• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unpopular Opinions in Music

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
It's not that I hate TS, I just don't get her. Her music lacks the 'musical maturity' I like to see, IMO. I do love Lana Del Ray, though....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL I know what you mean by Pet Sounds. As if the Beach Boys themselves actually played on it :)

The voices of Neil Young and Bob Dylan may not be the best but still generally works for me.

One album that is often revered is Jazz at the Pawnshop....while it's a well done live recording, it's just deathly boring. Some Steely Dan falls in that range, too.

Jim Taylor

Forum Donor
In general, anything termed "Modern music" gripes me. If it's atonal, polytonal, non-lyrical and non-melodic, I want nothing to do with it.

Just call me a stuffy old fogey. :p :p

Jim

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The Beatles.
I had no use for them in 1960 or ever after.
I never found very much of their music beyond mildly tolerable.
Don't see where any of the members musicianship was much to talk about.
Much of what they get credited for in the way of innovation in the studio, the credit really belongs to George Martin.
She loves you yea yea yea, yellow sub and all the rest.
No thanks, I just don't get it.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never dislike the music, I just find the way some audio people declare something an audiophile benchmark... Pink Martini, Daft Punk, Miles' ancient "Kind of Blue" recording etc etc. All completely overrated even from a "recording reference" point of view. Daft Punk for example is the equivalent of a collage, with individual tracks mixed in... and who has a reference for Niles Rodgers' riffs? Come on. Acoustic instruments are something we can use as a reference, not electronica.

I like tracks in every possible genre here and there. And there's not a single artist that makes me think *everything* they have *ever* recorded is a reference I always enjoy.
I think Random Access Memories is one of the best-mixed albums in existence, the fact that it's heavy on synthesizers doesn't really take away from that IMO. But I guess I'm just taking the bait here, since it's an unpopular opinions thread... :D

Tell

Apparently everone likes ABBA and as a swede I'm even supposed to be proud of them, but I don't get their music at all! And they even have a song called Money Money Money that I just dislike so much in every way possible, it just goes against everything I believe! Just aweful music!

egellings

Major Contributor
The Beatles.
Much of what they get credited for in the way of innovation in the studio, the credit really belongs to George Martin.
Some of their melodies were catchy, capable of spawning earworms in listeners' ears.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The Beatles.
A lot of what the Beatles got credit for in the way of innovation in the studio was due to so many sonic innovations in so many studios by so many musicians. I used to collect Beatles records, but right now there's so much other music I'd rather hear. Interesting note: Thomas Pynchon thought that the Beach Boys were more musically innovative. Their work up to Good Vibrations became increasingly sophisticated. Pet Sounds is interesting, but it's really a Brian Wilson solo record.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My most unpopular opinion on music is no doubt my lifelong distaste for grunge and, especially, Nirvana. Given my age it should be my most favorite but no - singing off key in minor scales about juvenile / infantile complaints simply never did it for me (thankfully).

But, as I've said before, for all the wreckage grunge did at the time it at least had the courtesy to become completely irrelevant very quickly. Unless it is still being made somewhere, but I've insulated myself from that.

Edit: +1 on Pet Sounds. Never got it. Wish I did.

Robin L

Master Contributor
My most unpopular opinion on music is no doubt my lifelong distaste for grunge and, especially, Nirvana. Given my age it should be my most favorite but no - singing off key in minor scales about juvenile / infantile complaints simply never did it for me (thankfully).

But, as I've said before, for all the wreckage grunge did at the time it at least had the courtesy to become completely irrelevant very quickly. Unless it is still being made somewhere, but I've insulated myself from that.

Edit: +1 on Pet Sounds. Never got it. Wish I did.
The antidote to Grunge is early Beck:

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
And they even have a song called Money Money Money that I just dislike so much in every way possible, it just goes against everything I believe!

The song goes back to before Sweden went cash-free. Perhaps that explains it ;)

Eric Natural

Conversely I might be the only 66yr old guy who absolutely loves Deadmau5

Reactions: 001

GeorgeWalk

Manfred Mann's Earth Band. I despise everything they did. They took great Bruce Springsteen songs and butchered them. It also sucks that they had hits with great songs. It is like calling yourself an artist after painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa and making a fortune for doing it. They took Bruce's excellent "Blinded by the Light" and turned it into vapid crap.

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In general, anything termed "Modern music" gripes me. If it's atonal, polytonal, non-lyrical and non-melodic, I want nothing to do with it.

Just call me a stuffy old fogey. :p :p

Jim
Ok then: With the warmest regards; you are a stuffy old fogey ;-) and I resemble your remark.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dislike the whole surf music genre especially good vibrations and Barbara Ann :) and all 50’s rock’n’roll it was like the rock genre had not found its way yet ( I do like jazz and blues and some Americana and country )

fuzzychaos

With a few exceptions, I just don’t like Classical Music. I’d rather take a cheese grater to the inside of my thighs than go to a symphony or even worse an Opera.

Top Bottom