• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 evaluation and discussion (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 42 60.9%

• Total voters

DSJR

Major Contributor
Camp A. You need 1kw per channel 1Ω stable class D to even listen to music.
Camp B. Thinks camp A should ease back on the coffee.
Gawd, I was told in 1974 that we needed something like 5W per channel but with 1kW peaks....

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The LA90 is an audacious product - it's a SINADifier, like a "competition" amplifier or a concept car. Exceptional performance across the board except the great compromise is power and the external power brick. When John Yang announced he was working on this pre-Covid I was picturing a Topping product performance-wise better than Sony/Yamaha/Emotiva 100 watts entry-level, and cheaper like the niche Topping has been occupying with DACs and some baby-size amps. Very surprised to see this especially after the PA5, which meets more use cases and is half the price of the L90 (ignoring the unfortunate slate of initial failures). I'm guessing Topping's higher powered next amp will try and go toe-to-toe in engineering performance against Hypex Ncores like the 252, but I'm wondering what the price level will be. It's a big step up and it would be nice to see. With higher price and performance will come higher expectations for reliability and less compromise.

raest

Camp A. You need 1kw per channel 1Ω stable class D to even listen to music.
Camp B. Thinks camp A should ease back on the coffee.
didn't know strawmen arguments were so widely accepted around here... i guess this is not "audio SCIENCE review", after all

it's really unfortunate how many people around here don't see how the blind praise products like these receive is not only a legitimate, scientific argument for the ASR detractors, but also puts them in the exact same Cult-like herd as the "snake oil cables audiofools", just a different flavor of inaudibility

disappointing, to say the least

Vini darko

Major Contributor
didn't know strawmen arguments were so widely accepted around here... i guess this is not "audio SCIENCE review", after all

it's really unfortunate how many people around here don't see how the blind praise products like these receive is not only a legitimate, scientific argument for the ASR detractors, but also puts them in the exact same Cult-like herd as the "snake oil cables audiofools", just a different flavor of inaudibility

disappointing, to say the least
It's a joke , chill out :D

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You sound as if you wanted to say half of the ASR members are a cult-like herd that blindly praises a product, and that you know better.
Is it a hobby of yours to join a community and fling poop at them?
1583435557875.gif

Edit: ASR is a diverse community, some people like this product, some people don't like it. Everyone has reasons. Doesn't mean half of them are idiots.

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologize.

Sounds like a fun hobby. I'm thinking of taking it up. Can I fling real poop?
You have to many valid arguments for that hobby, my dude.:cool:

raest

You sound as if you wanted to say half of the ASR members are a cult-like herd that blindly praises a product, and that you know better.
Is it a hobby of yours to join a community and fling poop at them?
View attachment 203445

Edit: ASR is a diverse community, some people like this product, some people don't like it. Everyone has reasons. Doesn't mean half of them are idiots.

i don't know better, science does

i joined after lurking for a while because i thought this was supposed to be audio science review, something completely different to all the other audio forums around. the opposite, in fact. plenty of folk have clearly demonstrated i was obviously wrong (apologies to the small minority who still fight the good fight here)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i don't know better, science does

i joined after lurking for a while because i thought this was supposed to be audio science review, something completely different to all the other audio forums around. the opposite, in fact. plenty of folk have clearly demonstrated i was obviously wrong (apologies to the small minority who still fight the good fight here)
Then perhaps you'd be happier going elsewhere.

formula 977

raest

Member​

JoinedMar 4, 2022

His opinions look to be agreeable to many members.

Top Bottom