• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

glc650

Yes, I think it does based on Amir's testing of the unit. But, you're right, some of these AVRs, AVPs, and Stereo components convert the analog signal to digital immediately for processing and you can't get around it (e.g. Anthem AVRs, NAD, etc).
Yea, I "think" I was able to do it but like I said no real way to verify and, if I recall correctly, I had to bypass my subs to get there so I ended up going discrete and using a Topping pre-amp so I could bypass my AVR all together when listening to music. This ended up working out great since I ended up adding a tube amp and A/B amp selector so I could select between tube or solid state amp for music (I only use solid state amp for TV). But since I only care about 2.2 channels for music I have more options.

(either through properly designed cables or through very high-quality balanced-to-RCA transformer units)
BTW, which transformer units did you have in mind?

dartinbout

Why does Jriver fail? I run 5.1 DSD256 without issues.
I get
1657922541759.png

For example, When I try and play "L'Arte del Violino (Locatelli Violin Concertos) - Lisa Jacobs, The String Soloists (5.0)". I can't get the J.River (v. 29) to play natively or when I try and run it as DSD128. I've tried what I think is all possible settings to play this natively. I've tried DOP as well. I do bitstream and run Sox. I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong. I am hoping whatever driver Topping is doing with the DM7 will fix this. My DX7 Pro plays the stereo version without issue.

Thanks in advance.

On a very plus note, DHL says I am going to get the DM7 on 7\21. I did not know the number 7 was lucky for this old Irish fool.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I get View attachment 218452

For example, When I try and play "L'Arte del Violino (Locatelli Violin Concertos) - Lisa Jacobs, The String Soloists (5.0)". I can't get the J.River (v. 29) to play natively or when I try and run it as DSD128. I've tried what I think is all possible settings to play this natively. I've tried DOP as well. I do bitstream and run Sox. I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong. I am hoping whatever driver Topping is doing with the DM7 will fix this. My DX7 Pro plays the stereo version without issue.

Thanks in advance.

On a very plus note, DHL says I am going to get the DM7 on 7\21. I did not know the number 7 was lucky for this old Irish fool.
Ah. I did not know that you were using the Okto DAC8 Pro. It is limited, by design, to DSD128 (native) which, in my experience, it plays quite well. Jriver, otoh, can easily handle higher bit-rates with DACs that are capable of it.

da Choge

Forum Donor
BTW, which transformer units did you have in mind?
Everyone talks about Jensens, but RDL makes some nice, more affordable units that [I think] may measure better. It's been a while since I've looked in to them, but they make them in a variety of configurations; both plug-in and wired. Unfortunately, most commercial units are going to degrade the signal somewhat (and some will degrade it a whole lot). Here's a link to a very simple non-powered unit that I Googled just today, the RDL TX-1A, but RDL has powered units, as well, I believe. Ironically, the best measured converters are passive/active preamps, both from Schitt and Topping, but they are only for stereo, and way too expensive for multiple line conversion -- and, who knows how any converter will interact with a signal through the DM7 (I think that Topping has used some very well designed circuits [dare I say "tricks"?] to keep their measured SINADs very low) -- that being said, I own several Topping components.

dartinbout

Ah. I did not know that you were using the Okto DAC8 Pro. It is limited, by design, to DSD128 (native) which, in my experience, it plays quite well. Jriver, otoh, can easily handle higher bit-rates with DACs that are capable of it.
I have to convert the MC DSD256 and above down to DSD128, prior to playback. I would love to have JR to do in "on the fly" rather then keeping both versions, in the hopes that the technology will move my way. Are you using the Exasound to play back MC above DSD128? I'm still in a state of amazement that Topping is doing an 8 channel DSD128 DAC. As so many people have complained here, the industry does not seem interested in MC and your QBUX, TITAL or Sportsify barely do anything beyond mono. HDMI is just some sort of wacky DRM tech and nobody bought SACD or DVDA beyond a few audiojunkies, like me. I've got 125 MC physical discs that do little beyond occupy a book shelf.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have to convert the MC DSD256 and above down to DSD128, prior to playback. I would love to have JR to do in "on the fly" rather then keeping both versions, in the hopes that the technology will move my way.
I can do that on-the-fly for the Okto but it is not recommended because Jriver is supposed to interpose an intervening PCM stage in all DSD-to-DSD conversions. Thus, I convert >DSD128 to PCM for the Okto. The Okto has technical limitations but I do not regard them as significant and it has significant uncommon advantages.
Are you using the Exasound to play back MC above DSD128?
Yes.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
HDMI is just some sort of wacky DRM tech and nobody bought SACD or DVDA beyond a few audiojunkies, like me. I've got 125 MC physical discs that do little beyond occupy a book shelf.
HDMI is simply a data connection. DRM is not linked to HDMI specifically. You can add DRM to data transferred over HDMI but then again both SACD and DVD-A have DRM.

Confused_by_tech

Forum Donor
Can someone briefly walk me thru how this product could be used to facilitate DSP and an active cross over with, as an example, two three way speakers for stereo configuration? I've seen apps like Audioweaver which is featured in the Danville Signal dspNexus (which they estimate may be out in Sept at last inquiry) but have no first hand knowledge how a product like this would be used. Would it logically require a PC/Mac for DSP/Eq and active cross over configuration? As in Internet source / Digital source > PC for DSP, Eq and active X over > DM7 > amplifiers > speakers? I understand the Danville Signal dspNexus unit superficially as advertised and am unsure how the DM7 would be best implemented for stereo in the configuration described. There are products on the market which address active cross over and real time analysis with ADC/DAC like the dbx Venu360 but I am uncertain how to accomplish it with this product. Sorry for the inarticulate post (I am not technical).

