• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unpopular Opinions in Music

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
When I hear 'classic rock' these days I just think of buttrock. I had a part-time job where I had protective headphones that had a built-in radio on them so I got to listen to a rock radio station through most of my work days. They really just played the same 70s/80s/90s hits all over again. "Here is Iron Maiden's 'Run to the Hills' for the 15th time today!". I really wonder if those radio hosts wanted to jump out of their office windows from having to listen to the same buttrock hits over and over again.
Some radio stations didn't even use shuffle. It would always be the same order at the same times. I used to like the idea of HD Radio but the most of time, the sound quality is barely max MP3 quality. At least you got more stations ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I would rather listen to 70s to 90s rock hits over and over then listen to modern day radio stations mashing 80s pop songs with modern music. The person that thinks Whitney Houston and Bruno Mars go great together, are the same ones that think french fries should be dipped in shakes.

ta240

Major Contributor
When I hear 'classic rock' these days I just think of buttrock. I had a part-time job where I had protective headphones that had a built-in radio on them so I got to listen to a rock radio station through most of my work days. They really just played the same 70s/80s/90s hits all over again. "Here is Iron Maiden's 'Run to the Hills' for the 15th time today!". I really wonder if those radio hosts wanted to jump out of their office windows from having to listen to the same buttrock hits over and over again.
Back in the day of DJs, I had a professor that said you take the job they offer and turn the volume down while the songs play.

OP
G

Ghostofmerlin

Forum Donor
Here are a couple of new entries, from me:

1. 38 special is really a pretty amazing band. They might be the best band of the 80s

2. Time is ELO's best album. It breaks barriers and is a monument to music.

Dimitri

Time is ELO's best album. It breaks barriers and is a monument to music.
I love original ELO. I could keep almost any pre-1986 song on "repeat" all day.

As for what Lynne is doing nowdays...I can do without.
But not quite at the very bottom of the barrel like Billy Eye-lish.

At least Lynne was part of something monumentaly great in the past. He should have kept it this way.

OP
G

Ghostofmerlin

Forum Donor
I guess I don't know the connection between him and Billy. Either way, old musicians do dumb things. It's universal.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Frank Zappa was probably a genius, but he made very little music that is listenable.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Frank Zappa was probably a genius, but he made very little music that is listenable.
I used to think he was an incredible musician, but the more I learned about him, the less I liked him or what he was up to. All that Synclavier noise he made indicated that he was suffering from caffeine and nicotine poisoning. Similar things could be said for his attempts at "concert" music.

Eric Clapton is grossly overrated.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree. So many think he is the beez kneez. I do think he was an incredible musician and very insightful in some ways. As an artist producing music to enjoy.........pretty big fail on that one.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can listen to wicked Frank Zappa wanking on the guitar all day long...LoL. The classical Frank Zappa stuff I am not so keen on.

Soria Moria

This is probably not unpopular here but around 'normal people' I am so tired of hearing how they 'like every genre except country'. There are so many genres in the world and most people have only heard 1% of them at most. They would never get into harsh noise. But my bigger issue with what they're saying is that country is this terrible genre which it really isn't. Most people just have a bad exposure to country where every country song/album they know about is some radio pop rock country that all sound the same like Jason Aldean for example. Check out this video:
Country has a lot of great music it is just that the top 40/radio portion of it is mostly filled with crap as with a lot of mainstream appeal genres.

Miguelón

My contribution to classical: Lang Lang and Yuja Wang, the later plays as an automatic weapon but no soul beyond her acrobatics… Lang Lang uses to look upwards constantly during concerts, arguably contemplating his bank account rising:)

Top Bottom