• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Transistors challenge vacuum tubes - the beginning...

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was 12 years old when the below film was produced, and four years away from assembling my first component HiFi system, the heart of which was a Bell Sound Model 2300, a 6L6 push-pull mono amplifier. My nostalgia for the electronics of my youth is manifested by having a quad of EL34's and a pair of 6SN7 glowing away three feet to my right in a modern "tubes on top" YarLand amplifier (photo below the Bell amplifier) that integrates an appealing modern design with old-school technology tweaked to provide low-distortion amplification with no audible noise and hum.

Bell 2300 Front + Back.jpg

FV-34B-S-DVH-02.jpg

Bell Sound was a pioneer in home audio, and the 2300 was a "between" model made for a couple of years as the old "tubes on top" models were phased out in favor of sleeker, fully enclosed models. Here is a LINK to a short article about Bell Sound and its history. The company was founded in Columbus, Ohio by Floyd W. Bell, and its story is an interesting one, as Bell was one of the pioneers in audio electronics and music reproduction. In fact, Bell Sound is said to have developed the first commercially available reel-to-reel tape recorder in the 1930's.

But I digress. Bell Sound is a small player compared to Bell Labs, the famous research center founded by Alexander Graham Bell in 1925. This fascinating film from Bell Labs promotes the future possibilities of the transistor, and gives people a chance to see the roots of the wondrous miracle of modern electronics in its infancy. Note the "portable" television and other electronic dinosaurs in the story. Many of the predictions in the film came true, but the technology of solid-state electronics has already progressed far beyond anything they could have imagined.

For me, vacuum tube audio is a fun bit of nostalgia. But I have no desire to search for a "modern version" of a vacuum tube computer. Tubes can do a very good job of reproducing music compared to their modern solid-state brethren, but for computers? Forget about it! They simply could not do it, and are relegated to dark corners of technology museums.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Now that you have had your YarLand in place for a while, how do you like it?

Probably a silly question - I came within an inch of buying an Audio Research D79B last week; one of my favorite amps of all time from the 70’s.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Probably a silly question - I came within an inch of buying an Audio Research D79B last week; one of my favorite amps of all time from the 70’s.
I sold my D79 (original model) years ago. The guy who bought it was hankering to see how it compared to his modern tube gear. He said it didn't, not sure if he still has it or not. The memory was better than the reality, as happens all too often. :(

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So far, I like it very much - no hum, noise or audible distortion, but I'm still driving my tiny Yamaha NS-A325 mini-speakers that only go down to about 100Hz. The Yamaha's have a very neutral sound, and I am currently listening to some classical guitar - Manuel Barrueco playing Bach.

My Yarland has a pair of balanced XLR inputs, and is switchable between triode and pentode/UL mode. It arrived set to triode mode, so I tried that for a while after a few days, switched to pentode/ultralinead and heard no difference, although I didn't push it. I would have preferred a class AB rather than a class A amp, but all YarLand amps are class A. I just really like the looks, and wanted a PP EL34/6CA7 amp. The price was good, and YarLand had a good reputation in Europe, so I bought it and got a 120>220v step-up transformer with it. After my "glowing" comments (pun intended), Im surprised that someone reading ASR hasn't purchased the last remaining FV-34B-S at China HiFi.

When my other bits arrive (stand, cables, amplifiers>speaker switch) I will listen to it with my Wharfedale D320 speakers and write up my impressions at the YarLand thead.

Top Bottom