• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unpopular Opinions in Music

Jim Taylor

Forum Donor
I just don't see why people would want to spend 20 years learning to sound like that.

Because before electricity, the only projection was a trained voice. Go to an auditorium full of people sometime, stand on stage and make yourself understood to the whole audience. It's definitely not easy!

Jim

Robin L

Master Contributor
Because before electricity, the only projection was a trained voice. Go to an auditorium full of people sometime, stand on stage and make yourself understood to the whole audience. It's definitely not easy!

Jim
This is one way Bing Crosby turns out to be a very important innovator in musical history. He was the first performer to utilize the microphone in live performance. This resulted in a sound that emphasized his lower registers, much as Frank Sinatra's performances and recordings gave his voice additional body. Later, Bing Crosby starts up the tape recorder industry, wanting to have his radio shows tape-delayed so he could play more golf. This really had major repercussions for the recording industry.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
PET SOUNDS!!!! gag. I have never liked it. The Beach Boys were a group that could put together melodies and make the most lame lyrics sound fun. Then this pile of garbage. Never understood its high esteem. When someone says, "let me put on my Pet Sounds LP", I usually say please don't.
Oh yea, I get all that and completely agree.
But then I'm a lifelong car guy and there will never be another album dedicated to car culture like Little Deuce Coupe.
Probably rightly so, who's gonna write songs dedicated to the overpriced look-alike crap boxes being built today?
Unless you have very deep pockets what youth can afford the likes of a C8 Vette, Demon powered Challenger, Mustang Dark Horse, etc. :(

003-1962-Chevrolet-Chevy-Bel-Air-Bubble-Top-Honduras-409-Mecum-2023-Harrisburg-Fawn.jpg

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unpopular Opinions of Music: I first took the topic heading to mean music which busted the charts despite unpopularity and bashing by the reviewers/critics.
Ramones and BeastieBoys immediately came to my mind, even before reading @Ghostofmerlin's first sentence.
...then, I realized @Sal1950 is 100% correct about Beatles and also about that much wrong regarding (those whining little) Beach'dBoys.:facepalm:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, not something I do regularly. Not enough tuxedoes in my closet, for one.
I only attended two when I lived in the city, quite a long time ago.....just rented a tux and enjoyed the evening's music/food....and people watching was pretty good.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I only attended two when I lived in the city, quite a long time ago.....just rented a tux and enjoyed the evening's music/food....and people watching was pretty good.
The best people watching I've ever experienced was at the horse racing tracks in the Chicago area.
There just seems to be something about gambling and the ponies that seems to attract some of the strangest
characters I've yet experienced. LOL

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The best people watching I've ever experienced was at the horse racing tracks in the Chicago area.
There just seems to be something about gambling and the ponies that seems to attract some of the strangest
characters I've yet experienced. LOL
The one time I've been to a horsetrack (in Emeryville) gotta admit there were some pretty interesting characters hanging around in the stables as well as in the stands, plus I made money that day betting on my sister-in-law's father's horse (it won its race, even got to go to the winners circle and all that). Went to Chez Panisse that night.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The one time I've been to a horsetrack (in Emeryville) gotta admit there were some pretty interesting characters hanging around in the stables as well as in the stands, plus I made money that day betting on my sister-in-law's father's horse (it won its race, even got to go to the winners circle and all that). Went to Chez Panisse that night.
Great !
All I've ever done with any kind of gambling was to lose my shorts.
I put it in CD's now. ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Great !
All I've ever done with any kind of gambling was to lose my shorts.
I put it in CD's now. ;)
LOL I doubt I'm ahead overall, but that was a pretty good day. Didn't have to pay for dinner either. Only CDs I "invest" in are the ones that play music :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think everyone has a band or album that is "the best" that they just don't like.
I do hate using the term "hate".
But one performer I really don't like and I haven't heard named here is,
Taylor (pure snake-oil) Swift.
I had no use for her when she first arrived in one of my favorite genres, country music, but I figured all the 13 yo girls
would eventually tire of her and she'd disappear.. She did from country music but I never in a million years would have
guessed what would come of her next.
I still don't have a clue over her crazy popularity except for, all the young girls want to look like her, and all the young boys want to have her..
There must be some real marketing genius behind this snake-oil. :facepalm:

