• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING DX9!

vco1

can't wait for Amir's review!
Usually ASR is pretty fast when it comes to reviewing new Topping products. Quite often reviews even appear on the day of release of the product. Not this time. Not with this flagship.

delamelon

for preamp processors (I don't know if there are any...)

is the equalizer active in this mode?

thx

Sokel

Master Contributor
By the way, why two screens? Isn't just better to put the knob on one side and have one bigger screen?
Two screens are usually on devices that combine DAC and streamer for example.
Size constrains maybe?

BrooklynNick

The DX9 is a limited edition per the product page. Not clear how many they plan to make, but that likely accounts for the high price and lack of a review unit. Are there enough serious Topping fans out there to sell out a "limited" edition?

Last edited:

nonnyno

So, I can only guess the DX9 was somewhat a failure. Not even a unit to @amirm to review.
That’s something of an extension. A failure in what way. It’s a limited edition they won’t produce many and presumably won’t release many for review. I note they were previously showing up on Amazon uk up till a few days ago but have now been removed. I’m interested but won’t buy without an objective review.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That’s something of an extension. A failure in what way. It’s a limited edition they won’t produce many and presumably won’t release many for review. I note they were previously showing up on Amazon uk up till a few days ago but have now been removed. I’m interested but won’t buy without an objective review.
Way too expensive. Many totl stacks are more affordable.

BrooklynNick

I agree it is too expensive, but some small percent of people are probably excited by it being a 15th Anniversary Limited Edition and having a clear top. There are plenty of people for whom price is not the primary concern.

Personally, I'm super happy with my DX7 Pro+ and don't see myself buying another combo unit until they come out with one that has Ethernet input and is Roon Ready.

Arnas

I ordered Dx9 past weekend... Hopefully i will receive it until friday.
Im tired of all cables and want Dac/HeadAmp.
Gonna write here how it feels and how it looks.

Last edited:

AzReciOn

I completely do not understand those who say that it is "too expensive" - yes, it is definitely not cheap, but I absolutely do not understand why the DX9 is compared with "half-hearted" solutions (like the DX7 Pro+ or just a separate DAC). Let's compare objectively - this is a 3-in-1 device: DAC, preamp and headphone amplifier. At the same time, each of these aspects is made at the highest level, which means that for an objective assessment we will have to choose an equivalent device. What would be an equivalent device in this case?... Personally, I do not know such a device, so I can only offer individual devices.

Let's say a DAC - which device will we take for a parity comparison?... Since the DX9 is built on AKM (even omit the fact that it is based on the rarest AK4499EQ from old stocks - let it be just AK4499, otherwise we won't pick up anything at all), and we have a huge number of very different digital inputs on board, then it must be something equivalent. What will we choose?... OK, let's omit the extra pair of coaxial and optical inputs. And still we don't have such a device in the Topping line. Well, let's look at other brands: let's say it could be the SMSL D400EX ($960) - it also has a good set of inputs, but, alas, it does not have a trigger, and also not so convenient input management. That is, it is not exactly a comparable DAC, but it is enough for an approximate determination of the value. And it's not just about the chip, but also about the overall level of the device as a whole (although in fact, I believe that the DX9 is made at a higher level).

Now we need to choose the appropriate preamp and headphone amplifier (and let's not say that a DAC with a pair of operational amplifiers replaces a full-fledged discrete preamp). What kind of device will it be? L70? Well, on the part of the preamp, yes, but not on the part of the headphone amplifier. A70 Pro? Well, not really either, but we don't have the best (well, rather, there is - it's a DX9), so we'll take it - $499.

Now let's use "first-class" math: $960 + $499 - how much will it be?... $1459?... For 2 devices that still need to be connected with wires and somehow more or less beautifully placed on the equipment rack... Instead of buying one that has it all, while all this is packed into a beautiful harmonious single case and has a large convenient volume knob (and, by the way, a single higher-quality remote control)...

Now, attention, the question is: is $1300 still "too expensive"?...

P.S. But, considering that this is a limited device (since the stock of DAC chips is limited), I really hope that it will go exclusively to those who really need it.

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
Well, SMSL dl200 would suffice for most users..

AdrianusG

Attachments

• 1701344903707.png
    1701344903707.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 169

nonnyno

Well, SMSL dl200 would suffice for most users..
A bicycle would be appreciate for most people but it doesn’t stop them buying cars. Most people could get away with a tablet or just a mobile phone but it doesn’t stop them buying computers.trying to impose your value (or risk criteria) on others is really a fools errand. You don’t know there circumstances and where they choose to focus their attentions.

cheapmessiah

I completely do not understand those who say that it is "too expensive" - yes, it is definitely not cheap, but I absolutely do not understand why the DX9 is compared with "half-hearted" solutions (like the DX7 Pro+ or just a separate DAC). Let's compare objectively - this is a 3-in-1 device: DAC, preamp and headphone amplifier. At the same time, each of these aspects is made at the highest level, which means that for an objective assessment we will have to choose an equivalent device. What would be an equivalent device in this case?... Personally, I do not know such a device, so I can only offer individual devices.

