• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Totem Acoustics speakers. A measurable favourite?

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
As a Canadian, I have fairly easy access to Totem Acoustics speakers. Since Amir has started evaluating speakers based on measurements, I'm curious to see how Totem stacks up. There is not much discussion of this brand, although Amir did refer to them as a usual favorite of CES in 2017.

In my experience, their sound varies widely model to model, and based on my limited understanding, they do not appear to measure well:
How would we expect them to fare here?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a Canadian, I have fairly easy access to Totem Acoustics speakers. Since Amir has started evaluating speakers based on measurements, I'm curious to see how Totem stacks up. There is not much discussion of this brand, although Amir did refer to them as a usual favorite of CES in 2017.

In my experience, their sound varies widely model to model, and based on my limited understanding, they do not appear to measure well:
I expect them to measure badly, but I've always liked the sound of them the short amount of time I've heard them.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I've always found Totems to sound exactly like they measure. They have (for me and some others) an initially attractive sound, but I very quickly find it such a distinct coloration I grow tired of it. Every Totem has that dip in the presence range and then a peak in the upper frequencies to give it that attractive "shine" and transient sharpness. Shows up in most of the measurements.

flaviowolff

My current system, living in a small apartment, is a pair of recently restored and satin white painted Totem Rainmakers, powered by a McCormack DNA 0.5 amp and fed by a MiniDSP DDRC-24, correcting for 0-300hz via Dirac Live (following the natural bass curve).

Still testing, but I almost always prefer it's natural response (albeit very wonky looking - see last photo) than the standard down sloping target curves, even in my totally untreated room.

Bass was good enough for me to sell my subwoofer (not much of an action movie watcher or orchestra/edm/hip hop listener)

Maybe it's looks are helping here. They look absolutely gorgeous and very contemporary, despite being a 2004 speaker. Totem claims that their designs are "atemporal", and they mean it.

Last edited:

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I owned a pair of Rainmakers and Dreamcatchers (both discontinued). I agree 100% with @MattHooper , initially they draw you in (thus my purchase), then over time you realize they aren't true to the source, you grow tired of them, they can't handle a lot of power (I had a pair of bookshelf PSB Platinums back in the day, and they could handle anything you threw at them).

However, I know a few people who like their Totems. Mostly people who listen occasionally, therefore they don't grow tired of the sound. I listen to music at least four hours out of every day (headphones/speakers), so it doesn't take me long to grow tired of coloration. Honestly, the Totems lasted the shortest period in my house of any speaker I ever had.

flaviowolff

I owned a pair of Rainmakers and Dreamcatchers (both discontinued). I agree 100% with @MattHooper , initially they draw you in (thus my purchase), then over time you realize they aren't true to the source, you grow tired of them, they can't handle a lot of power (I had a pair of bookshelf PSB Platinums back in the day, and they could handle anything you threw at them).

However, I know a few people who like their Totems. Mostly people who listen occasionally, therefore they don't grow tired of the sound. I listen to music at least four hours out of every day (headphones/speakers), so it doesn't take me long to grow tired of coloration. Honestly, the Totems lasted the shortest period in my house of any speaker I ever had.

Spot on. I like my Rainmakers, but, unfortunately, I listen to speakers for about one hour/week. My 8+ hours of daily listening are through headphones, as my wife doesn't share my musical taste and we live in a small apartment.

When I listen to them, they are quite refreshing.

As for your sig: there is no pefect anything. No perfect wife, no perfect friends, no perfect place to live.. humans need to seek improvement in order to get motivated :)

Last edited:
I really enjoy the newer V2 Torrent driver Totem products such as the Tribe V (five) wallspeaker, Fire V2 bookshelf, and Metal V2 floorstander. I find them to still have some of that Totem color/character (which I personally enjoy), but the Torrent/Element series products are closer to what I would call more neutral than the classic line. They are made to be different, and the marketing materials even mentions that these won't sound like what you expect from a Totem. In my book it is a pleasant balance. Might have something to do with having no woofer crossover and just a single cap on the tweeter. Granted I'm a little biased as I work for a integrator that carries Totem, and I've personally meant their founder/CEO/chief engineer Vince, and just really like the guy. However we sell a ton of well known brands like Monitor, B&W, Klipsch, Goldenear, Paradigm, Wisdom Audio, McIntosh, Sonus Faber, PSB Focal, etc... and my customers most often leave with a Totem product after demoing everything else. Out of everything we carry I prefer Totem with just two exceptions depending on application and that would be Sonus Faber or Wisdom Audio. Sonus if you want a more intimate sound, with arguably better separation, and a breathtaking cabinet design, but less width and ease of setup as Totems maintain a nice off axis sound and are designed to be pointed straight out from the wall, no toe in or fiddling around necessary. Wisdom if the use leans more toward theater as being mostly planar the speed is just incredible for catching every audible detail in a movie like hearing every sound the gun makes for every shot in something like John Wick. That said if not Wisdom for theater then right back to Totem, especially their Tribe line as again that Torrent driver might be the fastest dynamic with the strongest bass to driver size ratio around. I appreciate that his own line of cables and interconnects for example while a little "audiophile" are arguably reasonably priced and are very well made at least in world of total snake oil at absurd prices. He also told me that he thinks his new Fire V2 bookshelves would be accurate enough to monitor on if need be which is quite the claim, but I do think they could work. Measurements or not he deserves credit for the Torrent driver being the most robust dynamic driver design I've ever seen outside of things that are astronomically priced, and the larger 7 inch Torrent is said to not experience breakup until 17 hz which sounds bonkers but I believe it, you can hear the control it has, and despite that he still rated the speaker at what I think is a conservative 26 hz. I'll probably be purchasing a pair of the Fire V2 next year, I'd happily lend them to you Amir. To be honest I still do not fully understand some of the principles of speaker measurement, a good rating means an accurate speaker right? I do not think Totem is going for total accuracy, I do think they'd ace the off axis response portion though. You can be moving around the room and notice very little change, which makes them awesome for enjoying with multiple people as one person won't hog the "sweet spot," that along with imaging might be their greatest strength as a whole.