OP
G

Ghostofmerlin

Forum Donor
I do hate using the term "hate".
But one performer I really don't like and I haven't heard named here is,
Taylor (pure snake-oil) Swift.
I had no use for her when she first arrived in one of my favorite genres, country music, but I figured all the 13 yo girls
would eventually tire of her and she'd disappear.. She did from country music but I never in a million years would have
guessed what would come of her next.
I still don't have a clue over her crazy popularity except for, all the young girls want to look like her, and all the young boys want to have her..
There must be some real marketing genius behind this snake-oil. :facepalm:
I really enjoy me some poppy synthesizer music, but it does get tiresome listening to all of the slights that have been done to poor little billionaire Taylor.

Thankfully, my niece (who spends a lot of ti,e with my family) is a GIANT fan.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beastie boys are more versatile than one migth think if you move on from their first album .

thier instrumental albums for example.

The In Sound From Way Out

The Mix Up

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
It's not that I hate TS, I just don't get her. Her music lacks the 'musical maturity' I like to see, IMO. I do love Lana Del Ray, though....
I haven't even heard 5% of her material (not into earlier country for sure) but this ain't too bad

So if she has more songs like this then I can kind of get how she's big, but I'd also agree with Neil Tennant of Pet Shop Boys that she doesn't have any Billy Jean of her own.
Overall music lacks melody these days, and in the song that I linked to the music is kind of underdeveloped.
___
Speaking of big, I had no idea who Doja Cat was, but apparently some of her songs have about half a billion listens on YT, and that's basically rubbish all the way the through.
Even supposed sexy songs have zero sexiness to it

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rap and Country music.

Simple music can be very beautiful but is often banal and uninteresting.
I remember a time when I would be obsessed by a song and play it to death for a few weeks after I bought the record then have no interest in ever playing it again.

Very, very few of my non-classical recordings from the last 60 years ever get played any more some of the first classical stuff I first fell into by accident in my 20s I still enjoy. As a teenager I would never have believed it.

Audioagnostic

Lumping all classical music together is silly.

However. The older I get the more I hate Bachs religious music. The st Matthews passion is basically cringe religious kitch. Terrible. The cantates are a form of musical diarrhea.

His secular music is of course brilliant dont get me wrong.

Modern music but probably not really unpopular. Never mind the bollocks plain sucks.

In general though, I have been buying industrial amounts of CDs at thrift stores and find that my appreciation for lots of genres has increased.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
The older I get the more I hate Bachs religious music. The st Matthews passion is basically cringe religious kitch. Terrible. The cantates are a form of musical diarrhea.

This is not something you can say out loud without looking over your shoulder :)

But strangely, I agree. Bach’s vocal setting just doesn’t cut it for me. There are a few gems among the huge œvre, but most of the cantatas are hard for me to stomach. Bass coloraturas? Give me a break.

Now, it is entirely possible that we just don’t know how to read the music right, or that today’s singers don’t have the right technique. But the way it is performed these days it sounds like cackling, not music.

His secular music is of course brilliant dont get me wrong.

Absolutely, no doubt about that. The instrumental music is delightful.

Audioagnostic

Now, it is entirely possible that we just don’t know how to read the music right, or that today’s singers don’t have the right technique. But the way it is performed these days it sounds like cackling, not music.

It may just be a function of getting older...

However, I have seen the st Matthews many times, also in "original" versions in a church with small choirs, boys for sopranos, original instruments etc. So pretty much as it should have sounded in Bachs time. I now find it religious kitsch. Disegarding the obvious discomfort of sitting on a wooden church chair for three hours. Also at home, I cannot stand it anymore...

Top Bottom