• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Transformers In Passive Filters

BKr0n

So in a prior post (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/lattice-phase-equalizer.47694/) I wanted to use a lattice phase equalizer on every filter stage. I realize now that is dumb because of how many attenuator networks I would have to make. So I went back to the drawing board...

In the passive filter I'm working on, I wanted to account for phase as well as frequency. The only way to do that would be to analyze all 3 bands. How am I going to do that? Answer (maybe): reintegrate them.

Here's my question: could I use a transformer to reintegrate my low/band/high pass and turn said transformer into an all pass filter in order to analyze and, if need be, correct the phase relationship between the bands?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you lose a bet or something?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
could I use a transformer to reintegrate my low/band/high pass and turn said transformer into an all pass filter in order to analyze and, if need be, correct the phase relationship between the bands?
Maybe with years of work or something? What a very odd way to use a transformer.

OP
B

BKr0n

Are you really, really, really sure you don't want to do things like that using DSP / software?
Please don't tempt me. I already had to talk myself out of making something with SigmaDSP lol
Maybe with years of work or something? What a very odd way to use a transformer.
Nope! Just really bored and like to try stuff!
I have seen transformers used as outright inductors before in lots of different things before. Agreed on it being a weird way to use them, but nothing new. I also stumbled across something a little while ago talking about using an autotransformer as well.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please don't tempt me. I already had to talk myself out of making something with SigmaDSP lol

Nope! Just really bored and like to try stuff!

I have seen transformers used as outright inductors before in lots of different things before. Agreed on it being a weird way to use them, but nothing new. I also stumbled across something a little while ago talking about using an autotransformer as well.
Inductors, yes. It seems you need something like a phase delay network, which is quite another thing. Perhaps I'm not understanding.

Top Bottom