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, one fundamental important reminder/alert on TRS plug in DM7, for all of us especially for some naive users, as @Kal has already clearly pointed;
1. If the naive user employs a mono TS plug, it will short the output.
Topping needs to have enough reminder/alert in their web site and also on the User Manual;
WS003916.JPG

I assume this would be one of the major cons of 1/4 TRS balanced out, instead of male XLR balanced out, especially in non-professional consumer market.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: MAB

dartinbout

HDMI is simply a data connection. DRM is not linked to HDMI specifically. You can add DRM to data transferred over HDMI but then again both SACD and DVD-A have DRM.
I could sacd and dvda via rca
I can do that on-the-fly for the Okto but it is not recommended because Jriver is supposed to interpose an intervening PCM stage in all DSD-to-DSD conversions. Thus, I convert >DSD128 to PCM for the Okto. The Okto has technical limitations but I do not regard them as significant and it has significant uncommon advantages.

Yes.
I've had some difficulty recently with handling the upper limits of DSD and have settled on converting some to wavpack. 6 days until DHL is supposed to deliver the the DM7. I promise to not do an A\B objective comparison between it and running MC on the Okto because , although I may be crazy, I am not an untethered hot air balloon.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I've had some difficulty recently with handling the upper limits of DSD and have settled on converting some to wavpack.
That should only increase processing issues in an attempt to save storage space.

Reactions: MWC

dartinbout

That should only increase processing issues in an attempt to save storage space.
This was a different issue then J.River difficulty. The extraction from an ISO went t_ts up for a few albums from a wonky source. The extraction produced 768 hz wv files rather the DSD128. No big deal.

Has any of the other busy bodies on this thread got their DM7 yet? Please light up this chain letter with any info you want to share. Objective, subjective impressions or even how many pinned angels starting dancing to that fine, fine MC music, when you fired it up, would be welcome.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After having my above post #529, I noticed another highly possible confusions and misunderstandings for TRS-to-RCA cable pin assignment issue relating to Topping's pin numbering of the TRS plug found in the DM7 web site and in DM7 User Manual;
WS003920.JPG

Topping says the ground pin at TRS as No.3, but it should be connected to No.1 pin of XLR connector.

Topping says the plus(+) pin at TRS as No.1, but it should be connected to No.2 pin of XLR connector.

Topping says the minus(-) pin at TRS as No.2, but it should be connected to No.3 pin of XLR connector.

In case if we would use recommended ready-made TRS-to-XLR(male) cables for amplifier's or pre-amplifier's XLR balanced input, these should not be a problem at all, I assume, since all of the available cables are configured/connected exactly as shown in the above diagram.

In case if a naive user would like to DIY prepare his or her own TRS-to-RCA adaptor cable, however, based on the misunderstandings of "Topping's pin number assignments are identical to the standard XLR pin numbering", then much confusions and trouble should happen.

We intensively discussed in post #438 and thereafter that for TRS-to-RCA conversion, "not the best but acceptable safe way would be pin No.3 floating/non-connected as Pavel of OCTO suggesting/recommending even though we lose 6 dB gain." where pin No.3 minus(-) signal means "pin No.3 in standard XLR connector configuration" which is actually pin No.2 by Topping's numbering at TRS plug!

The ground outer shield of RCA connector (always assigned to pin No.1 in standard XLR configuration) should be connected to TRS's ground (GND) which Topping says pin No.3 at TRS.

Consequently, even if we would use ready-made TRS-to-RCA adaptor or cable for DM7 with minus(-) line floating/non-connected, or if we would do DIY preparation of TRS-to-RCA adaptor cables with minus(-) line floating/non-connected, we really need to carefully confirm the connections by a tester; RCA outer ground shield should be connected to TRS's GND (Topping says No.3) and the RCA core plus (+) pin should be connected to the top part of TRS (Topping says pin No.1). Furthermore, TRS's minus(-) pin (Topping says No.2) should be floating, should not be connected to RCA's outer shield, should not be connected to RCA's core pin.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I could sacd and dvda via rca
DRM is digital protection, see that letter "D" there? Similar to your example you can get the analogue audio from your TV's HP out.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In case if we would use recommended ready-made TRS-to-XLR(male) cables for amplifier's or pre-amplifier's XLR balanced input, these should not be a problem at all, I assume, since all of the available cables are configured/connected exactly as shown in the above diagram.
In other words use the correct cable and there is no problem.

In case if a naive user would like to DIY prepare his or her own TRS-to-RCA adaptor cable, however, based on the misunderstandings of "Topping's pin number assignments are identical to the standard XLR pin numbering", then much confusions and trouble should happen.
Don't attempt DIY if you don't know what you are doing.

This is applicable to every audio cabling issue and hence it is not a DM7 issue.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
This was a different issue then J.River difficulty.
And, again, I have no problem with WavPack and Jriver.
The extraction from an ISO went t_ts up for a few albums from a wonky source. The extraction produced 768 hz wv files rather the DSD128. No big deal.
Faulty ISO or faulty extraction. Try free downloads from 2l for testing.

Top Bottom