• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Q200C in room measurements

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Hello,

I just bought a used Kef q200 c Center speaker for office use. I plan to use it mono for now, but I was thining, if another used one comes for sale, I might take it for stereo.
Anyway, before I brought it to office, I took some quick in room measurements, just to see how it perorms.
Kef q200c vertical.jpg

This is vertical position, taken from MLP, some 2.8 meters.
Kef q200c horizontal.jpg

This is horizontal, which is how it's meant to be listened, but fortunately, there isn't much difference.

I am a little bit dissapointed in that wide dip from around 800 Hz to some 2600 Hz. I thought even Q series had somehat flat response.
For comparison, here is my tower speaker Avalon Acoustics Opus Ceramique.
Avalon opus ceramique left.jpg

It's not perfect and this is just pure response in a room, without EQ or correction, but there isn't any wide dip like Kef.
I am sharing a link to REW files:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtfShNjU2UBdjtZ3DKANqZeXFWBC3A?e=2fFwFA

So, what do you think, was Kef Q200c response a factory choice for center speaker? Or just an expected FR for the cheapest class...

OP
P

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Place it vertically for the best result
Ok, but I don't think that would be audible. As you see from my first two photos, FR on axis is almost the same placed vertically or horizontaly.
Sure, directivity might be a litlle different, but not so much, because we are dealing with UniQ driver. Also, one of the LF units is pasive, which they call ABR, so this is not MTM design, which suffers from horizontal positioning.

Top Bottom