• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B00tySalads

Current setup: Dragonfly Black 1.0 -> Definitive Technology Incline Powered Speakers

Please go easy on me, I worked at Best buy YEARS ago and utilized my discount for some AQ stuff, the Dragonfly seemed like a great product for my very basic needs.

I am wanting to upgrade to another USB based product for the form factor, trying to understand if I need an Amp/DAC or just a DAC?

Do I need anything at all for my Def Tech Inclines to begin with? Coming to understand that maybe the Dragonfly hasn't been doing anything at all (even the DAC).

As not good as it may be, I might keep using the Dragonfly for my Penrose's if I get a different product that could enhance the Inclines, and if nothing can truly make a huge difference on those, then I can shift to getting an amp/DAC for my Penrose's.

Not worried about specific items/prices (I have a wonderful website here to look through for that!) but really wanna know what will have an impact or the better way to set it up.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Your powered speakers have a USB input so adding another DAC just adds another round of conversion. I don’t see any way of “enhancing” the Inclines by adding extra components. If you are unhappy with the audio quality you are hearing, the path to improvement is through purchasing better monitors. If you are happy with the audio, happy days…no other purchase is needed.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed - go straight from PC usb to speaker USB.

OP
B00tySalads

B00tySalads

Your powered speakers have a USB input so adding another DAC just adds another round of conversion. I don’t see any way of “enhancing” the Inclines by adding extra components. If you are unhappy with the audio quality you are hearing, the path to improvement is through purchasing better monitors. If you are happy with the audio, happy days…no other purchase is needed.
I think the audio from them is excellent for what they are. I've been using the 3.5mm connection as it was easier than the USB connection. But, I wasn't sure if they could go through anything to be "better" just for the sake of it. Thanks!

Top Bottom