• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Understanding FPGAs

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't get it, do error correction fail-safes not exist for such designs, something akin to ECC RAM for example? (I'm talking about your bit flips post, not this RNG generator topic).
Yeah, I didn't want delve into the fixes too much...
A brief summary:
- A checksum can be run periodically on the FPGA RAM and auto-reset on a mismatch to reload from ROM.
- In safety-critical applications (like a flight control computer) there are often 3 computers running in parallel, with voting to detect when one system disagrees with the other 2. A disagreement can cause rebooting the errant FPGA. If another disagreement occurs, it is logged in a systems diagnostic computer as a hard fault (not an NSEU, just broken) and that computer is locked out for the rest of the flight.
- Another approach simply resets and reloads the FPGA RAM at a fixed interval, for example 250 mS. So an NSEU-caused miscalculation can have an effect, but it is very temporary.

These work only because the odds of 2 or 3 devices being hit by an NSEU in the same RAM cell at the same time are infinitesimally low.

For what it's worth, I haven't seen any radiation hardened FPGAs in my work (avionics and aerospace), only commercial grade FPGAs, because buying and stocking thousands of one-time-build hardened (i.e., expensive) spares for an aircraft that will be in use >50 years gets outrageously expensive, and the solutions listed above far exceed the reliability requirements.

Last edited:
Top Bottom