• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 71.0%

• Total voters

eret9616

I am looking into this because my G5 is just too heavy and cumbersome when joined to the I phone. As other people have remarked there is only scant warning of battery run out and then it takes ages to charge. However, there is no detracting from the fact that it is very very good for the money. Shenzhen have the UA4 for $84 in their black friday sale promotion.
I finally returned Shanling and still use G5, I think G5 gives a better natural sound,, I saw some posts on this forum saying that the actual effects of this brand are different from what is indicated on the product

Luigi408

Anyone had an issue with G5 battery expanding? I had to do a warranty repair on mine because my battery expanded. Apos then sent the replacement but the condition of the replacement is bad. The lettering is all faded. Not happy with either Topping or Apos at the moment.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone had an issue with G5 battery expanding? I had to do a warranty repair on mine because my battery expanded. Apos then sent the replacement but the condition of the replacement is bad. The lettering is all faded. Not happy with either Topping or Apos at the moment.
I've had a few of them and just got another today I'm listening to. Haven't experienced it, but might be caused by using it while charging which generates more heat than usual one a battery. I try to avoid doing it, or at least elevate it on something to allow air flow under it. The Seeaudio Yume II sounds fantastic on these, same with the Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohm black edition, forgot how nice those were. Stinks they replaced it with a used item, they're usually good on warranty with sending a new one.

LIΟN

222.jpg

111.jpg

I got topping G5 today. for outdoor.
Isn't it so neat and pretty?
There's enough output. "I was satisfied." The reason why it's a past version of "satisfied" is that it's not properly shielded and a strange beep is randomly heard. I've tested this on several headphones and earphones, and on the L70 and dx3pro+, no matter how much I shake my head and twist the line, I couldn't reproduce that, but on the g5, I heard that beep when I just opened my earphones without connecting to my phone separately. beep or noise things. i guess beep.

So I gave up on this pretty look.

1702713080 (1).jpg

1702713080.jpg

Enormously wrapped in aluminum foil and this worked. Of course, it looks the worst, but it's fine. Now it's working as normal.

I also asked other users who use (or used) the G5 and they said many people go through this.
This is a temporary measure, and I received the new product today after waiting for a few weeks, but I'm not feeling very good.

View attachment 334682

View attachment 334683

I got topping G5 today. for outdoor.
Isn't it so neat and pretty?
There's enough output. "I was satisfied." The reason why it's a past version of "satisfied" is that it's not properly shielded and a strange beep is randomly heard. I've tested this on several headphones and earphones, and on the L70 and dx3pro+, no matter how much I shake my head and twist the line, I couldn't reproduce that, but on the g5, I heard that beep when I just opened my earphones without connecting to my phone separately. beep or noise things. i guess beep.

So I gave up on this pretty look.

View attachment 334684

View attachment 334685

Enormously wrapped in aluminum foil and this worked. Of course, it looks the worst, but it's fine. Now it's working as normal.

I also asked other users who use (or used) the G5 and they said many people go through this.
This is a temporary measure, and I received the new product today after waiting for a few weeks, but I'm not feeling very good.
My man)

IMG_20240102_175808_edit_148829158528852.jpg
IMG_20240102_175400_edit_148632864425236.jpg

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I did a internal one on my old Tempotec Sonata iDSD (ES9018K2M) using nail Polish and graphite dust multilayer and a Insulator tape. End result whose good and it didn't look franken. This is exactly why CS43131 is still best design for portables (with easy integration and class leading EMI rejection rate).

Attachments

• DSC_0829.JPG
    DSC_0829.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 80

Benesyed

Overall I really like this device, some wish-list items for a future iteration:

1. Better labeling of the volume wheel: The black dot on black dial makes it hard to see what the volume is at. It also would be nice to label the full range of the wheel.

2. Battery life indicated: even a basic 0-25-50-100% would be great

3. Wheel lock: Prevent accidentally turning the volume up too high

prarabas94

Hello there new to forum :D

Recently I've purchased Topping G5 and encountered irritating issue. I'm primary using Android device (Xiaomi MI 11 lite) USB audio player pro in bit perfect mode, to listen to my local library of music which consist with mix sample rate tracks. Upon changing tracks sample rate for example from 44.1khz to 96khz in the beginning of track G5 makes loud click\pop in headphones, it's honestly is very loud pop and I'm afraid to not damage my IEM. My Fiio ka3 doesn't have this issue. My question to G5 users is it normal DAC chips behavior?

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I bought a G5 but I am returning it. I hoped to use it at the audio show to compare headphones but it arrived too late.
I took it out of the box but it is a bit too heavy for my liking and I never even got around to actually testing it in the last weeks. I use my FiiO K1 on the go so I think I will just buy a newer FiiO K-series product with better performance since mine is old and anemic (but ironically still better than the output on any of the laptops that I own).

gvl

Major Contributor
Quality definitely is good, just overkill

It may not be for everyone but I don't think it's overkill, there are enough people with big collection of headphones and this thing cal handle them all, or almost. The only thing missing is PEQ. Sounds like they figured out how to do it on XMOS in the latest generation of their DACs, so hopefully the next version has and I will be all over it.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
It may not be for everyone but I don't think it's overkill, there are enough people with big collection of headphones and this thing cal handle them all, or almost. The only thing missing is PEQ. Sounds like they figured out how to do it on XMOS in the latest generation of their DACs, so hopefully the next version has and I will be all over it.
Definitely this can power almost all headphones, it's just overkill for most people especially with how good dongles have become these days.

mike7877

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My G5 is broken now :(

I think he might've got too many volts while in headphone amp mode (ie. not USB or Bluetooth)

Now everything's very quiet... distorted...

PC > Preamp was the source - I went to adjust the volume in Windows, and,... y'know that sound Windows makes when you adjust the volume? That little 0.173 second chime? That... That did it... All it took!
When it was made, it was over.
Everything was over!
G5, is dead.

:oops::facepalm::confused::eek::mad::(:facepalm:
:rolleyes:
:'''(

It happened REALLY quickly...
Careful!!

gvl

Major Contributor
Reach out to Topping support, they might be willing to fix it, might end up being cheaper than buying new even if you have to send it to China for repairs.

Top Bottom