• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING DX9!

nonnyno

D90 and D70pro are already ridiculous products, performance wise undistinguishable from a 140$ DAC, and those 140$ DACs have been for as long as the D90 on the market, so we cant even talk about trickle down tech. And while I admit that those expensive DACs do have some interesting and useful features, neither of those have 500-600€ in extra features, be it from cost or value to the customer.

I believe that all of us chi-fi buyers do so because we can have TOTL performance for a small fraction of what is available from a european/american manufacturer, and we have come to terms with the fact that chinese made and sold products have drawbacks that we accept because of the insanely attractive prices, but why would I pay eurpean/american made prices for a product that doesnt have the same warrantees as those made in western countries?

And also, this is a complete missead of the market by Topping, hobby products in the 1000 to 2000€ bracket are the trickiest to sell when they are competing aginst more expensive similar products unless they are the bargain of the century, most people willing to pay this much for an unnecessary luxury item dont mind expending more for the best of the best, they dont care about dimishing returns and have lots of disposable income.
I think you're generalising far too much. Not all of us by Chinese hi fi products purely becasue of price. I am relatively price insensitive. I am prepared to pay extra for aesthetics or for something I like the idea or looks of. I'm not prepared to pay 5,000 for something that doesn't have performance (audible or not) that exceeds something for 200, 500 or even 1000 pounds. I am prepared to pay a bit extra for something with excellent design, decent components, decent amplification and totl measurements (audible or not) which I like the look of. There's no evidence that Topping is less reliable than RME and so far I havent had a single problem with any of the topping or SMSL products I've bought. Furthermore devices like the A70pro give you options should you buy devices that needs the extra power and devices like the dx9 pro may give you the equivelant performance and power in a single box which could be useful if one moves around a bit (its less to box up) so one can expect a small premium for convenience. Right now we don't have a review or measurements. Why not wait for that before criticising?

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some new photos from @SHENZHENAUDIO
@SHENZHENAUDIO any idea about availability date?
F6h2QRTWEAAU3-L.jpg

F6h2QSCXYAAUuml.jpg

F6h2QSJXAAAl8q_.jpg

F6h2QTEWgAAPyLi.jpg

376255775_727761226030993_7628045273182194167_n.jpg

376240674_727761206030995_3646595018265484502_n.jpg

ps. interestingly on some photos you can spot amplifier modules potted and on some they are naked.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got to be $800 to $1000 at which point you'd be wanting DSP built in, which isn't going to happen.
Would be great if they left some space to put your own SBC at least for the hobbyists.

cheapmessiah

Vladetz

It is almost capable to drive speakers

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Tovarich007

1 300 € (or $). Topping goes far off the budget brand category.

Performances aren't much more superlative than their already excellent 90 or 70 sabre Series,
As for me, I prefer the aesthetics of the 70 Sabre series.
So I wait for a 7DX Sabre DAC/BT/headphone/preamp integrated. hope they'll release one soon.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Two things.
A higher than 1000$ DAC-HPA usually comes with a top of the line (bragging-grade) support apart from anything else.I hope they are ready for that.

And second,the rarity of the previous generation DAC chip (no longer produced after the fire) makes someone wonder about the availability of replacement devices after a year or two (or whatever the warranty is) if needed so.I hope they have this base covered too.

HDavidson

Above all, it is reliability. And the... I have had several Topping devices. To see the rest.

Tovarich007

Above all, it is reliability. And the... I have had several Topping devices. To see the rest.
And ? what about the reliability of the Topping devices you've had ?

I have a Topping Dx7s, it works fine since 4 years now. Its ergonomics are not very practical, as all the Topping and SMSL share the same type of remote, one could expect and ask for a serious improvment on the new top range models ! this would be much mre useful than a new product release each two weeks !t has some minors bugs, too, for instance the automatice exitinction coupled with my computer on USB is working sometimes, not always,

More annoying though not very serious once we know, it has, from the first use, a very audible "ploc" at extinction,

But all in all, no serious reliaility problem for the moment
The sound is extremely good on the headphone output (unbalanced. (I don't have a balanced connector on my Sennheiser 560S).

The sound is correct on line output, but definitely less excellent than the headphone output, no matter what the measured datas say, line output is quite perfectible..
Of course, I'm talking only about the Dx7 and DX7s series, not the rest of Topping range, I've ever used nor listened to any other Topping device.

Tovarich007

Four devices, all broke after the warranty expired. Now, DX5 lite. This is the third time, after the exchange, in the last 6 months. More questions?

Which models had you that broke ?
Anyway, 3 broken devices in a row !, that's not bad luck, that's definitely a lack of qualty control from those brands, and your testimony is alas not the only one !

As for me, I don't think I will ever buy another Topping or SMSL device.
I'd better save money and buy a RME, a Neumann or the new Genelec interface. Performances and sound won't be better (but very good anyway) but at least I'll have a service from the brand and a long established distribution. Those old european pro companies can't allow to put on the market fragile and not enough tested products, Their long term reputation would be rapidly ruined if they do so.
Of course, a reliability problem is always possible, zero risk doesn't exist, but it's all a question of statistics. Having less than 1 or 2% flawed devices is reasonable, having more than 5 or 10 % of bugged and flawed problem is faulty and warning a no go for every wise buyer IMO.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now listed at @Audiophonics

Wow. That's actually more expensive than an ADI-2 DAC. o_O

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Now listed at @Audiophonics

Wow. That's actually more expensive than an ADI-2 DAC. o_O
No brainer unless you need the extra oomph the DX9 has on the HP out

DSP and a very good low/ negative gain output for IEM on the RME.

Bluetooth might be a convenience for some but why anyone would have BT as a main source on a $1300 dac/ amp is beyond me so forget that as a main feature.

I know which one I would back in a long distance race too....

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Got to be $800 to $1000 at which point you'd be wanting DSP built in, which isn't going to happen.

People will buy it but I'm not sure why.
I low-balled it.

Stand by the second sentence though. Regardless of performance, no DSP and no streaming at this price make it a no no for any sane buyer.

Top Bottom