• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Model Line Decoder?

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
Does anyone know how Topping model lines are organized? They have a ton of seemingly overlapping products, but maybe there is something I am just not familiar with.

Looking at their website (https://www.tpdz.net/products), it seems the current product lines / designations are:

1/10, 3/30, 5/50, 7/70, 9/90 are the model lines, which imply higher number = better and more $$$
Single digits seem to be reserved for the DAC/amp products (the DX models)

DX = DAC/amp

D = standalone DAC
E = standalone DAC
What differentiates D from E?

A = Headphone amplifier
L = Headphone amplifier
What differentiates A from L?

PA, LA, MX are different flavors of power amplifiers

Pro
S
Pro > S?
But A30Pro > A50s? (mixing Pro/S and 30/50)
(the A30Pro costs more than the A50s)

NX, G, M, EHA are various other one-off products

It's hard to know where to start when looking at the lineup.

OP
J

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
By sorting new to old.
Fair enough. That works with the testing database here... not on their website.

Also, not every Topping product has been tested here.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had their whole line except the new DX9 for the business. The E50/L50 is the best value and most versatile for IEMs and same power on all plugs to save on balanced cables.
The DX5 is the best value for an all in one, we have two of them and really like them. I've got the A90d and D90 also, they're really nice, but only worth it if you have the extra money. In a volume matched blind test, you'd have almost no chance to tell the difference.

OP
J

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
I've had their whole line except the new DX9 for the business. The E50/L50 is the best value and most versatile for IEMs and same power on all plugs to save on balanced cables.
The DX5 is the best value for an all in one, we have two of them and really like them. I've got the A90d and D90 also, they're really nice, but only worth it if you have the extra money. In a volume matched blind test, you'd have almost no chance to tell the difference.

I'm interested in figuring out the Topping lineup in general, but specifically what I wanted is the D30Pro / A30Pro stack. The DX5 was my second choice - and now with the firmware fix for the ISS hump (I know, it doesn't matter in real life :D), I will likely get that. But I was really hoping there was something coming soon to replace the D30 Pro, because I love the A30Pro.

But when I start comparing their products, I see 50 series that are priced below the D30 and A30, as well as 70 series that are not too far off. The 90 series is well defined at the top of the range, and the 10 series is well defined at the bottom of the range, but the middle is a big muddle to me.

Maybe the root issue is that the A30 should be a 50 or 70...

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an A30Pro/D30Pro right here too :) It's got a smaller sound stage than the A90/D90 but the power is the same on all connectors, so it saves a ton on balanced cables. Also stuff like the 600 ohm Beyerdynamics are excellent even if you equalize heavy with a preamp reduction. It's got no MQA nonesense or bluetooth antenna sticking up, really for the purist. It gets warm (105F on a 74F room temp) but sounds flawless. It just depends on your end game headphones. The DX5 is more practical, but the A30Pro/D30Pro will power anything (haven't gotten a Susvara yet, but it will do the Hifiman HE6se if that's your white whale).

Top Bottom