• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(Unofficial) Topping D50 III DAC review and measurements

Sokel

Master Contributor
2.19W

<0.45A
Some DACs (and interfaces mostly) may ask more at their limits sometimes.
Amanero based ones for example asked for more than 0.7A for 384Khz playback or high rate DSD.

It's nice that it has the aux power input,for long or crappy USB cables for example that could assist.

mash

Nice. For me the PEQ is the big news here. Not in its current form but what it could eventually become. Ideally, I would like to be able to set different profiles for the two outputs so that I could use it to configure the cross over in a 2.1 setup. Also add PEQ support to all the inputs as others have mentioned. If you want a full featured preamp, you would need a high quality ADC input and auto room measurement/correction. A person can hope.......but, just the fact that Topping is getting into the software feature world is a good news.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The PEQ can only be configured using "Topping Tune" for Windows.

It's set and forget. The PEQ settings are stored on device:
View attachment 363691
Also, read the user manual before asking!
Thanks. I did see that section in the manual but had no idea what Topping were referring to, I actually thought 'PEQ project' was referring to some future firmware release. I have topping devices. Their manuals are not exactly up to RME to standards :)

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also add PEQ support to all the inputs as others have mentioned. If you want a full featured preamp, you would need a high quality ADC input and auto room measurement/correction. A person can hope...
To be fair, that's another challenge.
Our guess, in another thread, was that Topping is using the DSP capabilities of the XMOS XU-316 chip, originaly meant to decode USB.
We think that's why it's only available for USB inputs.
Doing so for other inputs would probably require to implement a separate hardware DSP, which is a fully different story (and another cost).

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Heil, mein Führer!

Are you serious? He's just asking a question!
Probably 40% of my time on ASR is spent reading the user manual of other people's products to answer their questions, because they can't be bothered to do it themselves.

It's not by chance that "RTFM" is such a ubiquitous expression on online forums.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Does the PEQ have any effect on the performance?

staticV3

Master Contributor
What does "the D50 III can use this configuration offline" mean? Without USB connection?
AFAIK the D50 III only supports PEQ on its USB input.

With offline, they probably mean without an active connection to Topping Tune, meaning that you can configure the PEQ on one PC, store it onto the DAC, then use that PEQ on another PC, Mac, or Linux.

@Rja4000 should be able to tell us more once he tests the PEQ function.

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What does "the D50 III can use this configuration offline" mean? Without USB connection? I am still wondering if that offline setting can work on other inputs.
No, it does NOT work with other inputs. NEVER.
But it does work if you set up your EQ with the windows app, then disconnect the PC, then connect and play from a smartphone through USB.

DearSX

Only issue I have with it is the price, at $230 it can't be better than my $2000 dac. They should raise the prices to at least $2300, so I can claim it better than any sub $2k DAC, otherwise the low price is a deal breaker for my ego.

It's like the new EVs cant have less noise than by Bentley, I paid more so I have more quiet, maybe.

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only issue I have with it is the price, at $230 it can't be better than my $2000 dac. They should raise the prices to at least $2300, so I can claim it better than any sub $2k DAC, otherwise the low price is a deal breaker for my ego.
I don't find the Lol emoticon
Ah, here it is :

:D:D:D

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Heil, mein Führer!

Are you serious? He's just asking a question!

A bit harsh, don't you think?

@staticV3 is day in day out one of the most helpful, patient members on this forum, and I don't know how you could feel that's appropriate.

AudioKC

fantastic dac and fantastic review. I love that test with sin wave at noise floor for 16bit. Why though 997hz?

Got my answer from GPT.

Choosing 997 Hz instead of a round 1,000 Hz for test signals is a practice that stems from the early days of audio engineering. This specific frequency can help avoid synchronization issues with test equipment that might be operating on cycles synchronized to a 1 kHz tone, which is a multiple of power line frequencies in many countries (like 50 Hz or 60 Hz). By using a frequency like 997 Hz, which is prime and not harmonically related to power line frequencies, it reduces the chance of interference in the measurements from external sources.

The specific level of -90.31 dBFS instead of a round -90 dBFS might be used for several reasons:

1. **Precision**: -90.31 dB could be the result of a specific test setup where the output level happens to be -90.31 dB, and the testers are reporting the exact figure for accuracy.
2. **Standardized Test Levels**: It could also be a standardized level from a specific testing methodology or protocol that aims to challenge the DAC with a very precise and potentially non-standard level to check its performance under more unique conditions.
3. **Reference Recordings**: Some test tones or reference recordings come at preset levels, and the tester might have used one such tone that is calibrated at -90.31 dBFS.

The reason for such precision is to ensure consistency and repeatability in testing. When comparing multiple devices or conducting multiple tests over time, having exact figures allows testers to notice the smallest differences or changes in performance.

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The specific level of -90.31 dBFS
-90.31 dBFS is not a random value
That's exactly the level of the 15th bit. [ 20*LOG10(2^-15) ]
That's why you see those "stairs" in the signal - what you expect with a signal toggling the last 2 bits in a (non dithered) 16 bits signal.

But don't tell GPT: we have our secrets, us humans...

Last edited:

yanm

Forum Donor
Argh, looking at the user manual: the D50 III seems not to have IR control, only Bluetooth. That’s unfortunately a deal breaker for me as it will not play nice with the Logitech Harmony control I use for my A/V setup. :(

Top Bottom