• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 71.0%

• Total voters

TUC

For this to work, you need an "MFi" cable ("made for iphone").
These cables have a special chip inside that tells the iPhone that it's safe to communicate with the connected USB accessory.
It's basically the Apple equivalent of OTG.

Apple's original cables do not have this chip (yes, it's
I tried this too but it doesn't work
BLACKSYNCZE Cavo USB C a iPhone, 0.3M [Certificato MFi] Power Delivery Carica Rapida per iPhone 13 12 11 Pro Max 13 12 Mini XR XS X 8Plus 8 SE 2020, Grigio https://amzn.eu/d/5iYAkTn

Last edited:

GeorgeWalk

I have had problems with cables (even Apple cables) working with various devices. What I found was that the connector port on the phone was dirty. It doesn't take much pocket lint or a little dirt to cause problems in the phone. Try cleaning the port with some alcohol and toothpicks.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I tried this too but it doesn't work
BLACKSYNCZE Cavo USB C a iPhone, 0.3M [Certificato MFi] Power Delivery Carica Rapida per iPhone 13 12 11 Pro Max 13 12 Mini XR XS X 8Plus 8 SE 2020, Grigio https://amzn.eu/d/5iYAkTn
Here is a list of cables that enable the use of Type-C USB accessories on iPhones: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...zqzHoRmCTO7ZTe32p_xhjuGluh8/edit?usp=drivesdk

You can ignore everything except for column A, as that is info which relates to another USB accessory.

TUC

staticV3

Master Contributor
these are usb lighting adapter then need another usbc/usbc cable. is it not possible to have a single cable?
In the list are both adapters and single cables.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just tried the Fiio LT1 cable-fail.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Been using the G5 for a while, pretty impressed. It's heft is a little awkward when on the move but not fatally so. What could be fatal is the volcanic temperatures that this thing reaches if it doesn't have ventilation. I fell asleep with the G5 under a duvet and woke up to find that it was hot, I mean like almost skin burning hot. Was tempted to do it again to take a proper reading...

gvl

Major Contributor
Mine gets barely warm in use, but I’m not powering inefficient headphones so staying around 12pm on the dial in lite low gain.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine gets barely warm in use, but I’m not powering inefficient headphones so staying around 12pm on the dial in lite low gain.
I think one has to insulate it to get to heat up, I don’t get heat issues when it’s on a desk or in a loose jacket pocket.

Edit; speculating that the large surface area of the casing is effectively a heat sink.

sivsoft

Hi all connoisseurs of quality sound!
I also joined the owners of Topping G5. The sound is very good, on par with E1DA 9038D and Cozoy Rei. The background is dark, listening on Campfire Andromeda. Pretty much happy with everything, but there are some problems and questions:
1. Bluetooth is somehow bad. Literally 1-1.5 meters away from the device and the sound starts to disappear. You can't put a cell phone in your pocket, unless, of course, it's not one pocket with Topping G5. My phone is Reamle 8. I checked the connection on the cell phone with a bluetooth speaker - everything is perfect, even if you go to another room with the speaker - everything plays without fail. Is there a bluetooth solution with G5?
2. The sound is very good, but I thought it would still be better than E1DA 9038d and Cozoy Rei. Still by measurements it is better, especially the amp. And while the difference between 120dB SINAD and 117dB is unlikely to be heard by anyone, 85dB and 95dB should make a difference, but I can't hear it. Maybe I have already reached the maximum for headphones and Campfire Andromeda (I have version 1) can't open better, it has reached its ceiling?
3. Plastic window. This is would make sense with a great bluetooth signal, but it's not there. And the extra window only gives interference from communication and WiFi if close. Any solution to this issue? Maybe someone has come up with something?

My Bluetooth solution is attaching a Qudelix 5k with the rubber bands and use AUX in of G5.
Bluetooth is much better on Q5K and also the DAC I like better.
With the parametric EQ function of Q5K the G5 is a beast!

Here using it wired with Shanling M6 Pro as transport
IMG_20230829_194107.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
My Bluetooth solution is attaching a Qudelix 5k with the rubber bands and use AUX in of G5.

Here using it wired with Shanling M6 Pro as transport
View attachment 312346
That' a lot of devices, though :p

sivsoft

Good call. But the sandwich is so big, of course.
And the question is quality. Doesn't the Q5K get its signal from its amplifier? In this case, unfortunately, the signal is immediately limited by SINAD to 80-81dB.

When using Bluetooth it's not so big of a sandwich and Q5K does not add any weight.
No idea about the technical aspects all I know is my ears like what they hear :)

mike7877

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1660640133-THDN-Ratio-vs-Freq-1024x834.jpg

For the people who think THD+n would've been worse with a different HF filter: Amir's THD+n graph looks like the 90kHz bandwidth version of the measurement, not the 20kHz. I didn't see this 3rd party graph in the discussion before - I think this means the THD+n / IMD graphs in the OP are reflective of real-world performance.

eret9616

my topping g5 cant chargewith usb c to usb c cable , or use my laptop power adapter, is this normal or I get a bad one?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
my topping g5 cant chargewith usb c to usb c cable , or use my laptop power adapter, is this normal or I get a bad one?
Your charger may be Power Delivery and tries to negotiate charging rate with the G5, which doesn't answer.
Try with a USB A cable instead.
Or try another charger (the laptop power adapter won't work anyway, probably).

mike7877

Stupid question, but are you using the right port? (you have to have two plugged into it if you want to use USB audio + charging)

If you can't charge it at all, it's broken

mike7877

Your charger may be Power Delivery and tries to negotiate charging rate with the G5, which doesn't answer.
Try with a USB A cable instead.

Usually adapters will give at least 5v 500mA without negotiating, and those are old ones. Newer ones give 1-1.5A. I only have one specifically USB-PD power adapter, and when I hook up my artificial load to it, I'm able to draw 3.2A before voltage drops below 5V.

The way the G5 works is this:

Between 4.8V and 5.14V, it has increasing draw of current. At 5.14V the maximum it will draw is drawn (1.35A)
Most USB adapters I've measured are 5.08V or higher with no load, and keep to that level until a bit after their rating. Any voltage drop is usually from the cord.

At 5.08V the G5 draws about 1A

edit: I'm not saying trying a USB A cable would be pointless - it might be a solution depending on the behaviour of your charger. I just don't think it's extremely likely

Last edited:
Top Bottom