• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 71.0%

• Total voters

eret9616

Usually adapters will give at least 5v 500mA without negotiating, and those are old ones. Newer ones give 1-1.5A. I only have one specifically USB-PD power adapter, and when I hook up my artificial load to it, I'm able to draw 3.2A before voltage drops below 5V.

The way the G5 works is this:

Between 4.8V and 5.14V, it has increasing draw of current. At 5.14V the maximum it will draw is drawn (1.35A)
Most USB adapters I've measured are 5.08V or higher with no load, and keep to that level until a bit after their rating. Any voltage drop is usually from the cord.

At 5.08V the G5 draws about 1A

edit: I'm not saying trying a USB A cable would be pointless - it might be a solution depending on the behaviour of your charger. I just don't think it's extremely likely
Yes, the USB-A to USB-C cable that came with the original machine can charge it, but all of my Type-C to Type-C cables can't.
and all my laptop or phone charge adapter cant charge(they are all usb c to usb c)
since I'm using a MacBook,which doesn't have a USB-A port。
Using a USB-A to USB-C converter cable, along with a conversion hub, to connect to my MacBook allows it to charge, but using a USB-C cable alone does not charge it,

It's really inconvenient. Is there any solution?

Last edited:

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Possible solution: a fixed 5V PD trigger that would negotiate 5V with your charger. You can find those on AliExpress for a few bucks, but I’m not aware of a USB-C to C cable integrating such a 5V trigger: you’ll have to DIY your cable…

mike7877

Yes, the USB-A to USB-C cable that came with the original machine can charge it, but all of my Type-C to Type-C cables can't.
and all my laptop or phone charge adapter cant charge(they are all usb c to usb c)
since I'm using a MacBook,which doesn't have a USB-A port。
Using a USB-A to USB-C converter cable, along with a conversion hub, to connect to my MacBook allows it to charge, but using a USB-C cable alone does not charge it,

Hmm, it's odd that your phone charger doesn't work. If your chargers legit need to negotiate for some USB-PD voltage + current before they will give any amount of power, there is no way around using USB-A to USB-C cable, and finding a port on a computer to charge from.

If you can plug what's pictured below into your phone or USB-PD charger, and the charger powers up the USB hub and charges your phone, then one of the other USB ports will be able to charge your G5

20231105_204150.jpg

mike7877

Probably. I've read 1A elsewhere.
But is that enough ?
Anyway, I had similar issue with PD chargers from time to time.

I did say minimum lol. USB 2.0 spec is 500mA, and most chargers aren't USB 3.0 per se. I don't disagree with you - it's very probable most charges these days give 1A or more without negotiation (that is, the chargers which don't require negotiation).

1A would be enough to charge the G5 25% slower than the fastest the G5 can charge. Actually, since 1.35A doesn't go in until the end (the constant voltage part of the charge during which current falls) takes up the last 15-40% of the charge cycle, so a 1A charger would probably get from 0 to 100% 20% slower than a 1.35A charger.

You should never fill up a lithium ion battery to 100% unless you need all the runtime, though. Why? Because for every 0-100% charge, you could go 0-85% three times. 0 to 75% six times. And 0-65%? Fourteen.

0-65% fourteen times is almost 10 times the total power stored in the battery!

Atanasi

Forum Donor
my topping g5 cant chargewith usb c to usb c cable , or use my laptop power adapter, is this normal or I get a bad one?
This is a well-known issue with various devices. It is a design fault, so replacing the unit won't fix it, unless the manufacturer fixes the circuit.

USB-C chargers don't turn on their voltage unless they detect that a sink is connected. The detection process depends on certain resistors. Topping devices don't include the resistors that turn on USB-C power, and that's why C-to-C cables don't work. C-to-A cables still work, because in that case, the cable includes the resistors, in order to be compatible with USB-A devices. C-to-C cables don't have these resistors, because standard-compliant USB-C devices are supposed to include them.

eret9616

Hmm, it's odd that your phone charger doesn't work. If your chargers legit need to negotiate for some USB-PD voltage + current before they will give any amount of power, there is no way around using USB-A to USB-C cable, and finding a port on a computer to charge from.

If you can plug what's pictured below into your phone or USB-PD charger, and the charger powers up the USB hub and charges your phone, then one of the other USB ports will be able to charge your G5

View attachment 324361

it works if using a type A to type C converter...
but this looks absolutely horrible for a portable device :facepalm:

eret9616

It's quite unfortunate that as a portable device, it's not convenient, given that the size of the A to C adapter is not small. It's almost 2024... What I mean to say is that technology is constantly advancing,the technology of integrated circuits and small devices is advancing rapidly with each passing day...
This is a well-known issue with various devices. It is a design fault, so replacing the unit won't fix it, unless the manufacturer fixes the circuit.

