• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 30 8.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 321 86.3%

• Total voters

Mkilbride

Hey so, I'm using this Amp with a Soundblaster G6 as my DAC because I want VSS on PS5 via Optical. I also have Oratories HD600 Harman Curve EQ applied via the G6's Equalizer, he recommended -11 Pre-amp Gain.

Using my G6, I thought it didn't have enough power to drive my HD600 /w the EQ applied because of the 11dB Pre-amp gain. It didn't really get loud enough unless I pushed it to 100% volume high gain on the G6. By then it started to sound weird, even if it got loud enough, it felt off. So I tried with my Fiio A5 which is stronger and normally pushes the HD600 to earbleeding levels. It didn't really get any louder.

I also read in Amirs review that the G6 clips badly at 100% volume, and I definitely heard that.

Thinking I needed something even stronger, I found a open box Topping L30 II for 100$ on amazon. Sounded like a fantastic deal, and not understanding a *thing* about how any of this audiophile stuff works, I saw that it pushed .600mw at 300ohms VS the .85 of the G6 or .111 of the A5. I thought this could surely push higher because more power, but I don't understand audio I guess, because I was shocked that even the Topping needs High gain, around 70-80% to push it to a good listening volume. Even turning the EQ off, it stll needs like 50% instead of Medium gain, which I figured would surely be enough, but shows what I know, eh? It does seem like it can push louder than the G6 or Fiio, and it does get to the level I want, but this thing has *so* much power, I can't believe I need nearly all of it for HD600???
image.png

half_dog

Hey so, I'm using this Amp with a Soundblaster G6 as my DAC because I want VSS on PS5 via Optical. I also have Oratories HD600 Harman Curve EQ applied via the G6's Equalizer, he recommended -11 Pre-amp Gain.

Using my G6, I thought it didn't have enough power to drive my HD600 /w the EQ applied because of the 11dB Pre-amp gain. It didn't really get loud enough unless I pushed it to 100% volume high gain on the G6. By then it started to sound weird, even if it got loud enough, it felt off. So I tried with my Fiio A5 which is stronger and normally pushes the HD600 to earbleeding levels. It didn't really get any louder.

I also read in Amirs review that the G6 clips badly at 100% volume, and I definitely heard that.

Thinking I needed something even stronger, I found a open box Topping L30 II for 100$ on amazon. Sounded like a fantastic deal, and not understanding a *thing* about how any of this audiophile stuff works, I saw that it pushed .600mw at 300ohms VS the .85 of the G6 or .111 of the A5. I thought this could surely push higher because more power, but I don't understand audio I guess, because I was shocked that even the Topping needs High gain, around 70-80% to push it to a good listening volume. Even turning the EQ off, it stll needs like 50% instead of Medium gain, which I figured would surely be enough, but shows what I know, eh? It does seem like it can push louder than the G6 or Fiio, and it does get to the level I want, but this thing has *so* much power, I can't believe I need nearly all of it for HD600???View attachment 294937
Your case is not a matter of power but gain. When you set a pre gain as -11dB the DAC will output much lower level than its nominal level. Supposing an output voltage of 2Vrms for 0dBFS, at -11dBFS will output around 560mV. This voltage is not enough for L30II reach its full power - for this it is necessary 2Vrms. With 560mV input, L30 II @ high gain (+16.5dB) will output around 3.8V, something around 48mW in 300ohm.

shuppatsu

Your case is not a matter of power but gain. When you set a pre gain as -11dB the DAC will output much lower level than its nominal level.
I don’t believe that this is the case though I’m new to this and could be wrong. The EQ boosts the bass a lot and bass needs lots of voltage. It’s already higher than other frequencies because we don’t hear it well, so adding yet more has a big effect on voltage with only a small effect on perceived loudness.

Luminair

he recommended -11 Pre-amp Gain

the Topping needs High gain, around 70-80% to push it to a good listening volume

If "good" isn't good enough, then just raise the gain of the amp(s). Don't let someone else's recommendation make your experience worse.

If what's confusing you is the fact that double voltage doesn't sound double loud, then yes, the inverse square law is pretty confusing to everyone else, too LOL! Double voltage only sounds slightly louder. You need to double the voltage MULTIPLE times to ever sound double loud. I think of audio as being inefficient, so adding more audio just means more goes to waste.

Mkilbride

Got another question here. When the Amp is running and I run my fingers along the top of it, I get a weird sensation. Not shock or anything but it's hard to describe as almost sandpapery? Doesn't happen when unity isn't powered on. Feels kind of pleasant though. Audio quality is perfect / no issues, but thoughts? Is this normal? It is slightly warm to the touch, but not like burning hot, and it's not vibrating / rattling.

half_dog

Got another question here. When the Amp is running and I run my fingers along the top of it, I get a weird sensation. Not shock or anything but it's hard to describe as almost sandpapery? Doesn't happen when unity isn't powered on. Feels kind of pleasant though. Audio quality is perfect / no issues, but thoughts? Is this normal? It is slightly warm to the touch, but not like burning hot, and it's not vibrating / rattling.
It seems a current leakage... How is your setup installed? Can you confirm if the amplifier is connect to a device which is ground to earth?

shuppatsu

Mine feels exactly the same on or off. Warmth is normal.

