• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
No A50s/D50s stack ?
Screenshot_20210628-105314.jpg

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Just got my D90SE. Running it in DAC mode to SMSL DA-9 via XLR.

I hope you aren't hoping for flowery words, but I can say that my system sounds exceptionally clear and noise-free. In terms of usability, I just plugged it into my iMac and it works. The interface is easy, and it was a breeze to set up. I was using a Hidisz S9 previously and if I was forced to identify a difference, I'd say my bass is stronger now--like someone upped the gain on my subwoofer. I am thinking maybe there was an impedance mismatch in my prior set up, but that's an issue for another post.

At any rate, every good sounding recording I've played so far sounds wonderful. And the crappy ones sound crappy. I am getting the truth, and that's the goal of this system.

ea666

Just got my D90SE. Running it in DAC mode to SMSL DA-9 via XLR.

I hope you aren't hoping for flowery words, but I can say that my system sounds exceptionally clear and noise-free. In terms of usability, I just plugged it into my iMac and it works. The interface is easy, and it was a breeze to set up. I was using a Hidisz S9 previously and if I was forced to identify a difference, I'd say my bass is stronger now--like someone upped the gain on my subwoofer. I am thinking maybe there was an impedance mismatch in my prior set up, but that's an issue for another post.

At any rate, every good sounding recording I've played so far sounds wonderful. And the crappy ones sound crappy. I am getting the truth, and that's the goal of this system.

I got mine delivered today, however I’m not 100% sold on it right now. I’ve left it running in to see how I feel later

nhs

I got mine delivered today, however I’m not 100% sold on it right now. I’ve left it running in to see how I feel later
Is your D90SE running in DAC or Preamp mode?
I really like to see how does it perform in Preamp mode?

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
ea666, please let me know what you're hearing that's displeasing you. Will be interested to see if I can hear it in my set up.

ea666

ea666, please let me know what you're hearing that's displeasing you. Will be interested to see if I can hear it in my set up.
I have both my Gustard X16 and the D90SE side by side and the X16 has a more open, spatial presentation. Also the bass on the d90se isn’t as tight. So I’m going back and forth with music that i know and I’m leaning towards the X16. I appreciate everyone hearing is different.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I have both my Gustard X16 and the D90SE side by side and the X16 has a more open, spatial presentation. Also the bass on the d90se isn’t as tight. So I’m going back and forth with music that i know and I’m leaning towards the X16. I appreciate everyone hearing is different.
I wonder about the voltage output of d90se as compared to x16, when being fed same signals.

I know that E30 is about 0.5db louder than my X16, when both being fed same signals. Thus, for fair comparison, I needed to turn down E30 by 0.5db.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I wonder about the voltage output of d90se as compared to x16, when being fed same signals.

I know that E30 is about 0.5db louder than my X16, when both being fed same signals. Thus, for fair comparison, I needed to turn down E30 by 0.5db.
Single-ended output:

Topping D90SE - 2.090 Vrms
Gustard X16 - 2.104 Vrms
Topping E30 - 2.145 Vrms

For the best comparison, use a multimeter with a 1 KHz tone and calibrate the output voltages to be the same.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Single-ended output:

Topping D90SE - 2.090 Vrms
Gustard X16 - 2.104 Vrms
Topping E30 - 2.145 Vrms

For the best comparison, use a multimeter with a 1 KHz tone and calibrate the output voltages to be the same.
@ea666 , there you go. You need to match voltages to do proper comparison. The D90se is not as loud as x16, when being fed same signals.

Cut-Throat

I have owned the Topping D90 for over a year, and while a very good DAC... I just bought a Gustard X26 Pro (twice the price of a D90) and I also had it alongside my D90 (to A/B test it from the same source) and it was a much better sounding DAC.... DAC differences are pretty small, but myself and a couple audiophile friends had no problems discerning that the X26 Pro was a much better sounding DAC. The D90 will now go to an auxiliary system in my house, as the Gustard x26 Pro is now my 'Main' DAC.

ea666

I have owned the Topping D90 for over a year, and while a very good DAC... I just bought a Gustard X26 Pro (twice the price of a D90) and I also had it alongside my D90 (to A/B test it from the same source) and it was a much better sounding DAC.... DAC differences are pretty small, but myself and a couple audiophile friends had no problems discerning that the X26 Pro was a much better sounding DAC. The D90 will now go to an auxiliary system in my house, as the Gustard x26 Pro is now my 'Main' DAC.
I’m thinking of getting the X26 Pro…. Will see when I have some spare coins laying around

ArturoKiwi

I think that Topping made a new reference dac as for mesurments, but I don't understand why so many people are buying it.
If we consider just human earing capacity, the D30 pro or the D70s have the same features and input/outputs for half the price or 2/3 of the price.
Am I wrong or this is the philosophy of AudioScienceReview?

ea666

Put mine on ebay if anyone from the UK fancies one in black

Top Bottom