• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trying to understand the turntable/vinyl world...

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've not seen any actual data on either.
Not a complete answer to the question, but a general indicator.

From what I have seen of Paul Miller, he has likely compensated for the distortion on the test disc to the extent that I can be reasonably sure that any record I'm likely to play has more distortion than his test rig. I.e his measurements are likely a best case scenario.

Last edited:

JP

Major Contributor
Not a complete answer to the question, but a general indicator.

From what I have seen of Paul Miller, he has likely compensated for the distortion on the test disc to the extent that I can be reasonably sure that any record I'm likely to play has more distortion than his test rig. I.e his measurements are likely a best case scenario.

The distortion will vary with frequency and level. There are tons of plots around here that show 2H and 3H - most are in the same general neighborhood.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What if we just started 20 new vinyl threads titled "I liked this record" or "This was a nice tune on LP" and then abandon them to those that constantly need to remind everyone that vinyl is worse than CD? We could just feed a post or two every week ("man, this record sure sounds great") to keep them occupied for maybe month.

That could open a window for us to have a hidden vinyl thread, titled "Birdspotting, how long did you wait in the garden today?". We could discuss vinyl trivia, like cool albums or strange cartridges, undisturbed and unbothered. :p
catte.gif

Godataloss

What if we just started 20 new vinyl threads titled "I liked this record" or "This was a nice tune on LP" and then abandon them to those that constantly need to remind everyone that vinyl is worse than CD? We could just feed a post or two every week ("man, this record sure sounds great") to keep them occupied for maybe month.

That could open a window for us to have a hidden vinyl thread, titled "Birdspotting, how long did you wait in the garden today?". We could discuss vinyl trivia, like cool albums or strange cartridges, undisturbed and unbothered. :p
View attachment 196451
I made over $600 Saturday in a couple hours selling records. I purchased a pile of records that I will easily be able to double my money on in a few months. Let's see a digital nerd do that with their hard drives.

drmevo

See my PS above. It was this thread. Keep digging.
Why not quit beating around the bush and quote it already? Otherwise your point has no merit. Agree with @MattHooper, I haven't seen a single person claiming vinyl superiority in this thread, nor is it a common attitude on the site as a whole. There are certainly way more people who are quick to point out that vinyl is inferior - it's not even close.

Newman

Major Contributor
I made over $600 Saturday in a couple hours selling records. I purchased a pile of records that I will easily be able to double my money on in a few months. Let's see a digital nerd do that with their hard drives.
Now you are talking to the strengths of vinyl. At last. This is what it takes to, as per the title, understand the TT/vinyl world. Making money out of people who are willing to pay stupid prices per song. What a club to join.

levimax

Major Contributor
Now you are talking to the strengths of vinyl. At last. This is what it takes to, as per the title, understand the TT/vinyl world. Making money out of people who are willing to pay stupid prices per song. What a club to join.
Funny thing is all the people that paid stupid prices for LP's over the last 10 years are now looking pretty smart. Markets reflect supply and demand and are impersonal just like science. LP's are offering people something that CD's, digital files, and streaming are not and they are willing to pay for it.

Nutsfortubes

Try to clean the seeds from your weed and roll a joint with your hard drive while listening to dark side of the moon.

Nutsfortubes

A LP has 8 to 12 songs not one.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Try to clean the seeds from your weed and roll a joint with your hard drive while listening to dark side of the moon.
[ahem---the stuff's been seedless ever since prop 215].
[try to vape your Jack Herer while dropping the needle on your Lynard Skynyrd LP back in the day---wait a minute, there wasn't Jack Herer back in the day.]
[or a vape, for that matter.]

Robin L

Master Contributor
No prop 215 here in the land of the Boss.
Something approaching 10 billboards for dispensaries between Carpenter and Kinwood on Martin in Lacey, at least five dispensaries within a mile. Different place.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something approaching 10 billboards for dispensaries between Carpenter and Kinwood on Martin in Lacey, at least five dispensaries within a mile. Different place.
How many people are going to know where the eff you’re talking about. I mean people from Lacey, don’t even know where it starts or ends, much less the nothingness that stretch of road passes through.

Although it’s changed since I’ve lived there, that but of road always struck me as purgatory. Now it’s purgatory with pot.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A LP has 8 to 12 songs not one.
I rent all my music (except what I buy on vinyl). But per song isn’t it about $1.30 for digital now? New vinyl costs between $18 and $28. So it’s about one and a third to double? Not bad for the record, the art work, and also the digital download. If you like those things. If not, options are available, as they say.

Now the used market, where collectors pay crazy amounts for “historic” LPs that they likely won’t even play, that I find weird.

Robin L

Master Contributor
How many people are going to know where the eff you’re talking about. I mean people from Lacey, don’t even know where it starts or ends, much less the nothingness that stretch of road passes through.

Although it’s changed since I’ve lived there, that but of road always struck me as purgatory. Now it’s purgatory with pot.
Lacey, oddly enough, is in the middle of Olympia Washington. And that stretch of Martin might as well be Blackstone Blvd. in Fresno CA architecturally and esthetically speaking. 420 Carpenter is one of the saving graces of that general locality, but it's around the corner on Carpenter [natch.] However, the woods are very close by, close enough to heaven for me.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Top Bottom