half_dog

I don’t believe that this is the case though I’m new to this and could be wrong. The EQ boosts the bass a lot and bass needs lots of voltage. It’s already higher than other frequencies because we don’t hear it well, so adding yet more has a big effect on voltage with only a small effect on perceived loudness.
Yes, he boosted the bass but uses a pre gain of -11dB to avoid clipping while the rest of the spectrum is around -11dB - his level perception might change because of this.
bass needs lots of voltage
It depends on the heaphone, although the HD600 has peak of impedance around 100Hz, it drops to ~350ohm at 30Hz. The problem is the sensitivity at this region for the HD600 that indeed requires more power to compensate its deficit. But even with this a L30 II has enough power to burn an HD600 =P

half_dog

Mine feels exactly the same on or off. Warmth is normal.
Try this: rest one finger touching the L30 case and run other finger on this, the sandpaper feeling might mitigate or disappear.

hjwh

I just received my L30 II. I use a NAD 372 integrated amplifier in combination with a Topping E50 DAC. I have been playing around with possible connections of the L30 II and found this to be the optmal solution: left the E50 connected to aux-in of the C372 and connected the L30 II to tape1-out of the C372. Benefits: direct connections without electronics between E50 and L30, L30 can be switched off when using c372 with speakers, no switching of L30 between PRE and HPH and volume of headphones is only controlled by L30.

hjwh

Additional benefit: all sources connected to the NAD are available for the L30.

bitonio

Not a bad idea, I didn't think about that one. The knob seems much better and no longer a bulky power adapter.
Replying to myself, after contemplating the spec of high spec'd Topping amp I decided to try something else, non ChiFi.
I read good stuff about the JDS Labs amps, and picked the Atom+ in its HEVI version.
The volume knob is so much better, the finish is really good. The knob is highlighted with a not to bright white LED, and there is a large enough white dot on the knob.
I like the fact you use the knob to turn it off.

I was surprised (I should not have) how a lower spec amp would have much juice for my easy to drive headphones.
I am most of the time between 8 and 9' o clock.

I like the JDS crispness and thicker sounds, the Topping L30 II feels very, very dry and lifeless in comparison.
I was just not expecting that much difference.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I like the JDS crispness and thicker sounds, the Topping L30 II feels very, very dry and lifeless in comparison.
I was just not expecting that much difference.

what do you feel might account for these very distinct, audible differences you hear between these two very clean, neutral amps?

Lambo1985

what do you feel might account for these very distinct, audible differences you hear between these two very clean, neutral amps?
I have both Atom+ & L30II. There is a sonic difference. Both are great. You'll notice the difference more, depending on what kind of headphone you use (You probably wont be able to hear a difference on a Sennheiser 5xx/6xx series HP with no EQ). The L30II feels crisper with faster transients. Atom+ feels just very evenly balanced and very neutral. - I love rocking out with my M50x's w/wicked cushion padz, on either.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I have both Atom+ & L30II. There is a sonic difference. Both are great. You'll notice the difference more, depending on what kind of headphone you use (You probably wont be able to hear a difference on a Sennheiser 5xx/6xx series HP with no EQ). The L30II feels crisper with faster transients. Atom+ feels just very evenly balanced and very neutral. - I love rocking out with my M50x's w/wicked cushion padz, on either.

I know you believe that,, and I know you believe saying that means something, but unfortunately it doesn't. I'll ask you the same question...what would you say accounts for this difference you believe you are hearing?

Lambo1985

I know you believe that,, and I know you believe saying that means something, but unfortunately it doesn't. I'll ask you the same question...what would you say accounts for this difference you believe you are hearing?
With all due respect, that reads as smug and condescending. Fortunately however, it doesn't matter what I believe. What matters, is what I perceive. I have the units. Do you? - I have several DACs, several AMPs, and over 20 Headphones. I don't need to prove anything. All I can do, is state what I perceive, in hopes to give people inquiring an idea based on first hand experience. Not numbers, graphs, and assumptions. If you just go by numbers and graphs, you wouldn't be able to tell a sonic difference.

Veri

Master Contributor
With all due respect, that reads as smug and condescending. Fortunately however, it doesn't matter what I believe. What matters, is what I perceive. I have the units. Do you? - I have several DACs, several AMPs, and over 20 Headphones. I don't need to prove anything. All I can do, is state what I perceive, in hopes to give people inquiring an idea based on first hand experience. Not numbers, graphs, and assumptions. If you just go by numbers and graphs, you wouldn't be able to tell a sonic difference.
There's other such forums for "perceiving" without numbers and graphs that will welcome you to join the circle jerk with open arms....

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

Sorry if it sounds smug and condescending. It doesn't matter what you believe, or what you perceive. But, if you make those claims on this particular forum you should expect to be challenged on them. I don't own the Atom. I do own the Liquid Spark, Schitt Heresy and the L30ii...and they all sound indistinguishable from one another.
Both the Atom and the L30ii have ridiculously good numbers, low distortion, lots of power, and flat freq response. All I'm wondering is if you have any way to explain the differences you think you can perceive between these two amps.

You might want to challenge those perceptions some time and see if you can identify which amp is which without knowing which one is plugged in. You'd need to enlist a willing friend to help...but it could be enlightening.

Top Bottom