• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro USB input is no longer recognized after firmware update

GB223

Hey guys would really appreciate any help here.
I own the DX3 Pro and I accidently updated the firmware using the newer model DX3 Pro+ firmware.
Now my PC no longer recognizes the usb connection. I've tried other usb ports, another pc, I tried resetting to factory setting by turning counter-clockwise the volume nob and nothing seem to work. The unit itself works perfectly fine with all the other inputs such as optic fiber, bluetooth its just the usb connection that is no longer working.
Does someone have any suggestion? I'm assuming installing an older firmware might fix the issue however I am unable to attempt this because the pc and the Topping control panel doesn't even recognize that the unit is plugged in as shown is the screenshot so I cant install firmware using this method.
Any help is highly appreciated.
Screenshot 2022-05-02 095438.png

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I can tell, the DX3 Pro+ has a newer version of the USB chip (XMOS XU208 Gen2) than the older non-plus unit. This may explain why you can no longer access the unit after flashing. Have you tried to contact Topping?

...and welcome to ASR (sorry it had to be for this reason).

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This firmware is only for DX3Pro+ and is NOT applicable to any other models including DX3Pro. If this firmware is flashed to other models, it will immediately cause the product to be unusable and unable to repair by yourself.
Good thing they so clearly signaled the different versions with the “+”. Hard to see how anyone could mistake that.

Reactions: JRS
OP
G

GB223

From what I can tell, the DX3 Pro+ has a newer version of the USB chip (XMOS XU208 Gen2) than the older non-plus unit. This may explain why you can no longer access the unit after flashing. Have you tried to contact Topping?

...and welcome to ASR (sorry it had to be for this reason).
Yes it was completely my mistake for not noticing that the firmware was for the "+" model. Until yesterday I wasn't even aware they made a newer model to the DX3. I contacted Topping and got a reply that they are on a holiday and contact me back when they come back but tbh I don't have high hopes getting helpful support from them.
Seems ridiculous to me that if you install a wrong/faulty firmware there is no way to revert to an older one.

And thanks:) seems like an excellent forum, I'm glad I encountered this even if it was for unfortunate reasons.

giordy

Hey guys would really appreciate any help here.
I own the DX3 Pro and I accidently updated the firmware using the newer model DX3 Pro+ firmware.
Now my PC no longer recognizes the usb connection. I've tried other usb ports, another pc, I tried resetting to factory setting by turning counter-clockwise the volume nob and nothing seem to work. The unit itself works perfectly fine with all the other inputs such as optic fiber, bluetooth its just the usb connection that is no longer working.
Does someone have any suggestion? I'm assuming installing an older firmware might fix the issue however I am unable to attempt this because the pc and the Topping control panel doesn't even recognize that the unit is plugged in as shown is the screenshot so I cant install firmware using this method.
Any help is highly appreciated.
what firmware version did it have? ..... do you remember?
firmware 2.44 for the d30-pro can be downloaded here
ask in topping (or here on ASR if they know) if you can install this firmware.

RandomEar

Seems ridiculous to me that if you install a wrong/faulty firmware there is no way to revert to an older one.

No offense, but I wouldn't consider it ridiculous. You literally killed the USB communication that is used to update the firmware - by accident, but it's still dead. Unless there's a basic bootloader still present, the only way to bring this back to life is to connect to a different serial interface like SPI on the device for re-programming the USB firmware. For this, you would need a serial programmer and the device needs to have a connector for you to "talk" to the SPI bus (or you need a special clamp to attach directly to the microntroller). And of course you need the firmware file. In the end, I'd guess that this is only practical for Topping to do themselves.

I would still say this is badly designed by Topping: It's trivially easy to have the flashing tool check, which device and version number is attached to the PC and if that device is compatible with the firmware file to-be-flashed. Such checks are standard practice for every type of consumer electronics I have ever encountered. From cameras over TVs to smartphones - no device I have ever seen allowed you to accidentally flash an incorrect firmware. Often, the tools even prevented flashing older versions and you could only upgrade to more recent ones.

