• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 320 84.0%

• Total voters

Dawsoo

Forum Donor
Greetings, ladies and gentlemen. :)

I've decided to write my first post here, I'm a former audiophile hi-fi player with a technical background and I've kind of gotten back into it.

I have been passively reading this forum for a long time now, thanks to which I managed to save a lot of money to get a picture of what is on the market today and for how much. My summary is that DIY is no longer worthwhile, as I discovered Topping and other Chinese manufacturers, who have come a long way in the 7 years since I haven't followed hifi.

Gradually, out of curiosity, I tried D10s, E30, E50 until I ended up with E70, which fully provides me with really perfect performance at a still affordable price.

I would certainly be interested in the newer D70pro, but I don't think that the difference in price would bring me such a big improvement.

I hereby thank ASR and all those who make it up, for the fact that such a place exists. I sent some money to AMIR for support, because I think this was really missing in the swamp full of paid reviews by advertisement-paid or incompetent peoples in magazines or on the Internet. I consider myself technically advanced, I have been involved in audio development and service for 25 years.

Thank you gentlemen and I apologize for my bad English, it is not my native language and sometimes I have to use a translator.

Last edited:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Greetings, ladies and gentlemen. :)

I've decided to write my first post here, I'm a former audiophile hi-fi player with a technical background and I've kind of gotten back into it.

I have been passively reading this forum for a long time now, thanks to which I managed to save a lot of money to get a picture of what is on the market today and for how much. My summary is that DIY is no longer worthwhile, as I discovered Topping and other Chinese manufacturers, who have come a long way in the 7 years since I haven't followed hifi.

Gradually, out of curiosity, I tried D10s, E30, E50 until I ended up with E70, which fully provides me with really perfect performance at a still affordable price.

I would certainly be interested in the newer D70pro, but I don't think that the difference in price would bring me such a big improvement.

I hereby thank ASR and all those who make it up, for the fact that such a place exists. I sent some money to AMIR for support, because I think this was really missing in the swamp full of paid reviews by advertisement-paid or incompetent peoples in magazines or on the Internet. I consider myself technically advanced, I have been involved in audio development and service for 25 years.

Thank you gentlemen and I apologize for my bad English, it is not my native language and sometimes I have to use a translator.
Welcome to the club.

What did the E70 do that the E50 didn’t?

Dawsoo

Forum Donor
Hi,thx for invite,
Practically everything, from sophistication, connectivity, parameters and better fulfilled ideas of my purely subjective perception in my lineup, the differences are really small but they are there.. E50 vs E70, actually measured by me at home cosmos ADC both RCA output 24/44,1k on 1kHz @-0,1dbFs.

*** I'm keeping both, they're both top DACs, I'll use the E50 at work and the E70 at home.***

Attachments

• tG7CM[1].PNG
    tG7CM[1].PNG
    180.1 KB · Views: 109
  • jB2tS[1].PNG
    jB2tS[1].PNG
    178.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

jbaumann

the pre amp is also using the volume control of the ES9028, so there's no difference.
Ok, but when I use the volume control of the ESS9028 then the volume that is shown (and can be changed with the remote) does not change. What, then, does this volume control?

ThatGuyYouKnow

Anyone else here try 5V output from the E70 to an L70? It creates a weird, uncomfortable pressure in my ears regardless of what headphones I'm using. This happened on all three occasions I tried it, on three separate days. What can explain this? 4V output always sounds perfect.

Last edited:

aka_Z

Why do you want to use 5V if 4V works perfectly? Maybe L70 input is not designed for a higher input signal. However, I would expect a distortion not a pressure.

Higher input signal is not necessary better ;)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Maybe L70 input is not designed for a higher input signal. However, I would expect a distortion not a pressure.
The L70 can handle up to 10.3Vrms input voltage via XLR without distorting, in both Low and High gain.
See here.

Anyone else here try 5V output from the E70 to an L70? It creates a weird, uncomfortable pressure in my ears regardless of what headphones I'm using.
Sounds a bit like DC maybe? But changing the E70 from 4V to 5V shouldn't affect that as it's just a digital volume attenuation.
I'm not ruling out placebo either tbh.

Why do you want to use 5V if 4V works perfectly?
I agree with aka_Z. If 4V works fine for you, then just keep using that. You're not losing out on anything by not using 5V, @ThatGuyYouKnow.

ThatGuyYouKnow

The L70 can handle up to 10.3Vrms input voltage via XLR without distorting, in both Low and High gain.
See here.

Sounds a bit like DC maybe? But changing the E70 from 4V to 5V shouldn't affect that as it's just a digital volume attenuation.
I'm not ruling out placebo either tbh.

I agree with aka_Z. If 4V works fine for you, then just keep using that. You're not losing out on anything by not using 5V, @ThatGuyYouKnow.

I am fairly confident that it is not placebo as it's extremely apparent to my ears. When a heavenly brass-heavy Elmer Bernstein recording makes my ears feel pressurized and uncomfortable, I know there's something off. But it does leave me befuddled as to how this could be the case.

jdan1457

I am fairly confident that it is not placebo as it's extremely apparent to my ears. When a heavenly brass-heavy Elmer Bernstein recording makes my ears feel pressurized and uncomfortable, I know there's something off. But it does leave me befuddled as to how this could be the case.
When I switched from 4V to 5V from my E70V to my L70 I didn't notice any difference. I listen with a wide range of IEM's and headphones, there was no difference at all.

aka_Z

Well, once more, why insisting on 5V if with 4V you don't have such issues?! I didn't even bother to try 5V with my Adams.

ThatGuyYouKnow

Well, once more, why insisting on 5V if with 4V you don't have such issues?! I didn't even bother to try 5V with my Adams.

I insist because 5 is a larger number than 4. Nah, I have no issue leaving it at 4V. I was just curious as to how this could be explained, because I had never heard of this being an issue.

victorkw

Would anyone know the E70 has provide the same auto turn on function which will select the signal input also?
e50.jpg

Thanks.

aka_Z

Auto turn will turn on device/wake up from the standby and select a valid source. But only from the standby. If, for example, two sources are valid and one gets disconnected, it will not switch to another. Even worse, it will go into the standby mode. Disconnecting and connecting another, valid source, will bring the device from the standby mode and select that source.

I was hoping for a different behavior. If two sources are valid, once one, in my case BT is disconnected, E70(V) switches to another. But that's not the case.

mrlongar

which is better topping D70s , E70 or D50s for punchy bass and clear treble? which of the three is worth buying and recommended ? please help

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
which is better topping D70s , E70 or D50s for punchy bass and clear treble? which of the three is worth buying and recommended ? please help
Whichever one is the cheapest or on sale and has the features you want.

Top Bottom