's as Atmos Speakers (and bought a second pair so there will be 4) I am also enjoying 2 channel so much from the 803's that I am torn what the next step in an upgrade path should be. Is there a 2 channel preamp (also with a better 2 channel amp) to hook up somehow in bypass mode? or would going up to the AV10 and adding an Emotiva multichannel Amp, upgrade both my 2 channel music and the 7.2.4 HT system? I am afraid that for 2 channel music I won't find it enough of an improvement.
I should also add that I had an old Velodyne DD10 which I just had the amp replaced and recapped that is back now.
I am not sure where this should be posted for the best input. I am really enjoying my system upgrades and just have a little more to go.
I can’t imagine what the next best thing would be my friend. Pre amp mode is excellent on this unit, so you can easily add more power per channel.

I maybe wrong here, but I think you can activate and deactivate each channel for pre amp mode. I know you can on the denon, believe it is the same. So really just get a 5 channel amp or 2 for mains and audio and 3 channel for the rest, and the rear surrounds and Dolby use the internal amp.

The only thing better than this would be the AVM70 or AVM90. The AVM 70 is only going to benefit if you really want to fine tune everything. I believe the 90 measures a little better and you probably wouldn’t even notice in a blind test.

The new Marantz isn’t bad and you can find it open box. But what you got now is perfectly acceptable and has everything you need when it comes to decoding etc.

I really wouldn’t be disappointed.

In addition, I may throw in you may get a touch better performance by using AirPlay for music playback. This is my experience with the 7013, much more closer to using a BDP vs Streaming via tv or inputting a digital signal to play music.

It’s a little confusing to setup. If you have any issues I can help. It should be in your phone like the photo attached.

OP
G

Gary4321

I can’t imagine what the next best thing would be my friend. Pre amp mode is excellent on this unit, so you can easily add more power per channel.

I maybe wrong here, but I think you can activate and deactivate each channel for pre amp mode. I know you can on the denon, believe it is the same. So really just get a 5 channel amp or 2 for mains and audio and 3 channel for the rest, and the rear surrounds and Dolby use the internal amp.

The only thing better than this would be the AVM70 or AVM90. The AVM 70 is only going to benefit if you really want to fine tune everything. I believe the 90 measures a little better and you probably wouldn’t even notice in a blind test.

The new Marantz isn’t bad and you can find it open box. But what you got now is perfectly acceptable and has everything you need when it comes to decoding etc.

I really wouldn’t be disappointed.

In addition, I may throw in you may get a touch better performance by using AirPlay for music playback. This is my experience with the 7013, much more closer to using a BDP vs Streaming via tv or inputting a digital signal to play music.

It’s a little confusing to setup. If you have any issues I can help. It should be in your phone like the photo attached.
I just got the Eversolo DMP A6 Streamer, so I am able to stream Hi Res Losses from many services.... its almost overwhelming, but I have mostly been using a trial subscription to Tidal at HiFi +. I also have Apple and Amazon Music so no need to stream thru Airplay which does not do Lossless.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I just got the Eversolo DMP A6 Streamer, so I am able to stream Hi Res Losses from many services.... its almost overwhelming, but I have mostly been using a trial subscription to Tidal at HiFi +. I also have Apple and Amazon Music so no need to stream thru Airplay which does not do Lossless.
AirPlay to my knowledge is lossless. I actually purchased an airport express, an apple made modem. Which has an auxiliary output and used to feed one of my stereo setups.

It is however only lossless up to CD quality.

I would give it a try, if you don’t like it you don’t have to use it.

OP
G

Gary4321

AirPlay to my knowledge is lossless. I actually purchased an airport express, an apple made modem. Which has an auxiliary output and used to feed one of my stereo setups.

It is however only lossless up to CD quality.

I would give it a try, if you don’t like it you don’t have to use it.
The Streamer I just bought has much higher bit rates than that of Airplay.. I use Roku for Home Theater so I don't have an AppleTV.

OP
G

Gary4321

Sorry I should correct myself.. no need to stream Apple Music via Bluetooth, as the Eversolo does much higher bitrate.

I am more interested on how to get better 2 channel audio from my 803's. That is my main focus

MacCali

Major Contributor
Sorry I should correct myself.. no need to stream Apple Music via Bluetooth, as the Eversolo does much higher bitrate.

I am more interested on how to get better 2 channel audio from my 803's. That is my main focus
It’s not Apple Music, I’ve streamed Tidal and Quboz using air play to my AVR. You can stream any service you like via AirPlay.

Top Bottom