• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UMC204HD questions...

shankara

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying the UMC204HD as a DAC for listening and for some simple recording applications. My plan is to pair it with the Objective 2 headphone amp (desktop version). I have a few questions on the subject:

1. Will the UMC204HD outperform other audio interfaces (or DACs, though this isn't really a solution for me) in it's price range or up to say 200 Euros? The Roland Rubix22 or the Zoom UAC-2 for example? I don't mean in terms of latency or the headphone output, just distortion of the DAC at the line outs.

2. I read here that the UMC404HD has a line level output of about -20dBu (!), leaving sufficient headroom, obviously will be the same or less for the 204. Is this correct? If so, how much (x or db)gain will I need to drive open-backed studio headphones such as the AKG K701 or Senheiser HD650... Of course they won't be the same but what would be the minimum to drive pretty much whatever I want to connect to it?

ascorbyl

Behringer is probably the best you can get in that price range in terms of performance for value. Next step up would probably be Focusrite or Audient (both pricy in comparison).

I would say minimum 4x gain for the HD650. I get to about 2 o’ clock on high gain on the JDS Atom. I don’t know about the K701, but if sensitivity is anything to go by, they should be just fine.

Also, if you want to use direct “zero latency” monitoring, that is only available on the headphone out on the front of the audio interface.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You can get better than -20dBu; I have the identical-except-channel-numbers 404HD and measured it at 0 dBu. The DAC works extremely well- if that output is sufficient, the jitter and distortion performance driven via USB are excellent, and it's an astonishing bargain.

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can get better than -20dBu; I have the identical-except-channel-numbers 404HD and measured it at 0 dBu. The DAC works extremely well- if that output is sufficient, the jitter and distortion performance driven via USB are excellent, and it's an astonishing bargain.
How is the recording quality in 404? Can you record pro level vocals with it?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If you use an external mike preamp, it can work, but it's not as outstanding as the DAC. For recording, I usually use a Scarlett 2i2.

Oukkidoukki

Ok........tempted to try cause so cheap and I have a pre amp...thanks

OP
S

shankara

So if I pair it with the Objective 2 with 6.5x gain this should be enough for pretty much any headphone? Or should get a bit more gain just to be on the safe side?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
For headphones with which I'm familiar, that's far more than enough.

OP
S

shankara

Well, by headphones I mean PA speakers...

Ok so the Objective 2 thing comes with 2.5x and 6.5x gain options as standard, I imagine that will be enough for my needs then. Thanks for the response.

bigx5murf

I have the exact setup you're describing, and just a word of warning, these items will not be equipped to play together out of the box. The behringer outputs are mono 1/4" jacks, and the o2 input is a stereo 3.5mm jack. You will need some connectors and cables, that aren't always easy to find locally.

ascorbyl

I have the exact setup you're describing, and just a word of warning, these items will not be equipped to play together out of the box. The behringer outputs are mono 1/4" jacks, and the o2 input is a stereo 3.5mm jack. You will need some connectors and cables, that aren't always easy to find locally.

You would correct if they were talking about the UMC202HD. There are RCA monitor outputs on the UMC204HD that they can use.

Last edited:

bequietjk

Currently I have a UMC404 and can speak for the dac, it's nice. Output is a little lower than my ENOG2 but the 404 is clean.

My testing went:

PC via optical > UMC404 > Atom amp > HD600

OP
S

shankara

Yeah planning to get the Objective 2 with RCA inputs. From what I read the 404 is the same and the purported difference in dynamic range only applies when using the direct monitoring output (apparently because there are more mic pres).

OP
S

shankara

So I found this on the Behringer forum:

"If comparing the smaller (UMC202HD/UMC204HD) to the bigger model (UMC404HD), Digital-to-Analog Out (signal from a DAW), the dynamic range is quite the same.

If comparing from Analog In to Analog Out (via Direct Monitoring) the noise floor on UMC404HD is slightly higher due to the more preamps/channels, so the dynamic range in turn is a little bit lower. Our department measured a difference of approx. 6 dB, not 10 dB as mentioned in the QSG, but this might be caused by a different measurement method used to determine the specs listed in our QSG.

However, please know that the different code chips specifically have no influence on the dynamic range.

Long story short:
UMC404HD has more channels > higher noise floor > resulting lower dynamic range"

Which to me suggests that for listening purposes there would be no difference between the UMC204HD and UMC404HD... am I right?

Also found the Cirrus Logic CS4272 chip mentioned as the DAC chip in 404 on another forum, seems to be the same as in the 204.

OP
S

shankara

Hi. Ended up buying the UMC404HD. Question (which may not be answerable, I dunno, maybe you'd need knowledge of the circuitry)... if I plug the UMC in with the wall wart will it sound different? Better? Someone somewhere mentioned something about mains noise.

Reinhold

has someone measured the voltage from the both cinch lineouts?
i've connected a topping a30 amp and i have to say that i cant hear a big difference in quality and available power compared to the internal headphone amp from umc204hd.

OP
S

shankara

i've connected a topping a30 amp and i have to say that i cant hear a big difference in quality and available power compared to the internal headphone amp from umc204hd.

I have the UMC404HD connected to an Objective2 by the lineouts and the sound has both a much higher maximum volume and much, much less distortion. Even the headphone output on my laptop has more volume and less distortion than the Behringer headphone output. (Headphones are AKG K712s.)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Behringer Headphone out sucks compared to most dedicated headphone amps... period
Great DAC (Have 202 and 204) though.

Bob-23

It depends on the level of the input signal: Given a 1khz test tone via Vlc-Player/PulsAudio I measure RCA-out ~1.43V , if at max. volume = 153% (Vlc via PulseAudio), both of the cinch/RCA outputs measure the same, the headphone-out then measures 0.97V at 12 o' clock, 2.05V at max. vol.. If Vlc at 100% volume, then RCA-out: 1.12 V and headphone-out: 1,87 V at max. vol. and at 12 o'clock: 0,82 V.

I wouldn't surmount the headphone-outs' 12 o'clock-Position though, sound quality may suffer... Headphone out seems to be made for monitoring while recording rather than for hifi-listening (the UMC204HD is first of all a sturdy audio interface for recording)... I use it as a DAC via line-out and amps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom