• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trichord Dino Upgrade

Pegwill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Guys
I’m looking to upgrade my Trichord Dino phono stage (this is an original model, now referred to I believe as the Mark 1). It is quite a few years old, I did buy it new. I use it with a Hana SL cartridge which is a moving coil. Thinking about the age of the thing I was wondering with technology having moved on if there are any better available for a reasonable amount of money? without spending mega bucks, that will give me an noticeable increase in performance.

Many thanks for looking

Regards

Pegwill

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Guys
I’m looking to upgrade my Trichord Dino phono stage (this is an original model, now referred to I believe as the Mark 1). It is quite a few years old, I did buy it new. I use it with a Hana SL cartridge which is a moving coil. Thinking about the age of the thing I was wondering with technology having moved on if there are any better available for a reasonable amount of money? without spending mega bucks, that will give me an noticeable increase in performance.

Many thanks for looking

Regards

Pegwill
Looks like no one ever got back to you on this; not a whole lot of vinyl aficionados on ASR. Nothing wrong with using an older phono; newer ones are not necessarily better. My secondhand Bryston BP-1.5 is at least 25 years old and it sounds wonderful with the Hana SL.

One newish technology to consider for MC cartridges is transimpedance amplification. There are a few older transimpedance phonos out there, but the technology has matured in recent years. It only works with low impedance MC cartridges, but the reviews are that it sounds sublime. Ron Sutherland makes a few different models at different price points. I’m looking forward to a Sutherland Little Loco to be my last phono upgrade. Ron highly praised the Hana EL with his Phono Loco for his own home use.

OP
P

Pegwill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi
Thanks for getting back to me. I will check it out.

Regards

Pegwill

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
Thanks for getting back to me. I will check it out.

Regards

Pegwill
My pleasure. Another notable transimpedance phono is the Channel D Lino C 2.0 .

Top Bottom