• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
According to their website it isn't. Looks like they are supplied with a set of parameters for use with a personal DSP solution.

Reactions: MAB

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
According to their website it isn't. Looks like they are supplied with a set of parameters for use with a personal DSP solution.
Ah, so they are driven actively by external poweramps and external line level xover. This makes sense.

highender

This must be hidden inside, otherwise the tweeter wouldn't survive for much longer than a few minutes at high SPLs.
As far as I understand they are for use with outboard crossover and amps. A bit like car audio with seperate dsp and units.

MAB

Major Contributor
This must be hidden inside, otherwise the tweeter wouldn't survive for much longer than a few minutes at high SPLs.
I thought the same. The customer provides the DSP crossover and filters!
FINE-DSP-w-all-DSP-curves-1usedtosimulateXoverforPurified4activeloudspeakers_480x480.png

Each variant will be delivered with an optimized reference crossover design made by Peter Larsen from Loudsoft based on measurements done in a class 1 semi-anechoic chamber from IFAA .

You can enter the crossover parameters, like slope, gain, delay and so on, into your DSP for a quick start.

And together with the measurement dataset you can simulate (with for example VituixCAD) and customize the crossover to your specific goals.

As always, my snarky first thought is $5000 is quite a large sum for two PuriFi 4" woofers and a pair of nice tweeters, in minimal cabinets, with some audio consultation services by Peter Larsen.;) But I need to reduce my snarkiness!

They have a placeholder for measurements but haven't posted them (or the manual) yet.

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As always, my snarky first thought is $5000 is quite a large sum for two PuriFi 4" woofers and a pair of nice tweeters, in minimal cabinets, with some audio consultation services by Peter Larsen.;) But I need to reduce my snarkiness!
The drivers are very expensive about 1500$ Purifi and Blisma and much more expensive than most other bookshelf speakers with a 5000$ pricetag per pair. But in the end I would agree that you can't win any price performance contest with these speakers...

P.S. you can reduce the price to 3500€ by using the black finish and silk dome tweeter option.

Short38

Separate binding posts for each unit. Assume they are to be bi-amped

MAB

Major Contributor
The drivers are very expensive about 1500$ Purifi and Blisma and much more expensive than most other bookshelf speakers with a 5000$ pricetag per pair. But in the end I would agree that you can't win any price performance contest with these speakers...

P.S. you can reduce the price to 3500€ by using the black finish and silk dome tweeter option.
Yes, agreed, hence my comment "I need to reduce my snarkiness"!!!
I didn't realize you could go cheaper configuration.
But then I think, $3.5k - $5k for a small two-way!

All that being said, I am eager to see the measurements. It looks well thought out and documented, and for many people will be a fun and the whole enterprise encourages measurement and ability to adjust. Perhaps if this is sold to audiophile community, the customer will get introduced to many of the methods we talk about here, and can learn about what is actually making good sound in their room. And compared to the other tiny 2-way that is being discussed, this seems like a bargain and potentially good sounding!

JimWeir

With separate inputs, perhaps they are designed for an active crossover and biamping.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Roland68

Major Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I really don't know who buys these monstrosities.. or do they exist as single specimen to "wow" the crowds at audioshows in whatever manner? :facepalm:
There's just no explaining the human mind and peoples tastes.
When I look at the paintings and such that people consider high art and pay huge money for, I can fully grasp that
there are some who would purchase this..
They'd be better served by a frontal lobotomy ROTF
lobotomy-1.jpg

Top Bottom