• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL SH-X Headphone Amp/Preamp

Roland68

Major Contributor
yes would like to know

Seems SMSL are moving away from THX for new products, although THX amps still available for now
Why would SMSL release another THX headphone amplifier?
SMSL already has the SH-9 as an SE and the SP-400 as a balanced amplifier, both with relay based volume control and remote control. The SP-400 can also be used as a preamplifier. Both devices are based on the highest design level THX AAA-888.

Furyo

I like it…tons of amplifier modules…do you know why I see two power suppliers?
Seems like this just came out today.

c1b3feb8gy1hlm97i8keuj23ab27d4qq_600x600.jpg

Same design as the SU-X DAC. $700 and less power than the Topping A70 Pro. Has very low gain modes but that doesn't seem to have much use on a $700 powerful amp.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I like it…tons of amplifier modules…do you know why I see two power suppliers?
Two switching power supplies with 12V single voltage output. Are connected together for a dual voltage of +/- 12V. Common practice.

Furyo

Two switching power supplies with 12V single voltage output. Are connected together for a dual voltage of +/- 12V. Common practice.
I thought it should be dual mono as Gustard…thanks indeed!

Roland68

Major Contributor
I thought it should be dual mono as Gustard…thanks indeed!
Please keep in mind that the Gustard H26 is in a different price range and is also larger.
The power supply in the SMSL SH-X is cheaper and designed as an SMPS. With a double power supply, the additional components and a significantly larger housing, the SMSL SH-X would probably be €200 more expensive.

delamelon

Is it a copy and paste or just someone who doesn't have an "enter" key on their keyboard?

delamelon

Top Bottom