• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5

Zim

Forum Donor
276067584_5322799424397540_1340874133948914160_n.jpg

A new DAC/Headphone Amp combo on the way according to their Facebook page.
Found a link to the manual here and here.

Seems like it'll be everything I need. And I don't doubt it'll be as excellent as other Topping products.

bungle

I would make one change to this, change the XLR headphone output to mic input with phantom power. Then it would be perfect, ;-)

audiofun

I would make one change to this, change the XLR headphone output to mic input with phantom power. Then it would be perfect, ;-)
topping won't do that. they are not targeting that market.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like an EX5 in a new case. Is it possible to tell from the specs if the XLR headphone output is truly balanced or just or 'convenience' like on the EX5?

1647695449336.png

audiofun

From the teardown I would say this won't be cheap. although it looks like a EX5 there are notable differences --- CPLD clock solution, higher grade caps, 4 pairs of IV conversion, OPA1612 instead of cheaper opamps, new case (although IMHO very ugly). I guess it would cost much more than EX5 --- at least $500.

DX3Pro+ is still the cost/performance winner. Good enough performance. HP and Line outs. One can easily extend the rear output to balanced.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not a huge fan of the new case design or the use of an OLED display, although do I appreciate that Topping are trying do something different. Topping appears to be taking design queues from Matrix Audio Mini i 3.

cheapmessiah

EX5 might be fully tied to shenzenaudio, and it also seems like a double down on branding, since the DX3 pro+ has become very popular, so changing the product name to a more recognized line might be a good idea to persuade potential buyers that arent hardcore into this hobby and know every brand and product on the market and are researching more superficially.

I dont particularly like the case, it might look better on full black tho, and i also liked that topping was reusing existing tooling from the a30/d30 on the ex5, as i percieve this as the brand being able to offer a more agresive price on the product while "wasting" less money on superfluous changes that arent as important on this price range.

My guess is that it might be in the 250-350$, on the lower side of that range if the ex5 stays on the market, and on the higher if it gets superceded by the dx5.

audiofun

My guess is that it might be in the 250-350$, on the lower side of that range if the ex5 stays on the market, and on the higher if it gets superceded by the dx5.
No way that could happen. DX5 should cost much, much more than E50 ($250), as it has dual DAC chips and IV converters, additional amp section, internal power supply, more connections (XLR), bluetooth, etc.

Topping is not cheap, especially when you talk about their higher end products. There's zero way for DX5's price tag to be below $350.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It will cost more even if it uses same EX5 like components as prices are just going up. So 500$ is realistic estimate, still if it gets better availability (EU - US...) and retain mentioned price it will go. It's not that you need better performance than EX5, eventually more strength (voltage) from hedaphone amplifier retaining good SNR on lo loads. Tho some things nedded refining like wider IR diode on remote side and BT transmitter capabilities (but that's more tied to implementation really). In the end it's early to claim anything until we see; how it performs, how much it costs and how good it work's.

alekksander

the use of an OLED display
If i'm correct it uses Orange LED, not OLED, so me hopes more d30pro look-a-like it is.
edit: perhaps not:
led.png

I'm more considered about that volume knob as it seems mismatched.

Last edited:

inscythe

Looks pretty!

Screenshot 2022-03-23 183942.png

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
Still waiting for the a90/d90 specced combo unit...this almost got my hopes up :facepalm:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
The performance specs seem identical to the EX5 or am I imagining things ?

Top Bottom