• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@dOSs - Congratulations on your new D90, it's a great DAC to drive downstream amps - headphone, integrated, direct power ed speakers, or passive speakers with an AMP driven by the D90.

The D90 even has a convenient remote control. AFAIK there is no "safe" volume except by turning down the volume control to Zero each time before you power off - that's what I do when hooked up to powerful amplifiers - or when moving from insensitive headphones to sensitive headphones. There is no other best safe setting than L Gain and Zero Volume setting on the dial, just in case.

You've already got the right idea - keep safe settings to avoid power on surprises.

I use the D90 in Pre mode even though I directly connect it to the A90 which can take the full drive of the XLR output. Using Pre mode and setting the volume output to -15dB gives me more volume dial range on the A90 and let's me use M Gain along with L Gain, or H Gain as well as M Gain depending on the sensitivity of the headphone / IEM. I find no degradation in the audio by doing this, and it is much more flexible than the fixed full output of the D90 in DAC mode.

Please let us know how you like the D90 and if you have any other questions, and Welcome to ASR! :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23424

@hmscott Thanks for the info.

I've owned the D90 (MQA) since its release but it has been used solely in DAC mode into a Naim Nait until this weekend. Absolutely no complaints.

I was undecided between a D90 and a Denafrips Ares II initially, curious to hear what difference a ladder dac would bring. Sold the Ares after a month. D90 won, no contest (in my setup).

UCrazyKid

Fair enough. I thought I'd read that the D90 didn't perform as well in PRE mode. Either way, thanks, I was panic hovering over the buy button on a pre.

I'm at work at the moment so can't check, is there a safe volume setting in the D90's menu? My other half doesn't pay much attention when turning things on.
The only issue with the D90 as a pre-amp is that it uses a volume control in the digital realm. Others also complain that it is TOO responsive and volume goes up and down too fast. Analog volume attenuation is preferred, generally, but a well executed digital volume control can be quite good. To it's advantage the D90 operates in a 32-bit environment, so most of the volume control is throwing out empty bits and does not reduce sound quality at low volumes.
I would think that it is fine to use the pre of the D90 initially and move to an analog pre/volume control in the future. Since you have taken out the rapidly changing "technology" of a DAC from the preamp, you can find a LOT of older excellent preamps on the pre-owned market that can save you a lot of money.
Most importantly, enjoy the music!

D

Deleted member 23424

Others also complain that it is TOO responsive and volume goes up and down too fast. Analog volume attenuation is preferred
The more I think about it the less I like the idea of the D90 as a pre. Its got hungover TV audio disaster written all over it.

Does anyone know if RME Adi2 dac has safer volume control?

With my sensible head on I think its a case of using a different dac (but I like the D90) with more foolproof volume controls, or, biting the bullet and adding the Pre90.

EDIT: meantime I'll hide the remote

hmscott

The more I think about it the less I like the idea of the D90 as a pre. Its got hungover TV audio disaster written all over it.

With my sensible head on I think its a case of using a different dac (but I like the D90) with more foolproof volume controls, or, biting the bullet and adding the Pre90.

It's an acquired skill, just like any other - with the D90 Remote being a real "sober" challenge :)

I use the A90 Volume control downstream and set the output of the D90 to a "fixed" reduction most of the time, -3dB, -6dB, -9dB, -12dB, -15dB, all gradually testing to listen for audible quality reduction, and then after all that I now leave the output fixed at -15dB, except for my 600 ohm headphones - then it's all electron's on deck with no attenuation - 0.0dB - push maximum output to the A90.

So, I guess I am also suggesting to get a downstream Pre-amp too, the Pre90 seems nice - but isn't set up like the A90 to drive headphones.

And, @UCrazyKid has a point - there are lots of nice sounding SS and Tube and Hybrid Pre-amps out there, with the D90 as source you are setup to choose from a large pool of choices. You can also use Pre on D90 to reduce the output to a fixed reduction limit (like -15dB) for AMP's that can't accept the full XLR/RCA output of the D90 and would be driven to distortion with the full D90 output.

