• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping dx7 pro high output impedance

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I suggested this set up with a friend and found out later the 1/4 headphone out has a higher ohm resistance than suggested.

Is it a problem?

D

Deleted member 18309

Is it a problem?

Topping’s measurements state the single-ended output impedance is 4.7 ohms. I’m no expert, but I think it should not be an issue as long as the headphones being used have impedances above 38 ohms (estimating with damping factor of 8). Headphones with impedances below that will work but may have their frequency responses altered (for better or worse).

Members with more technical knowledge, feel free to chime in.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's stated to have higher output impedance.

D

Deleted member 18309

Do you mean Amir’s measurement of 6.2 ohms single-ended as per here? If so, then Amir has given the advice that headphones with impedance less than 60 ohms may have changes to frequency response. Which may answer OP’s question.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Do you mean Amir’s measurement of 6.2 ohms single-ended as per here? If so, then Amir has given the advice that headphones with impedance less than 50 ohms may have changes to frequency response. Which may answer OP’s question.
It's 4.7 for single ended and 9.4 for balanced according to spec sheet. Depending on the headphones or earphones it may cause frequency response variation.

D

Deleted member 18309

It's 4.7 for single ended and 9.4 for balanced according to spec sheet. Depending on the headphones or earphones it may cause frequency response variation.

I agree, but I focused on the single-ended measurements because OP mentioned 1/4 inch. But reading the original post again, maybe I misinterpreted because it says “higher ohm resistance than suggested” - perhaps it is referring to Topping’s 4.7ohm measurement vs Amir’s 6.2ohm measurement for 1/4 inch?

Either way thanks for clarifying, John. I think your response should sufficiently clarify for OP.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I agree, but I focused on the single-ended measurements because OP mentioned 1/4 inch. But reading the original post again, maybe I misinterpreted because it says “higher ohm resistance than suggested” - perhaps it is referring to Topping’s 4.7ohm measurement vs Amir’s 6.2ohm measurement for 1/4 inch?

Either way thanks for clarifying, John. I think you response should sufficiently clarify for OP.
I thought he meant higher than 0.1Ohm.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I suggested this set up with a friend and found out later the 1/4 headphone out has a higher ohm resistance than suggested.

Is it a problem?

For a LOT of headphones about 5 Ohm output resistance is not a problem.
As John already mentioned... it is highly dependent on the used headphone(s)

I have the Hifiman Sundaras with 37 ohm impedance on the DX7 Pro's 1/4"output and everything seems dandy, but I have no other points of reference. Would it be a waste to get balanced cable because of the increase to 9.4 ohms?

ELberto

Forum Donor
Soon to be in the same boat as you theglobalelite so I'd love to get an answer before I pull the trigger on the DX7 Pro. Got the Sundaras already.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You should design all in one. Market needs it. Combine the e30 l30 a50s a90 d90 and such. No offense to topping but all in ones having higher output impedance disapointing. People need all in one that has stack performance.

Reactions: Tks

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use 50ohm Focal Clears on my DX7 Pro and have not noticed any issues.

Martin

D

Deleted member 22273

considering dx3 or dx7. Will they work great with my grados

Top Bottom