Last edited:

ZinMe

I really enjoy the newer V2 Torrent driver Totem products such as the Tribe V (five) wallspeaker, Fire V2 bookshelf, and Metal V2 floorstander. I find them to still have some of that Totem color/character (which I personally enjoy), but the Torrent/Element series products are closer to what I would call more neutral than the classic line.

I need on wall speakers and the Tribe IIIs were the best I found, and I have 3 ordered an on the way. For use for home theater and stereo listening, do you have an AVR or pre-amp/amp make model you prefer with the Tribe's? I heard them with a Denon x8500h in pure direct playing from a CD and they sounded great, but I wasn't able to try other amplifiers.

I need on wall speakers and the Tribe IIIs were the best I found, and I have 3 ordered an on the way. For use for home theater and stereo listening, do you have an AVR or pre-amp/amp make model you prefer with the Tribe's? I heard them with a Denon x8500h in pure direct playing from a CD and they sounded great, but I wasn't able to try other amplifiers.

The Denon is a great choice, Marantz is also a good pairing for Totem thanks to a bump in the mid highs on Marantz that fills in where Totem can sometimes lack, but this is less so on the torrent driver based designs like the Tribe 3, also I really do like Marantz, but as we've seen Denon has the better QC lately when it comes to objective performance. On the higher end, AudioControl amps make Tribes sound just fun. A lot of punch and excitement perfect for movies, but not so colored as to ruin music, still really good, just a little "hype." High end Class A/Bs like Classe are amazing on them, smooth but detailed. Lastly Hypex or Purifi is so good on them, and especially Purifi. That turn on a dime Class D response but so clean is a perfect match for the Torrent. However it can come off as sterile without some correction (less of an issue on Purifi) and I highly recommend correction on these speakers as having no crossover on the woofers they take correction very well, while keeping a touch of Vince's pleasant voicing. They just do what they are told. Excellent choice on your purchase by the way. Totem is one of the best on wall speakers that probably exist and by serious margin, over almost everything else save for Wisdom Audio. A true full range and just great sound on your wall with almost no compromise whereas everybody else's wall speakers are lacking.

I failed to notice that just a few months before I started this thread, the Totem Tribe Towers were measured by Soundstage. While reviews are generally raving the measurements look terrible. Thoughts? https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...-acoustic-tribe-tower-loudspeakers&Itemid=153

I think they sound awesome personally, but with a few caveats. I also won't argue that out of the box the measurements aren't great, BUT the Torrent drivers take correction very well, and I also feel that Vince is better at implementing metal tweeters than soft dome such as what is on the Tribe tower. That's the one weakness of the tower variant as it was meant to play lower to pick up some of work that the small cabinets leaves behind, and you can hear how that somewhat defeats the purpose of the Torrent. Which was to be a woofer that plays insanely low for its size but also very high so it can roll into the tweeter better. Totem is unique in that most companies want a tweeter that plays lower to cover more of the range and be more homogenous right? Vince's approach is the opposite, make the woofer go higher, and it works. It makes for a very interesting speaker with huge soundstage and 3d like imaging, and that's in part that high range woofer. Therefore I think it better to look at the Tribe V (Five), Metal V2, or Fire V2. Definitely worth the added cost. Few speakers reproduce live music recorded music better. They really do sound like the venue itself.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

paulraphael

I listened to a pair of very small Totems while speaker shopping many years ago. They were out of my price range, so I only listened for a minute, but I was impressed. I actually asked the salesman about the subwoofer in the setup, and he said there wasn't one.

Haint

Pinito

I will be honest. I regret my Totem purchase. I have three Tribe IIIs (L/C/R) and two Tribe Is (surround). Driven by NAD T778 which my dealer and a second opinion dealer told me was a good match. The sound is the worst of any speaker I have owned. I even added an Audiocontrol power amp thinking it was an amplification issue, made akmost no difference. My dealer will come and do a service call (which i have to pay for). Based on that, i may be returning them and looking for alternatives (unfortunately must be on walls).

I am amazed Totem says these may be the best on-walls in the world. They are one of the worst sounding speakers I have ever owned. So disappointing.

dc655321

Major Contributor
What the heck is going on at 170hz in those speakers yikes!

Are they about 1m tall?
Looking at the electrical impedance plot shows a nasty resonance at 170Hz.

Sorry to Necro this...

yamahaha

I had Element Fire V1 and Hawks. The Fire was better than the hawk. Both had a "house sound" that I don't particularly like. I would have kept the Fires because hands down they imaged the best of any speaker I've had and levels of detail in sound was insane. However there was something missing in the mid bass. No heft. My wife who doesn't care what things cost or what they are said they sounded small compared to our long time Sonus Fabers which seem to win out every time I try speakers and I do that often. (Why? I dont know). Totem seems to concentrate on small speakers that have "big bass". While they do a good job actually we all know its a bloated illusion. No one defies physics in the end. Thus for Totems line we usually here "for their size" in review summaries.

Powerbench

Totem Arros are one of my favourites other than Kef 104.2 Reference. I like the imaging coupled with a tube hybrid or Naim gear.

Top Bottom