• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 318 83.9%

• Total voters

aka_Z

Not a single problem after dozens of hours with my Nvidia Shield TV Pro, which sends USB audio to an SMSL PO100 PRO that in turn sends the signal to the E70 over coaxial. But that is about as pristine a signal you can send to a DAC over SPDIF, and therefore does not account for the more problematic high jitter sources out there like CD players.
Have you tried connecting Nvidia Shield TV Pro to E70 via USB? I have such setup with DX3 Pro but thinking of upgrade to E70.

aka_Z

Exactly!

@ThatGuyYouKnow could you do us a favor? Please connect E70 to Nvidia Shield and play some music, video, youtube... for a while? Confirm that works and no jittering, interruptions, etc. Nvidia Shield has an option to select audio output. USB should be preferred over HDMI but if there is no sound, please check that as well.

ThatGuyYouKnow

Exactly!

@ThatGuyYouKnow could you do us a favor? Please connect E70 to Nvidia Shield and play some music, video, youtube... for a while? Confirm that works and no jittering, interruptions, etc. Nvidia Shield has an option to select audio output. USB should be preferred over HDMI but if there is no sound, please check that as well.
I tried it and same behavior as when connecting it to my SMSL PO100 PRO. The Shield automatically detected and selected the E70 and outputs everything in 192khz in high quality USB mode. No anomalies with YouTube, Hulu, Peacock, HBO Max or Disney+ apps. It just works, as it should.

ThatGuyYouKnow

Perfect, thank you so much! :)
No problem. The large number of devices that work well with USB to go along with only one input on these DACs is why I keep bothering Topping to make a comprehensive USB audio switcher. I think that would sell quite well.

aka_Z

Interesting but it makes sense. Did you get any answer from Topping?

I have USB hub with similar function to connect the same keyboard and mouse to laptop and desktop. One button to switch between those two.

ash1980

I'm planning to connect the e70 directly to my power amp. However, I've heard / read that the problem with topping is that there DACs are good but built-in pre amps are not that good, with bloated bass and harsh treble and mid and a V curve instead of neutral out put. How correct is that?

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm planning to connect the e70 directly to my power amp. However, I've heard / read that the problem with topping is that there DACs are good but built-in pre amps are not that good, with bloated bass and harsh treble and mid and a V curve instead of neutral out put. How correct is that?
I use the E70 in "preamp mode" and can not share this experience. It works perfect with my Audiophonics Purifi.

rarewolf

If you check around, I believe you’ll find that opinion is not the consensus. No one is claiming it’s the best, rather best value, relative to its competition…

#jussayin

ash1980

Got it. I'm new to this so just for my knowledge, the measurements that Amir did , are they limited to DAC only or does it measure the Preamp part as well ?

BR52

Got it. I'm new to this so just for my knowledge, the measurements that Amir did , are they limited to DAC only or does it measure the Preamp part as well ?
"preamp mode" means the volume control is done digitally in the DAC, there is physically no preamp.

BR52

So technically it doesn't distort / effect the signal in any way?
Right!

Some here will tell you there are some drawbacks, and in some circumstances they are right, in others not, but for understanding the pros and cons you have to spend some time to learn.
Anyhow, we are talking of in 99.99% perfectionism with or without Preamp.

ash1980

Got it, makes sense. Btw, the part of the world where I live in I am getting Topping DX3 Pro+ immediately. E70 will take 6 weeks to arrive. Any major difference between the two?

BR52

Got it, makes sense. Btw, the part of the world where I live in I am getting Topping DX3 Pro+ immediately. E70 will take 6 weeks to arrive. Any major difference between the two?
You will find a sense making solution for you.
You are welcome
My pleasure

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
As long as you follow the proper sequence of powering the devices (amp always last,AFTER checking DAC's levels ) you are almost safe.
Nevertheless there are (VERY rare) occasions that a glitch can present the full output to the amp,that's the risk.

chillwig

DX3 Pro+ has a headphone amp.

Burns

I had a DX3 Pro+
I have an E70
After all, I'm thinking if I didn't overpay, if I need it and if I shouldn't go back to dx3 pro +.
What do you advise?
I don't know if I can hear the difference on the Musical Fidelity M3si column amplifier?
I'm tempted to go a completely different way and try the supposedly "worse" ifi zen one signature

Top Bottom