• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING D90 III、TOPPING D50 III

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I was disappointed to see that PEQ only works on USB input, which is IMHO the least useful one as you could e.g. run EAPO on the source PC instead.
View attachment 355866
(Comment at the bottom)
Yea that is a shame but I think that it's still a step in the right direction, especially to have it on device. I personally don't use SPDIF with my DAC unless its for a 2nd source. Although I can see how people with speaker setups would want this for sure.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yea that is a shame but I think that it's still a step in the right direction, especially to have it on device. I personally don't use SPDIF with my DAC unless its for a 2nd source. Although I can see how people with speaker setups would want this for sure.
Indeed, however given that PEQ only works for USB input I wonder if the processing might actually be implemented within the driver SW on the PC side, rather than on the DSP chip in the device itself...?
No issue with that in principle and will surely still be useful to many people - it's just that I was hoping things were moving in a slightly different direction. :)

MCH

Major Contributor
Not that they aren't aware. When asked about implementing EQ in their DACs, johnyang said, quite rightly, that at the end of the day most people use them via usb input and if they want EQ they can do it at the source.
Maybe they don't want to obsolete all their other products in one go and they start with this + all inputs EQ in the higher models only... will see. If wiim starts biting too much maybe they feel the need to hurry up.

Sokel

Master Contributor
It would also be useful to see them measured with couple of filter down low engaged (as that's its main use case)
That would show the quality of the device but also the quality of the filters.

OP

192kbps

Indeed, however given that PEQ only works for USB input I wonder if the processing might actually be implemented within the driver SW on the PC side, rather than on the DSP chip in the device itself...?
No issue with that in principle and will surely still be useful to many people - it's just that I was hoping things were moving in a slightly different direction. :)
D503 only supports USB.
D903D supports USB、S/PDIF、Except I²S.
All settings are operated in software and stored onboard in the chip.
I²S can technically be implemented, but they felt it was too cumbersome and not many people used it, so they gave up on development.

Pouyoux

I was disappointed to see that PEQ only works on USB input, which is IMHO the least useful one as you could e.g. run EAPO on the source PC instead.
I understand your disappointment but USB is not only used for PC connection, I have a DAC connected to my Android box (Nvidia shield) using USB without PEQ software available so having a PEQ included for a regular DAC price is great news in this use case.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I understand your disappointment but USB is not only used for PC connection, I have a DAC connected to my Android box (Nvidia shield) using USB without PEQ software available so having a PEQ included for a regular DAC price is great news in this use case.
We still have to connect it to a PC to setup and store the filters in it,don't we?

The real deal would be through it's own interface,but...

ArturoKiwi

D503 only supports USB.
D903D supports USB、S/PDIF、Except I²S.
All settings are operated in software and stored onboard in the chip.
I²S can technically be implemented, but they felt it was too cumbersome and not many people used it, so they gave up on development.
Hi, on D90 III Sabre I can't find that it has PEQ and in the 1.2 firmware update it isn't mention in the change log.
Where I could find these informations?

Atanasi

Forum Donor
We still have to connect it to a PC to setup and store the filters in it,don't we?

The data sheet says "desktop software", but the platforms are not specified. It probably means Windows, maybe also macOS, but I wouldn't count on it.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I just tried to download the D50 III user manual, which should clear up how the PEQ is implemented, but nothing is available on either the toppingaudio or tpdz sites.

If it's merely in the driver, then it offers me little advantage over implementing PEQ in Foobar via a plug-in or convolver.

DLS79

Forum Donor
Apos has pages up for the D50 III and A50 III.

They still have bad information on the D50 III claiming it's XLR, and no details on the PEQ.

The A50 III has some new features.

Low gain: -12dB
Medium gain: 0dB
High gain: 11.7dB

no rca or trs outs so it's purely a headphone amp now.

Topping really needs to up it's marketing and manual game. They do a fine job at explaining the physical hardware and measurements, but they are severally lacking when it comes to laying out the software/firmware features and how they work.

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
Yes. the should for instance add it to be user selectable how fast the screen turns off after the display has shown information. I feel 30 seconds is too long.

Jarrett

Was D50s the second D50 model? Anyway, would love to see a comparison graphic drawn up as Topping has done before. I know the D50 is pretty old.

Pouyoux

you can always want more or other things but for me by adding a PEQ Topping has listened customers who were asking for a DAC with an integrated PEQ for a long time. Furthermore we don't have to break the bank to get it :)

At the moment it's on paper and we'll have to see how it's working irl

Sokel

Master Contributor
you can always want more or other things but for me by adding a PEQ Topping has listened customers who were asking for a DAC with an integrated PEQ for a long time. Furthermore we don't have to break the bank to get it :)

At the moment it's on paper and we'll have to see how it's working irl
It's not what I want,it's what I have come to understand what most people who don't want to use a PC want.
Otherwise EAPO or similar are like nuclear weapons compare to stones to such solutions.

Ok,baby steps,I can understand that,and it's nice that one can set and forget (I guess)

(and I hope it's rock-solid,filters involve levels,a default at 0db can cause mayhem)

Top Bottom