Let's say a DAC - which device will we take for a parity comparison?... Since the DX9 is built on AKM (even omit the fact that it is based on the rarest AK4499EQ from old stocks - let it be just AK4499, otherwise we won't pick up anything at all), and we have a huge number of very different digital inputs on board, then it must be something equivalent. What will we choose?... OK, let's omit the extra pair of coaxial and optical inputs. And still we don't have such a device in the Topping line. Well, let's look at other brands: let's say it could be the SMSL D400EX ($960) - it also has a good set of inputs, but, alas, it does not have a trigger, and also not so convenient input management. That is, it is not exactly a comparable DAC, but it is enough for an approximate determination of the value. And it's not just about the chip, but also about the overall level of the device as a whole (although in fact, I believe that the DX9 is made at a higher level).

Now we need to choose the appropriate preamp and headphone amplifier (and let's not say that a DAC with a pair of operational amplifiers replaces a full-fledged discrete preamp). What kind of device will it be? L70? Well, on the part of the preamp, yes, but not on the part of the headphone amplifier. A70 Pro? Well, not really either, but we don't have the best (well, rather, there is - it's a DX9), so we'll take it - $499.

Now let's use "first-class" math: $960 + $499 - how much will it be?... $1459?... For 2 devices that still need to be connected with wires and somehow more or less beautifully placed on the equipment rack... Instead of buying one that has it all, while all this is packed into a beautiful harmonious single case and has a large convenient volume knob (and, by the way, a single higher-quality remote control)...

Now, attention, the question is: is $1300 still "too expensive"?...

P.S. But, considering that this is a limited device (since the stock of DAC chips is limited), I really hope that it will go exclusively to those who really need it.

Its been debated on the thread before, but in short, its a luxury item, at a luxury item price, but without the luxury item warrantee/assurances.

Topping gambles too much with QC, on an agresively competitively priced TOTL amp that costs 300$ it might make sense, at 1300$ its a gamble that doesnt pay off if the appliances star failing, at these price ranges the market niche is minute and customers are easily scared by unit failures.

The TOPTL DACs at $900+ offer pretty much nothing over a $150 one, people might do whatever they want with their money, but theres 0 value proposition in this aspect.

At its price range the DX9 seems to be aiming at a target audience that just doesnt exist, at least not on western markets.

As a show of engineering capabilities, the DX9 and A90D, to name some examples, make a lot of sense, but for customers unless those items are priced at outrageous loss leader prices, they make little sense.

AzReciOn

Its been debated on the thread before, but in short, its a luxury item, at a luxury item price, but without the luxury item warrantee/assurances.

Topping gambles too much with QC, on an agresively competitively priced TOTL amp that costs 300$ it might make sense, at 1300$ its a gamble that doesnt pay off if the appliances star failing, at these price ranges the market niche is minute and customers are easily scared by unit failures.

The TOPTL DACs at $900+ offer pretty much nothing over a $150 one, people might do whatever they want with their money, but theres 0 value proposition in this aspect.

At its price range the DX9 seems to be aiming at a target audience that just doesnt exist, at least not on western markets.

As a show of engineering capabilities, the DX9 and A90D, to name some examples, make a lot of sense, but for customers unless those items are priced at outrageous loss leader prices, they make little sense.
Well, I suggest you name an alternative - simply and to the point: one specific model. This will immediately remove all questions.

nonnyno

Your statement is clearly not correct. I am a potential customer so the target market does exist!

You say they gamble with QC. Frankly I’ve had no failures from either topping or Smsl equipment. I have more than 1 device. I’ve actually had more trouble in the past from both us and European equipment. My experience has been different to yours.

From my perspective topping/Smsl seem to both offer reasonably well priced products with a performance well above the price (when compared with their mainstream brethren). They’re cheap end ugh for the most part that if they go wrong I don’t suffer an existential crisis and can afford to replace them. What’s not to like. The dx9 pro is at the top end of the low priced tier or the bottom end of the mid priced tier in my view.

cheapmessiah

Well, I suggest you name an alternative - simply and to the point: one specific model. This will immediately remove all questions.

You are trying to reduce the issue to market value vs competition, eliminating the existence of both the consumer and the offerings that are similar, but not identical, on the market. We both can fabricate a scenario where either of us is right and the other is wrong by artificially limiting the boundaries of the discussion. And this would be fruitless.

If you think this is priced right, go buy it. I would still recomend people who are looking into buying this to also consider that an A70pro and a D-6 gives them pretty much the same features and performance for half the price, and if they are set on burning money on an AiO, the RME ADI-2 pro, for a couple hundred more dollars, is superior in every way except power output, that unless you are runing HE-6 or susvara you wont need.

nonnyno

You are trying to reduce the issue to market value vs competition, eliminating the existence of both the consumer and the offerings that are similar, but not identical, on the market. We both can fabricate a scenario where either of us is right and the other is wrong by artificially limiting the boundaries of the discussion. And this would be fruitless.

If you think this is priced right, go buy it. I would still recomend people who are looking into buying this to also consider that an A70pro and a D-6 gives them pretty much the same features and performance for half the price, and if they are set on burning money on an AiO, the RME ADI-2 pro, for a couple hundred more dollars, is superior in every way except power output, that unless you are runing HE-6 or susvara you wont need.
And potentially cosmetically and potentially from a sinad perspective (inaudible I’ll grant you) and it’s more expensive. Ultimately my view is people should buy what they want to buy. If they want onspaffa million on a valve amplifier (read noise generator and space heater) and they have the bucks do it. Just don’t do it thinking you’re getting hi fidelity transparent sound. With the sx9 pro you are though and you’re not spending all that much. I am still dithering between an a70 pro d70pro combo or a dx9. I’m beginning to think that by the time the dx9 gets reviewed they’ll all be sold!

Top Bottom