OP
G

GB223

No offense, but I wouldn't consider it ridiculous. You literally killed the USB communication that is used to update the firmware - by accident, but it's still dead. Unless there's a basic bootloader still present, the only way to bring this back to life is to connect to a different serial interface like SPI on the device for re-programming the USB firmware. For this, you would need a serial programmer and the device needs to have a connector for you to "talk" to the SPI bus (or you need a special clamp to attach directly to the microntroller). And of course you need the firmware file. In the end, I'd guess that this is only practical for Topping to do themselves.

I would still say this is badly designed by Topping: It's trivially easy to have the flashing tool check, which device and version number is attached to the PC and if that device is compatible with the firmware file to-be-flashed. Such checks are standard practice for every type of consumer electronics I have ever encountered. From cameras over TVs to smartphones - no device I have ever seen allowed you to accidentally flash an incorrect firmware. Often, the tools even prevented flashing older versions and you could only upgrade to more recent ones.
yea I meant its ridiculous that they don't have a compatible check like you mentioned to prevent these accidents

Bleib

Major Contributor
Glad it didn't completely brick the unit, at least that's something

OP
G

GB223

Just to wanted to update that Topping support had contacted me back and even though my device is no longer under warranty, they are willing to repair it as long as I pay for the shipping which I think is more than fair.

JRS

Major Contributor
I have the same problem, and tried a variety of strategies in loading the drivers. Before it was somewhat challenging, but now using win 11, I can't even get BT to work consistently. I guess no recourse but to seek assistance. It's too bad that such nuisances are present in arguably one of the great bangs for a buck.

Edit: So I went and did the firmware update--now I get USB fine and BT but not if the Topping is still connected via USB. Has it always been this way, or is Windows just making it increasingly difficult to share media? In any even t a very happy camper as I wasted several hours last night trying to get anything to communicate.

If it isn't double blind, likely is double talk.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I would still say this is badly designed by Topping.
I agree. I believe every computer motherboard has the original BIOS stored in "permanent memory" (or memory that can't be accidentally altered by the user). Then there is either a jumper on the board or keystroke combination to revert to the original BIOS if something goes-wrong when updating.

And of course most consumer products are not intended for user-updating... "You get what you get" and it's only updated if there is a recall.

The company I work for attempted to do that with some of our products but for some reason it was never implemented (I don't work in engineering so I don't know what happened). The units are field-updatable but in our case firmware updates are rare and the customer can return it to us for updating or if they brick it, even if it's out of warranty. (These are not consumer products.)

JRS

Major Contributor
Just to wanted to update that Topping support had contacted me back and even though my device is no longer under warranty, they are willing to repair it as long as I pay for the shipping which I think is more than fair.
Edit: So I went and did the firmware update--now I get USB fine and BT but not if the Topping is still connected via USB. Has it always been this way, or is Windows just making it increasingly difficult to share media? In any even t a very happy camper as I wasted several hours last night trying to get anything to communicate.

JRS

Major Contributor
Just a quick question--I cannot find the "include:" file that one of the members had found to be a best fit for the Harmon curve, I swear it used to be somewhere in the first few pages of the review. If someone could post in here I'd be eternally grateful--it was a better fit than the Oratory's.

roberetobissanti

I have the same problem, and tried a variety of strategies in loading the drivers. Before it was somewhat challenging, but now using win 11, I can't even get BT to work consistently. I guess no recourse but to seek assistance. It's too bad that such nuisances are present in arguably one of the great bangs for a buck.

If it isn't double blind, likely is double talk.
Hi JSR,
Please could you explain to me how you have resolved this issue. After the wrong firmware update you can connect to my DX3Pro only by BT.
I'm a Mac user, but I tried to connect the DX3Pro via USB throught my Win10 laptop, but the issues persist.

Thanks a lot,
Roberto

Top Bottom