• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Troubleshooting 2.1 PC speakers.

xty

Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to speaker systems, I've recently bought Edifiers S730 2.1 speakers, 1x sub with 2x satellite speakers along with it. However after connecting everything using included speaker wires, and then connecting them to my PC, I've noticed there's a high pitched kind of humming/squealing/ whistle kind of sound coming from the speakers, I've tried to search online for solutions but nothing really helped me resolve the issues, I bought high-end cables to see if that would resolve the issue but its still present, could it be an issue with the subwoofer?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Does it make the noise when it's not connected to the computer? Did you have speakers connected to the same computer before? The 1st thing to know is if the noise is coming from the speakers or the computer.

If it's coming from the speakers, I'd say they are defective.

If it's coming from the computer you may need to get a USB soundcard or a DAC. Noise is an analog problem so it would be the analog-side of the soundcard. High pitch noise usually originates from a switching power supply. Lower frequency hum usually originates from a "linear" power supply. This can happen with a USB soundcard too, because noise can get-in through the USB power. A DAC with it's own power supply is usually "foolproof".

OP
X

xty

It does make the noise when not connected to the computer yes, before I also had edifier speakers connected to my PC, but didn't have this problem, I don't have a sound card in the pc but I do have an externally connected audio interface.

So in that case would it be a problem with the power supply within the sub ?

Top Bottom