• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 318 83.9%

• Total voters

mrlongar

That's great you are enjoying your E70. Ever since the early E30 (all AKM), I haven't noticed any audible differences between the E30, D30 Pro, D50s, E50, and E70, or Sabaj A20D. Sure there are feature differences, but all the above mentioned DAC's are transparent IME.
do i have to keep my topping D70s ? or buy E70?

zenon

A light mod to get rid of the soulless sound.

Attachments

• Topping E70 modded.jpg
    Topping E70 modded.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 258

Dawsoo

Forum Donor
They could put audio capacitors where necessary, but Chinese, as always, want to go as thin as possible.
I have a question about how you got inside the screws that hold the front panel, and regarding the added capacitors, I'm a little worried about the stability of the switching power supply powering the analog circuits. I did a small experiment, including measuring and comparing two pieces of D10s in the base vs modified, and unfortunately there was not always an improvement, sometimes the converter did not start and the interference in the superacoustic band got worse. Otherwise, I agree in principle that power supplies are the weakest part of otherwise excellent Chinese electronics.

zenon

I have a question about how you got inside the screws that hold the front panel, and regarding the added capacitors, I'm a little worried about the stability of the switching power supply powering the analog circuits. I did a small experiment, including measuring and comparing two pieces of D10s in the base vs modified, and unfortunately there was not always an improvement, sometimes the converter did not start and the interference in the superacoustic band got worse. Otherwise, I agree in principle that power supplies are the weakest part of otherwise excellent Chinese electronics.
Hi!
I haven't removed the front panel.
The back two screws are removed, as well as the ones below, and the back panel comes out. Don't forget to disconnect the ribbon cable for the display.
Regarding the D10s SMPS, as far as I remember, there is no SMPS filter, and it is possible to break its operation by changing some parameters of the output circuit.
Here, however, we have filters implemented with 100uH coils (if I'm not mistaken) and other elements, so the replaced capacitors have no direct effect on the SMPS.

Last edited:

zenon

Can you really hear the difference?
Yes of course.
Otherwise, why waste my time, money and warranty, if I can't hear the difference?
This action was not dictated by "someone said, it was better", but the result of many experiments and DIY projects.
I hope that's enough and I don't want to get into unnecessary polemics.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If there is a measurable difference then there could be an audible difference. Why anyone would want to take a DAC that measures good enough to be transparent and add coloration or distortion is a personal choice. Do you have any measurements showing differences?

ThatGuyYouKnow

My question is what does "soulless" mean in this context? I've seen that word used a lot lately to describe myriad things; there was even a popular case where someone called the Resident Evil 4 remake soulless, which to me seems crazy beyond belief.

As for the stock E70, I have not heard anything that indicates it getting in the way of a source's clarity or dynamics.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My question is what does "soulless" mean in this context? I've seen that word used a lot lately to describe myriad things; there was even a popular case where someone called the Resident Evil 4 remake soulless, which to me seems crazy beyond belief.

As for the stock E70, I have not heard anything that indicates it getting in the way of a source's clarity or dynamics.
My personal favorite is when they start talking about the "musical engagement" of hardware. Like it's a member of the ensemble. When you say stuff like that you know you are reaching to rationalize something.

zenon

Perhaps, to be more clear, I'll add sterile as well.
But, as I wrote above, I don't feel like getting into polemics.
There are as many people on earth as there are individual judgments about sound, color, etc.
Here I have shared what I feel, but by no means would I want to impose anything.
Everyone is free to improvise, experiment or not.
Therefore, I would like to end here so as not to waste time and flood the forum unnecessarily.

threni

Major Contributor

You're just not going to get an straight answer, are you? Like plankton, slam, "fast" bass and "analogue" sound, we're just going to have to continue to guess the meaning behind the poetry. My E30 doesn't seem to suffer for the lack of a "spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.". Or perhaps it's immortal. I doubt it - after all, it's a Topping device. Let's just agree that - for now at least - the audio it produces isn't impaired by something which doesn't exist.

aka_Z

I'm just curious, are those capacitors audiophile editions? Do they need to be used, burned with specific music for a while to align with the rest of the system and provide a desirable, soulful audio experience? :)

zenon

You're just not going to get an straight answer, are you? Like plankton, slam, "fast" bass and "analogue" sound, we're just going to have to continue to guess the meaning behind the poetry. My E30 doesn't seem to suffer for the lack of a "spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.". Or perhaps it's immortal. I doubt it - after all, it's a Topping device. Let's just agree that - for now at least - the audio it produces isn't impaired by something which doesn't exist.
As I wrote above, I do not wish to argue.
Is this hard to understand?
Have a nice day.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you modify, there are three possible results: first, it is better now. Second, no change. Third, it's worse. All these trials need verification. And in technology, it needs a measurement to prove the result.
If you try to prove it by hearing it, additionally, without the possibility of direct comparison, all the psychological things will pop up. (proud, "better parts...".........)

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The way this dialogue is going, it probably needs to go to the "can DACS have a sound signature?" or "measurements everything or nothing?" threads.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The way this dialogue is going, it probably needs to go to the "can DACS have a sound signature?" or "measurements everything or nothing?" threads.
I guess we will read in this therads more about the "proud" sucsess. No disscussions.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We should just have a thread for *all* unsubstantiated claims that DACs, amps, or wiring of any sort have a differentiated sound when operating within normal and reasonable specifications. Then people can celebrate the wonderful diversity and egalitarianism of audio fantasy over there.

aka_Z

Maybe our colleague zenon will find video below interesting :)

Top Bottom