• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

alexstone

So what? Is max output has to be reached???
To the best of my knowledge, there is no Topping DAC that can output the required voltage (3Vrms) via RCA output. No, it does not have to be reached. I just can't figure out why you designed an amp whose max output cannot be reached (at least when pairing with most DACs (including all topping DACs).

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
To the best of my knowledge, there is no Topping DAC that can output the required voltage (3Vrms) via RCA output. No, it does not have to be reached. I just can't figure out why you designed an amp whose max output cannot be reached (at least when pairing with most DACs (including all topping DACs).
Because it is simply not needed in real world use? And smaller step in gain settings is more comfortable when you switch. Also at 16ohm or 12ohm it's very close to the maximum output but without clipping at any volume position.

Chagall

Forum Donor

Literally on the first page of this review Amir speculates and then John confirms that their ratings are with higher input voltage..
You just need to read and then choose the best product for yourself.

sanjivnayak

I am using E30 with Magni 3+ to drive a 32ohm Planar HP. I want to know if L30 will be a better match with E30.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I am using E30 with Magni 3+ to drive a 32ohm Planar HP. I want to know if L30 will be a better match with E30.

Depends on which planar and how loud you want it to go.
Magni 3+ (and Heresy and IEMagni) can reach higher output levels because High gain settings are higher (+15dB)
There is nothing to 'match' between DAC and amp other than looks.

sanjivnayak

Depends on which planar and how loud you want it to go.
Magni 3+ (and Heresy and IEMagni) can reach higher output levels because High gain settings are higher (+15dB)
There is nothing to 'match' between DAC and amp other than looks.
I am using hifiman sundara. I listen at 12 o clock position in amp.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
As John said both will do the job.
The L30 is a bit 'safer' to use, as is the IEMagni, because the output has protection and in looks fits better next to E30.
SQ wise there is no need to use another amp than the one you already have.

sanjivnayak

As John said both will do the job.
The L30 is a bit 'safer' to use, as is the IEMagni, because the output has protection and in looks fits better next to E30.
SQ wise there is no need to use another amp than the one you already have.
Pls advise if headphone out of Sabaj d5 will be able to drive sundara or I need to connect magni to drive better.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Pls advise if headphone out of Sabaj d5 will be able to drive sundara or I need to connect magni to drive better.

E30 + (IEMagni, L30) is cheaper and technically superior.

D

Deleted member 27758

I am using hifiman sundara. I listen at 12 o clock position in amp.

Planars need lots of current, L30 was far behind trying to drive audeze LCD 2, I dear to say even more than with utopias. flat & dead sound compared to |"less powerful" Luxman P1U. Just to do the job L30 it may be fine, but you will be far away from driving sundaras to the full potential.
We tried L30 with 3V input from Chord qutest

D

Deleted member 26571

The reason is that the headphone amplifier has to be able to deliver high current at low voltage into low-impedance loads, and high voltage at low current into high-impedance loads. And it needs variable gain (or input attenuation) to work comfortably with headphones of different voltage sensitivity. But it will rarely, or more likely never, be used with a headphone with an impedance and sensitivity that requires both maximum voltage and maximum current from the amplifier at the same time.

Since output power is current times voltage, the maximum power rating of the amplifier is a function of its current and voltage ratings, but is otherwise a relatively meaningless number. I made this chart based on the L30 power/impedance specs. The "Power", "Current", and "Voltage" numbers are peak values, and the 'Vin" numbers are RMS.

IMG_3474.png

Topping says the L30 can deliver 26V pk-pk, which corresponds to 13V peak as given in the "Voltage" column on my chart. With a 300 Ohm load, we see the amplifier is voltage-limited to this value. At 32 Ohms, the available voltage has reduced to 24.2V pk-pk due to internal resistance inside the amplifier. At 16 Ohms, it has either run into a 660mA current limit, or more likely, the available voltage has sagged to 21.2V pk-pk.

The L30 product page has an unusually complete set of specifications, which the calculations confirm. There is enough information here for most headphone owners to determine whether or not the L30 will meet his or her needs. Or, if they're not comfortable with math, they can just read a review and confidently conclude, "Yes, the L30 makes enough power to drive just about any headphone to deafening volume."

Your complaint seems to be that the E30 cannot drive the L30 to maximum output power, to which I respond, "So what?" But we can calculate how much power the L30 produces into these loads given a 2.0 VRMS input signal at maximum gain/volume. The values are 2.22W@16 Ohms, 1.12W@32 Ohms, and 119mW@300 Ohms.

The question a potential buyer should be asking is whether the L30 will play loud enough with his or her headphones, given the headphones' impedance and sensitivity. The Sennheiser HD6xx has a rated impedance of 300 Ohms and a sensitivity of 103dB@1VRMS. The E30 driving the L30 driving the HD6xx will produce a SPL of 118.5dB. Is that enough for you? No? Go buy a DAC with 3.07VRMS output and you can deafen yourself by an extra margin of 3.7dB SPL.

I'm not a Topping fanboy at all, but I don't like trolls.

