• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trying to understand the turntable/vinyl world...

Robin L

Master Contributor
If you want to check out some hedonism Bob Spitz bio Led Zeppelin. They where some sick Mofos.
And I'd say check out Tyler Mehan Coe's "Cocaine & Rhinestones" podcast for the feral insanity of George Jones:

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lacey, oddly enough, is in the middle of Olympia Washington. And that stretch of Martin might as well be Blackstone Blvd. in Fresno CA architecturally and esthetically speaking. 420 Carpenter is one of the saving graces of that general locality, but it's around the corner on Carpenter [natch.] However, the woods are very close by, close enough to heaven for me.
Oh I know. I grew up in Oly. My sister lived in Thompson place and my best friend lives in Hawke’s Prairie. My dad taught at St. Martins and I played in those woods. Just hate that stretch of Martin Way.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Oh I know. I grew up in Oly. My sister lived in Thompson place and my best friend lives in Hawke’s Prairie. My dad taught at St. Martins and I played in those woods. Just hate that stretch of Martin Way.
Only here since July 2019. Interesting note: It was the process of moving here that made me decide to give up LPs after 50 years.

DoLEurJW0AElKXP.jpg

Godataloss

Now you are talking to the strengths of vinyl. At last. This is what it takes to, as per the title, understand the TT/vinyl world. Making money out of people who are willing to pay stupid prices per song. What a club to join.
Or you know you could view it as actually supporting the artists VS streaming or downloading which typically pay them nothing.

Newman

Major Contributor
Please, let’s not start a myth that the record industry met their obligations to pay artists before streaming came along…

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Keeping the trolls out, is a challenge - this is one of the best - others that I have enjoyed are VinylEngine, AudioKarma, Audiocircle and AVS... but there have been lots of ups and downs over the years.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This phrase is at least 460 years old. It was used by a poet named Thomas Tusser in a poem he wrote called Five Hundred Points of Good Husbandry, in the year 1557. While the wording is a bit different, the expression is still similar enough to the one that’s used today:

“A foole and his money be soone at debate: which after with sorow repents him too late.”
AKA
A fool and his money are soon parted

Newman

Major Contributor
Unfortunately in too many cases, when an audio fool and his money are soon parted, instead of repenting with sorrow as per the poem, he celebrates with gusto into eternity.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Unfortunately in too many cases, when an audio fool and his money are soon parted, instead of repenting with sorrow as per the poem, he celebrates with gusto into eternity.
Nothing jacks up serotonin receptors like the anticipation of a shiny new gizmo.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

And then feels the need to try to convince others to part with their money too.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could have been any taste in the world, but you guys chose to be salty.

Check out my latest record and know that i enjoy it very much:
PXL_20220517_190154605.jpg

Newman

Major Contributor
I just threw a playlist together of all the same songs and enjoyed it even more than if I had gone the Vinyl Travail route…and I didn’t even name-call you on the way…no need.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vinyl and a couple of glasses of wine don’t go together.
That is why both my TT's are fully automatic. (A DUAL 1229 & a TECHNICS SL-M3) If I can get the record onto the plater & turn the TT on, it will take care of it from there.
(this is the 1019 DUAL but the operating parameters are the same)
( this is the TECHNICS SL-M3)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That could open a window for us to have a hidden vinyl thread, titled "Birdspotting, how long did you wait in the garden today?". We could discuss vinyl trivia, like cool albums or strange cartridges, undisturbed and unbothered.

Such great idea, one thread would be nice. Rational people discussing their hobby.
Ah, so you want to turn ASR into another Head-Fi, or Audiophile Style, Computer Audiophile, etc, etc.
That's a couple where they have threads that ban objective audiophiles from attempting to enlighten believers of all the snake-oil products like expensive power cords, digital cables, magic dot's, and all the rest. Can't have the subjectives getting their feelings hurt from telling them the scientific facts on cables, etc.

If you really want protected threads for vinyl lovers I'm sure you'd find a welcome home at Mikey Fremers Analog Planet. The facts are that by any measure the vinyl playback medium has been vastly inferior to digital almost since it's inception. Spreading the word on what's scientifically true, vs things that are products of the imagination, is the main reason Amir started this website. I don't think he is about to start hiding these facts from our readers.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, so you want to turn ASR into another Head-Fi, or Audiophile Style, Computer Audiophile, etc, etc.
That's a couple where they have threads that ban objective audiophiles from attempting to enlighten believers of all the snake-oil products like expensive power cords, digital cables, magic dot's, and all the rest. Can't have the subjectives getting their feelings hurt from telling them the scientific facts on cables, etc.

If you really want protected threads for vinyl lovers I'm sure you'd find a welcome home at Mikey Fremers Analog Planet. The facts are that by any measure the vinyl playback medium has been vastly inferior to digital almost since it's inception. Spreading the word on what's scientifically true, vs things that are products of the imagination, is the main reason Amir started this website. I don't think he is about to start hiding these facts from our readers.
Measurement wise your absolutely correct. In terms of audibility the difference between the two is much closer. All the great measurements here likely do nothing past a THD+N of 85 and that is in ideal circumstances. Playing lossless streaming and an LP of the same song volume matched using an A/B switch to go back and forth, the difference was very slight. And it wasn’t noise or distortion(harmonics) that separated them, but the mono bass and the rolled off highs. One of the joys for me of vinyl is just how good it is for such a stupid system. Also, as I said upthread, it helps me give up all the fussing and control and focus on the music. It’s never going to be perfect, but it is good enough, so just get your groove on. I shoot film occasionally over digital for the same reason. It’s not better, but the restrictions can help narrow my focus on what’s important.

sometimes it might be fun to talk about that without having people call me delusional or dumb or ignorant. Fine. I’m all those things. I’ve been told. Repeatedly. Thank you.

I just picked up Low’s Hey What. Cranking that thing is pure bliss. I love me a fully automatic turntable with repeat!

Top Bottom