• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TPA 3116 VS TPA 3255

Birdy

I am running a 2x 4 ohm TL subwoofer 240 watt / 85 dB with a two TPA3116 el cheapo board, 2 channel amp with a 24volt 10 A power supply.
The 4 bass drivers have a very light styrophome cones and suspencion so depend much on the amp to start and stop.
Would a TPA3255 amp (Aiyima 07) with a 48v 10 A PS give any improvement in bass (20 -40 Hz), like more tight, more control ect. ?
I do not play very loud (70-75 dB) Any thoughts or advise?

TPA.jpg
AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless you're running out of power, or the cheap amp was badly designed, you won't get much difference for bass.

OP
Birdy

Birdy

Unless you're running out of power, or the cheap amp was badly designed, you won't get much difference for bass.
o.k thanks, i think it will do, sometimes with very strong and deep bass i hear loss of control but only with some recordings.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
o.k thanks, i think it will do, sometimes with very strong and deep bass i hear loss of control but only with some recordings.
Loss of control to me would be caused by low damping factor, assuming it's a well-designed subwoofer.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The elephant in the room at bass, is the room ;) you can and will get huge peaks that sound uncontrolled.

OP
Birdy

Birdy

Loss of control to me would be caused by low damping factor, assuming it's a well-designed subwoofer.
it is a transmission line and normally they use stiff suspension drivers but my drivers have little suspension damping, so most of the damping needs to come from the amp and coil / magnet. could be some peaks exceding the max power of the amp. A more potent amp is maybe the best way to go..

OP
Birdy

Birdy

The elephant in the room at bass, is the room ;) you can and will get huge peaks that sound uncontrolled.
sometimes i hear one of the drivers "ratteling", could the coil be out of the magnet gap?

OP
Birdy

Birdy

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am running a 2x 4 ohm TL subwoofer 240 watt / 85 dB with a two TPA3116 el cheapo board, 2 channel amp with a 24volt 10 A power supply.
Would a TPA3255 amp (Aiyima 07) with a 48v 10 A PS give any improvement in bass (20 -40 Hz), like more tight, more control ect. ?
I do not play very loud (70-75 dB) Any thoughts or advise?
Your amp is undersized for what it is driving but you don't go very loud so there is that too. The bigger amp will go a bit louder and you could turn up the bass a bit higher but don't expect miracles by upgrading to the Aiyima 07 w/ the 48VDC 10A PS. There will be improvement to be had but not night and day.

Top Bottom