• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Just about to pull the trigger on one of these via Shenzhen/eBay.

However, it's selling for £199 on Amazon.

But on eBay it's only £147 Inc postage, and (according to Shenzhen, see pic below) including tax!

That's more than 25% cheaper (and less than folk sell the non '+' version for second hand on there).

Am I missing something here?

Probably fine, I'm just wondering there's an early L30 recall type scenario I'm not aware of?

Screenshot_20220209-212336_eBay.jpg

eBay: here
Amazon: here

Just about to pull the trigger on one of these via Shenzhen/eBay.

However, it's selling for £199 on Amazon.

But on eBay it's only £147 Inc postage, and (according to Shenzhen, see pic below) including tax!

That's more than 25% cheaper (and less than folk sell the non '+' version for second hand on there).

Am I missing something here?

Probably fine, I'm just wondering there's an early L30 recall type scenario I'm not aware of?

View attachment 185473

eBay: here
Amazon: here

Sounds like you're getting the US price, rather than the British pound surcharge the audio vendors often attach to products. You guys often seem to get overcharged compared to us.

Sounds like you're getting the US price, rather than the British pound surcharge the audio vendors often attach to products. You guys often seem to get overcharged compared to us.
Yeah, it was listed at $199 with the price converted by eBay to £147. Which makes me question Shenzhen's response that the price includes taxes.

If I'm paying an extra £30 in import tax I might as well buy it from Amazon UK for a further £20 and get it delivered this week.

But price aside, I'm assuming there are no L30 type early model issues or anything and I'm fine to order either?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it was listed at $199 with the price converted by eBay to £147. Which makes me question Shenzhen's response that the price includes taxes.

If I'm paying an extra £30 in import tax I might as well buy it from Amazon UK for a further £20 and get it delivered this week.

But price aside, I'm assuming there are no L30 type early model issues or anything and I'm fine to order either?

The L30 was a brand new headphone design from Topping.

The DX3 Pro+ is the evolution of the DX3 Pro, which has gone through several iterations now to improve sound quality performance. I don't think there's any reason to be concerned about it.

in my opinion it does not beat a dac+amp combo, but let's see what you say.

in my opinion it does not beat a dac+amp combo, but let's see what you say.
My wallet dislikes this comment
The L30 was a brand new headphone design from Topping.

The DX3 Pro+ is the evolution of the DX3 Pro, which has gone through several iterations now to improve sound quality performance. I don't think there's any reason to be concerned about it.
I understand the DX3PRO iteration developments. My question was regards to the early L30 models that damaged headphones and needed to be recalled. Said recalled models appear on eBay regularly and are sold as new by unscrupulous trumpets at discounted prices that appear to be too good to be true. As per the 25%+ discount on DX3PRO I mentioned above.

I've ordered one anyway, living dangerously and all that.

My question was regards to the early L30 models that damaged headphones and needed to be recalled. Said recalled models appear on eBay regularly and are sold as new by unscrupulous trumpets at discounted prices that appear to be too good to be true.
Sorry. I thought your question was about the DX3 Pro+ being like that.

Ordered one via Amazon/ShenzhenAudio. May take 6 weeks to arrive. Will report back. Primarily use w/Spotify & Apple music via USB. Replacing or augmenting an SMSL SU-8 + Topping L30; headphones are Oppo PM-3 (primary) and Drop 6XX (secondary).
Yikes, I ordered from Shenzhen Audio on Jan. 30. Sure hope it's not gonna be six weeks. :(

For clarity: UK purchase.

£199 from Amazon
Next day.

Or

£155
approx from Shenzhen Audio
inc delivery & duty, 5-10 days.

Price disparity mentioned above is clearly just UK reseller mark up.

I'm not that familiar with Topping, but I am mightily impressed with the DX3 Pro+.

As a brand, what's reliability like and how responsive are they when things do go wrong?

You ordered right at the beginning of Chinese New Year. So you should expect that it could take up to a month longer than normally ordering from China at other times.
Yeah thats a lesson alot of us had to learn the hard way hehe. Even ordering slightly after the new year might be delayed as there is a huge backlog of orders and packages that needs to be taken care of. Somewhere in Mars it feels safe again :p

Yikes, I ordered from Shenzhen Audio on Jan. 30. Sure hope it's not gonna be six weeks. :(
They do claim that. I ordered the Topping and an SMSL the last week in December and both shipments were received in less than 2 weeks.

Dx3 pro plus has qualcomm qcc5125 chip.
In qualcomm qcc5125 specification there is no ldac support in this chip. So how does it work in dx3?

Hello, I'm having a problem with the dx3pro+, in about two weeks it has happened to me 3 or 4 times, sometimes a noise (click) is heard and crash the screen shows "Err" and stops being heard, I have to disconnect the cable electrical and reconnect

I am using it with HP and High gain, dac, it has happened to me both in usb and bluetooth mode, the volume is high between -15 and -8

Anyone else has happened? is it an expected behavior or could it be defective and should be replaced? I'm a little worried, thanks.

Hello, I'm having a problem with the dx3pro+, in about two weeks it has happened to me 3 or 4 times, sometimes a noise (click) is heard and crash the screen shows "Err" and stops being heard, I have to disconnect the cable electrical and reconnect

I am using it with HP and High gain, dac, it has happened to me both in usb and bluetooth mode, the volume is high between -15 and -8

Anyone else has happened? is it an expected behavior or could it be defective and should be replaced? I'm a little worried, thanks.
It doesn't sound like an expected behavior; I'd recommend contacting customer support. There may be a software/firmware fix you can apply. CC @JohnYang1997

Reactions: hdm

I used to get this occurring when there was an excess of DC offset in the incoming digital signal (I use my DX3Pro+s in a recording studio setting, so DC offsets can happen often)

I stopped it happening by incorporating DC highpass filters in my equalisation setups

Reactions: hdm
Back
Top Bottom