• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 Owners Thread

himey

Thanks for all the support much appreciated. I had no idea that foobar had a matrix mixer plugin, that's super valuable. I use both but foobar is so much slimmer of an app I'd like to go back to leveraging it more.
No media player is perfect so I go between these two and a couple others. Adobe Audition also has channel mapping but it isn't a media player. Also, you can use jRiver audio output in Kodi, and take advantage of the mapping. I use jRiver and Foobar the most.

boxerfan88

I just got my DM7, it’s running well.

Out of curiosity, what ASIO buffer levels do you folks run?

The default 1024 samples, or 2048, or higher?

OP
D

dartinbout

I just got my DM7, it’s running well.

Out of curiosity, what ASIO buffer levels do you folks run?

The default 1024 samples, or 2048, or higher?
I just checked mine and I run at 8192 in safe mode. I regularly run 5.1 in native DSD128, without issue, in J. River. That being said, I have 64G of DDR4 ram in a mid level AMD Ryzan. As for video, nothing I've ever seen is better the the DM7 for movies\tv in surround.

Honestly, in any ASIO I've run this setting has never really affected the performance of whatever DAC I've had.

Others, may have different experiences.

xrqp

Forum Donor
Dartin Bout, thanks for shortening your signature. Some people use a "spoiler" button on this site.

VOLUME CONTROL on the DM7 is not good.
I think the main weakness of the DM7 is the remote control volume control, if you use that volume control, it either changes the volume too slow or too fast. I constantly use its volume control so it matters a lot to me. My Topping preamp has the same problem.

Still, based on what is on the market today, I would buy the DM7 again today. I hope they do a firmware upgrade to somehow give a medium speed.

Last edited:
OP
D

dartinbout

Dartin Bout,
What is the purpose of listing all your equipment on separate lines on every post? So much scrolling and screen space taken.

There is a "spoiler" button some people are using here, to show their equipment list. I am such an a-hole, I don't even like that button creating a distraction from the thread. Seems like the 2 line signatures are less distracting than the button. But if a long list is important, the botton is good.
Would you prefer commas? semi-colons, brackets, or some other kerfufflish, utterly inane, thing to complain about?

xrqp

Forum Donor
I prefer when people only list the equipment that is relevant to the post. But you are right - I am the weirdo.

boxerfan88

Hi fellow owners, I wanted to check if you encounter intermittent click/pops with your DM7?

My scenario:
  • running at my house rate of 176400 ksps
  • three channels (L + R + Sub)
  • playback using foobar2000 over ASIO driver
    • ASIO control panel -> already set to "always on" streaming
  • volume -3dB on the DAC (I use the foobar software volume control)
  • DM7 firmware 1.18
  • topping driver 5.62

The DM7 came with firmware 1.15 and I don't recall hearing click/pop on the first day. My itchy hands decided to update to the latest firmware 1.18.

I noticed the click/pops happens very intermittently.

Today, I downgraded firmware to 1.17 in the hopes it'll go away.

Any pointers on how to diagnose or workaround or fix would be helpful...

Thank you!

OP
D

dartinbout

I've been running the DM7, for a few hours (6-8), daily, since July 22. I had the Okto DAC8pro before. Both produce significant pops upon power cycle. I learned to turn off the SW and the 2 amps 1st, then the DM7. Other then that nothing. Are you running these straight from TRS to XLR? Do you have another XLR dac to test with your amp? If you're running the TRS into RCA connectors, this is considered a "corporal sin" in these pages.

boxerfan88

Got it. Thank you for sharing.

I am using TRS-XLR, fully balanced throughout.

I leave the DM7 on 24x7. Only difference is the PC sleeps from 0100-0600am.

I can only suspect a couple of possibilities:
- running very high sample rate therefore playback is more sensitive to pc load
- sudden network traffic causing dropouts

After dropping the firmware to 1.17, so far so good. Will continue to monitor.

Last edited:
OP
D

dartinbout

Got it. Thank you for sharing.

I am using TRS-XLR, fully balanced throughout.

I leave the DM7 on 24x7. Only difference is the PC sleeps from 0100-0600am.

I can only suspect a couple of possibilities:
- running very high sample rate therefore playback is more sensitive to pc load
- sudden network traffic causing dropouts

After dropping the firmware to 1.17, so far so good. Will continue to monitor.
Please update the status if anything changes. I built a new pc, in January of this year. Prior, I had no playback errors running 32G and a

Intel Core i7-3770S 3.1 GHz. I play up to DSD 128 5.1 without problems on that old build and the DM7.

boxerfan88

Hi fellow owners,

Just to clarify my doubts - the DM7 5Volt mode, is it 5Vrms or 5V peak-to-peak?

charlielaub

RMS

If you are having problems and feel the output level is too low, are you sure that the output level attenuation is turned all the way up to 0 dB?

charlielaub

I've been running the DM7, for a few hours (6-8), daily, since July 22. I had the Okto DAC8pro before. Both produce significant pops upon power cycle. I learned to turn off the SW and the 2 amps 1st, then the DM7. Other then that nothing. Are you running these straight from TRS to XLR? Do you have another XLR dac to test with your amp? If you're running the TRS into RCA connectors, this is considered a "corporal sin" in these pages.
I am using a DM7 and do not get any sort of pops at all, however, while I turn off amps and put the computer to sleep or turn it off, I never turn it off the DM7. You might considering trying that since it doesn't consume much power. Also, when doing a sequenced shutdown with amps turned off first, turn off anything upstream no earlier than 30 seconds later.

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
Question about the 3 "Auto" power modes, signal, trigger and off.
When I select the "auto trigger" setting it works as expected, however "auto signal" is also enabled and each time the computer wakes the DAC comes out of stand-by.
Is there a way to stop this behavior?

Top Bottom