• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING DX9!

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
-684f8e5c6599fd2b.jpg
a2da47ec7ab31df.jpg

Bleib

Major Contributor
Not gonna be cheap

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Got to be $800 to $1000 at which point you'd be wanting DSP built in, which isn't going to happen.

People will buy it but I'm not sure why.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
If it's going to be as powerful as a90d with built in some dsp I might consider it, like really consider.

ThatGuyYouKnow

Is that an additional set of coaxial and optical inputs? With all those USB sources out there (consoles, streamers, PCs, etc.), you would think Topping would rather add a USB input instead.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Is that an additional set of coaxial and optical inputs? With all those USB sources out there (consoles, streamers, PCs, etc.), you would think Topping would rather add a USB input instead.
Personally, I’d much rather have more SPDIF inputs — USB support on non-PC devices seems incredibly spotty, at least with game consoles.

Anyway does this thing have analog inputs???

ThatGuyYouKnow

Personally, I’d much rather have more SPDIF inputs — USB support on non-PC devices seems incredibly spotty, at least with game consoles.

Anyway does this thing have analog inputs???
Some of the DAC manufacturers seem to have finally figured out how to handle consoles. The SMSL PO100 PRO has a UAC1 mode that works flawlessly with consoles. This aspect should be introduced into high-end DACs. The more functionality, the better.

Good question about analog inputs. Topping certainly knows how to make an extremely clean analog section, so XLR-in would add lots of value to this.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Some of the DAC manufacturers seem to have finally figured out how to handle consoles. The SMSL PO100 PRO has a UAC1 mode that works flawlessly with consoles. This aspect should be introduced into high-end DACs. The more functionality, the better.

Good question about analog inputs. Topping certainly knows how to make an extremely clean analog section, so XLR-in would add lots of value to this.

SMSL’s UAC1 support actually working with the Switch and PS5 is iffy from device to device!

ThatGuyYouKnow

SMSL’s UAC1 support actually working with the Switch and PS5 is iffy from device to device!
They were iffy, but the new stuff actually works. The PO100 PRO is relatively new and has no problems with the Switch or PS5. I don't know what they did to screw up UAC1 mode on the earlier stuff, other than possibly reporting a bit-depth higher than the 16-bit that at least the Switch requires.

Last edited:

notsodeadlizard

So, the real formidable AKM chipset... but I say a confident and justified "no" to this device precisely because of the excellent chipset which is difficult (but possible) to spoil.
This device is out of the reasonable price range for any company that does not provide normal support and service.
In this case, the company can still give something, for example, a modular design with replaceable I/V converters or amplifiers, a good margin for low-noise supply voltage (what if someone wants to put a class A power buffer on the output of this DAC, for example, is it prohibited?) reasonable minimalism and ease of device control, and finally, simply impressive enclosure design (or even different enclosure options because different people already have different systems).
But none of this will happen.
All this is very boring.

Sokel

Master Contributor
6 potted moduals , can't help wondering about reliability.
I'm sure they studied and learned their lesson.
Thing is that mind is always connects dots and they should at least figure out some other way to disguise it as long as the practice showed it didn't even work to hide the circuit.

Human Bass

Unfortunetaly no console has proper support got USB audio. Some work with uac1, when uac2 is much better.

jae

Major Contributor
They should have made it double height (maybe a nicer chassis?), added some more inputs/outputs and added DSP. Maybe even ADC. That would be a nice product to buy.

Top Bottom