USB-C chargers don't turn on their voltage unless they detect that a sink is connected. The detection process depends on certain resistors. Topping devices don't include the resistors that turn on USB-C power, and that's why C-to-C cables don't work. C-to-A cables still work, because in that case, the cable includes the resistors, in order to be compatible with USB-A devices. C-to-C cables don't have these resistors, because standard-compliant USB-C devices are supposed to include them.

mike7877

it works if using a type A to type C converter...
but this looks absolutely horrible for a portable device :facepalm:

Yeah, I know. It's just a workaround that might work

Otherwise, a normal, old charger is required. Anything from before laptops started using USB-C for power lol.

Almost 10 years of phones and gadgets came with 5V chargers from 1-2.5A there should be a surplus! I have like 30!

mike7877

It's quite unfortunate that as a portable device, it's not convenient, given that the size of the A to C adapter is not small. It's almost 2024... What I mean to say is that technology is constantly advancing

Yeah, they should've not just used a simple charge chip. There should've been a USB interface chip first to ensure it could power up to charge...

The G5 is lacking a lot of customize features. I believe this was to remain affordable while still performing at state-of-the-art levels (-120dB THD+n DAC capable of 21V p-p).

Considering its price of just $300, nothing touches it. If you want more features, you have no other options with specs like the G5. It's been out for some time now, though, so maybe Topping or another manufacturer will release something -120dB with more features like customizable filters and giving actual battery charge state over bluetooth...

edit: they could've had two LED lights under the window somewhere, and when you turned on the device "state of charge" was shown. Example: with the battery at 36%, the first light, would flash 3 times, and the second light would flash 6 times. This would take between 0.3 and 5 seconds. I would've really appreciated it

Last edited:

eret9616

Yeah, they should've not just used a simple charge chip. There should've been a USB interface chip first to ensure it could power up to charge...

The G5 is lacking a lot of customize features. I believe this was to remain affordable while still performing at state-of-the-art levels (-120dB THD+n DAC capable of 21V p-p).

Considering its price of just $300, nothing touches it. If you want more features, you have no other options with specs like the G5. It's been out for some time now, though, so maybe Topping or another manufacturer will release something -120dB with more features like customizable filters and giving actual battery charge state over bluetooth...

edit: they could've had two LED lights under the window somewhere, and when you turned on the device "state of charge" was shown. Example: with the battery at 36%, the first light, would flash 3 times, and the second light would flash 6 times. This would take between 0.3 and 5 seconds. I would've really appreciated it
I bought a shanling ua4, for 99$,the chip is es9069q vs es 9068as in topping g5, t t also provide -120db THD+n, maybe its a better option?

Last edited:

RensG

I’m a noob in the world of headphone amps DAC’s. I’m a music producer and I’m planning on purchasing a desktop amp (JDS atom) for mixing with my HD600’s, however, I’m considering the Topping G5 as a portable solution for driving my HD600’s. In usb/line out modus, will the G5 also function as a decent standalone DAC for my desktop amp? Is the line out 3,5mm low noise and stereo à la headphone out?

Thanks,
Rens

bearcatsandor

If I have a cable with a 1/4" headphone jack at both ends, can I plug one end into a mixing console, and one end into the aux input of the G5 to amplify the signal to a pair of DCA Stealths?

staticV3

Master Contributor
In usb/line out modus, will the G5 also function as a decent standalone DAC for my desktop amp? Is the line out 3,5mm low noise and stereo à la headphone out?
Yes and Yes :)

staticV3

Master Contributor
If I have a cable with a 1/4" headphone jack at both ends, can I plug one end into a mixing console, and one end into the aux input of the G5 to amplify the signal to a pair of DCA Stealths?
You would need a 3.5mm (1/8") plug to go into the G5's Line in port, but yes, you can use it as a pure Amp with Line in->Headphone out.

If that's your sole use case though, then I'd recommend the Topping NX7 instead.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
can I plug one end into a mixing console, and one end into the aux input of the G5
So, as @staticV3 wrote, if you have a 1/4" TRS female to 3.5mm TRS male adapter, yes.
Of course, you need to start from a stereo output on the mixer.

Just be careful to limit the mixer output: it would be easy to saturate the G5 amp input...

Last edited:

bearcatsandor

You would need a 3.5mm (1/8") plug to go into the G5's Line in port, but yes, you can use it as a pure Amp with Line in->Headphone out.

If that's your sole use case though, then I'd recommend the Topping NX7 instead.
Nah. I'd be using it as a portable dac/amp for my Stealths, but I wanted something that I could connect to studio equipment. Most monitoring headphone sections won't have the juice to run a pair of Sealths well.

bearcatsandor

So, as @staticV3 wrote, if you have a 1/4" TRS female to 3.5mm TRS male adapter yes. Of course, you need to start from a steteo output on the mixer.
Just be careful to limit the mixer output: it would be easy to saturate the G5 amp input...
!0-4. Thank you. Perfect.

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
I bought a shanling ua4, for 99$,the chip is es9069q vs es 9068as in topping g5, t t also provide -120db THD+n, maybe its a better option?
I am looking into this because my G5 is just too heavy and cumbersome when joined to the I phone. As other people have remarked there is only scant warning of battery run out and then it takes ages to charge. However, there is no detracting from the fact that it is very very good for the money. Shenzhen have the UA4 for $84 in their black friday sale promotion.

Top Bottom