• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING DX9!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May someone explain the purpose of these two distinct XLR Outputs ?
1000020078.png

Why is one fixed, and the other variable, if both seem to share the same 4.2Vrms ? Is one has a dedicated, real preamp circuit, working next to the fixed output out of the DAC ?
Edit: solved !

I expect they've sent one to Amir for a review.
Seriously, what to expect ? The check for the thousandth time that their own AP measurements are reliable and repeatable? Great. That's not really the "issue" with Topping. In fact, it never has been. I would rather wanna ear from user experience and confort (does this new remote properly work?) and long term reliability. That would actually matter more than another 123/125dB SINAD DAC measured in 2023.

But, anyway : Obviously, Topping did send a review sample to Amir. That goes without saying.

Last edited:

August

May someone explain the purpose of these two distinct XLR Outputs ?
View attachment 319745
Why is one fixed, and the other variable, if both seem to share the same (BTW pretty week at this price and competition) 4.2Vrms ? Is one has a dedicated, real preamp circuit, working next to the fixed output out of the DAC ?

Seriously, what to expect ? The check for the thousandth time that their own AP measurements are reliable and repeatable? Great. That's not really the "issue" with Topping. In fact, it never has been. I would rather wanna ear from user experience and confort (does this new remote properly work?) and long term reliability. That would actually matter more than another 123/125dB SINAD DAC measured in 2023.

But, anyway : Obviously, Topping did send a review sample to Amir. That goes without saying.
The pre output is amplified using the nfca module, which provides the same voltage as the headphone output.

vco1

I thought this "panoramic sunroof" was only for their pre-production (show) models. But it seems it's a feature. What a strange design decision.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Too expensive for what it does. A stack of any decent balanced dac+ a70pro is way more value for the money.

Last edited:

Tovarich007

Indeed, we are a lot here who think that at such price, buy to buy a RME or another well established pro interface is a much wiser decision. Well, may be except the Sinad record breakers adorator type of guys or the fans of fancy display with vu meters.

feman-tw

I have bought it with ~1000 USD including global shipping fee. Can't wait to enjoy it.

iNetRunner

Sheesh. The amount of people commenting that the product is too expensive. The possible reliability issues are a concern, sure, I get that. But certainly Topping can ask however much they want for the range topping “aspirational” model product.

Since the cheaper products already give you excellent performance, the “top” model is for you if you don’t care for the price (and can pay pretty much any number) and you are simply after the absolute best.

Maybe it’s disappointment that in that the dream is broken, etc., aspect? Or in the fear that they turn into a major brand priced manufacturer?

Sonic-Wall

With that price, I rather buy RME ADI 2 FS.
I think that the DX9 provides a much better connectivity and eventually also a better sound. I expect many reviews for this DAC.
The main advantage of the RME ADI-2 is the parametric equalizer.

vco1

The main advantage of the RME ADI-2 is the parametric equalizer.
And the fact that RME is a reliable and well-respected German manufacturer. One that is known for giving long term support for their products. And has a worldwide support network.

I'm saying this as an owner of a Topping DX7Pro. Not an RME device.

Sonic-Wall

And I‘m saying this as a RME owner who would love to see I2S.
With the new RME Remote SW, WiFi on the ADI-2 would be awesome!

Top Bottom