Last edited by a moderator:

THW

Forum Donor
Planars need lots of current, L30 was far behind trying to drive audeze LCD 2, I dear to say even more than with utopias. flat & dead sound compared to |"less powerful" Luxman P1U. Just to do the job L30 it may be fine, but you will be far away from driving sundaras to the full potential.
We tried L30 with 3V input from Chord qutest

full potential is nonsense, if its loud enough its loud enough.

i'm not interested in going deaf prematurely.

edit: pretty sure Audeze planars have weird af frequency response, a number of them I recall have a sucked out 2-5 kHz region. that alone would explain why they sound dead to you. like I said earlier, use EQ.

Chagall

Forum Donor
To be fair, you do lose SPL while EQing so you need to account for that.

But L30 drives my HD600 to it's "full potential" or loud enough on 0dB gain with -7dB preamp applied...and there is still +9dB gain.

D

Deleted member 27758

full potential is nonsense, if its loud enough its loud enough.

i'm not interested in going deaf prematurely.

edit: pretty sure Audeze planars have weird af frequency response, a number of them I recall have a sucked out 2-5 kHz region. that alone would explain why they sound dead to you. like I said earlier, use EQ.

That's a bold and not very smart statement if you think it's all about loudness. I can go way above my listening levels using my utopias with macbook, but micro/macro dynamics/staging/bass impact is not even close when I plug utopias to better source.

I have L30/E30 and I thought it is a holy grail, after purchasing Utopias I was left wondering why did I blew more than 2k for nearly a sidegrade..Till I plugged into better amp/dac the difference were very obvious. Not saying it's a bad product, but it is not supa dupa amp how it is praised here either.

From my experience with L30 Audeze sounded dead, Utopia harsh 7 very aggressive, HD650 ok'ish, PM3 - good, earsonics em10 good, HD800 harsh/thin...it is not all about frequency response we couldn't get that Audezes planar bass no matter what we did with EQ, same with harshness with utopias or HD800, unless you want to listen to muted high mids/treble

You can find another side of the story if you go through forums as SBAF. My experience was based purely on listening you can take it or disregard it either way I don't want to fight with fanboys of topping

Veri

Master Contributor
That's a bold and not very smart statement if you think it's all about loudness. I can go way above my listening levels using my utopias with macbook, but micro/macro dynamics/staging/bass impact is not even close when I plug utopias to better source.

I have L30/E30 and I thought it is a holy grail, after purchasing Utopias I was left wondering why did I blew more than 2k for nearly a sidegrade..Till I plugged into better amp/dac the difference were very obvious. Not saying it's a bad product, but it is not supa dupa amp how it is praised here either.

From my experience with L30 Audeze sounded dead, Utopia harsh 7 very aggressive, HD650 ok'ish, PM3 - good, earsonics em10 good, HD800 harsh/thin...it is not all about frequency response we couldn't get that Audezes planar bass no matter what we did with EQ, same with harshness with utopias or HD800, unless you want to listen to muted high mids/treble

You can find another side of the story if you go through forums as SBAF. My experience was based purely on listening you can take it or disregard it either way I don't want to fight with fanboys of topping
My MacBook can drive Clears very well, actually. I expect Utopia's not to be any different.. never owned those..

In any case, if you want some expensive DAC/amp circle jerk cult, SBAF is right that way... :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 27758

My MacBook can drive Clears very well, actually. I expect Utopia's not to be any different.. never owned those..

Yes I had Clears as well and I can confirm that Macbook/ Topping L30 does the job with them, though I haven't got a chance to test Clear with P1U/Qutest combo as I sold it for funding Utopia purchase. Utopia is way more detailed and with L30 gets too aggressive if you crank volume a bit. It is listenable on low gain and low volume, but P1U/Qutest combo sounded more detailed/better driven and pleasant.

P1U/Qutest is better sounding source, but with HD650/PM3/EM10 differences were not that large. I was thinking it relates to driving power of L30, but HD650 are considered not that easy to drive, though I can jam with HD650 using my macbook. Now I really want to try how HD650 sounds with OTL tube amp made for high impedance headphones, but I don't know anyone who owns such.

Veri

Master Contributor
I've owned HD650 + bottle head crack amp. It gave a little bass boost is all. I never heard the "magic". As a matter of fact, using planars on that crack amp majorly increased harmonic distortion which sounded "detailed" but very fatigueing over longer listening. In any case this is an old set-up, changed to 100% solid state and never looked back! Never liked the whole tube obsession anyways, and not for lack of trying.. :)

sanjivnayak

Thanks for your input. Now my question is how good is Schiit Magni 3+ (not hersey) against L30.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Yes I had Clears as well and I can confirm that Macbook/ Topping L30 does the job with them, though I haven't got a chance to test Clear with P1U/Qutest combo as I sold it for funding Utopia purchase. Utopia is way more detailed and with L30 gets too aggressive if you crank volume a bit. It is listenable on low gain and low volume, but P1U/Qutest combo sounded more detailed/better driven and pleasant.

P1U/Qutest is better sounding source, but with HD650/PM3/EM10 differences were not that large. I was thinking it relates to driving power of L30, but HD650 are considered not that easy to drive, though I can jam with HD650 using my macbook. Now I really want to try how HD650 sounds with OTL tube amp made for high impedance headphones, but I don't know anyone who owns such.
All of this “synergy” stuff is a lot of wasted time and money in my opinion. Use a transparent DAC/amp and EQ the cans to your liking. You’ll save yourself some major headaches in the long run.

Top Bottom