I'm actually expanding my headphone amps with an XDuoo TA-20 Hybrid Balanced headphone amp - either driven by the A90 output or directly from the D90 replacing the A90 - maybe an XLR switch? And, I'm planning on Tube rolling not just 12AU7 matched pairs, but 12AT7 and 12AX7 for more power output.

I'll see how that goes for driving the 600 ohm headphones. The A90 at the edge of it's capabilities drives the 600 ohm headphones, but perhaps driving 600 ohm headphones might not be the A90's best showing.

Be careful, I've had a couple of "ear-shattering" moments with the D90 volume control before I got the knack for controlling it. Sometimes I surprise myself and hit -15dB the first time a few times in a row, but that's not typical :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23424

@hmscott This is a loudspeaker only rig. The headphone scene is upstairs (I don't think the cable will reach all the way down the stairs).

My Mrs has no interest in hifi so I need something she can just use without complication. I guess I'll see how 'safe' I can get things with the NAD's gain control and decide from there.

pLudio

Forum Donor
My Mrs has no interest in hifi so I need something she can just use without complication. I guess I'll see how 'safe' I can get things with the NAD's gain control and decide from there.
Set the D90 at the max safe volume, hide the remote, and let her use a pre-amp.

D

Deleted member 23424

@pLudio We've just gone full circle.

I'll guard all volume controls until after Christmas. Then add a pre/swap dac.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can run my D90 at -9db and even louder up to 0db straight into my power amps.
It gets loud, no doubt, but it's not ear blowing or even hurting my speakers.

There are 2 factors:
The power of your amps and more important, the sensitivity of your speakers.

You could even use an attenuator at the back of your Dac that will mute by 10, 15 db or so and then your volume will be limited.
That will save you £ 500-5.

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg02971/attenuator-adaptor-10db-xlr/dp/AV17577?st=10db attenuators

UCrazyKid

Here, then just buy an analog volume control (line stage passive preamp) and be done with it. I bought one of these for my office where I run an old MSB DAC right into 2 monoblocks with this between them.
Alps volume controller

hmscott

Here, then just buy an analog volume control (line stage passive preamp) and be done with it. I bought one of these for my office where I run an old MSB DAC right into 2 monoblocks with this between them.
Alps volume controller
That's a great idea, and Nobsound makes a Balanced XLR version too :)

Nobsound Mini Fully-Balanced/Single-Ended Passive Preamp; Hi-Fi Pre-Amplifier; XLR/RCA Volume Controller for Active Monitor Speakers (Black)
https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Fully-Balanced-Single-Ended-Pre-Amplifier-Controller/dp/B01MXC9HHW

Errr, or maybe not...

BUYERS BEWARE, FRADULENT PRODUCT!
By Mr. Blue Sky on Sep 26, 2019
it states in its description it uses the high quality ALPS 27 potentiometer (blue one) , and actually one of the reasons why I decided to order it, and why it is more expensive, however upon receive my product, I noticed its volume control does not feels like an alps 27 at all, so I decided to check it, and yes my unit comes with the much cheaper ALPS 09 (green one). Completely ripoff!
Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 3.03.25 PM.png

Other than that, it's got good user reviews... YMMV I guess :)

Here's a less expensive option, same features, and looks like a "blue" pot:

Nobsound Little Bear MC2 Mini Fully-Balanced/Single-Ended Passive Preamp; Hi-Fi Pre-Amplifier; XLR/RCA Volume Controller for Active Monitor Speakers (Black)
https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Fully-balanced-Single-ended-Pre-amplifier-Controller/dp/B07255VHZS
Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 3.12.25 PM.png

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Alps volume controller
I prefer my D90 "pure" set as a pre feeding my Genelec 8030C's... I had it in DAC mode with the Freya in passive mode for a while and then switched to pre and removed the Freya and there was a subjective improvement in clarity. I guess resistors, switches, PCB traces, connectors and extra cables do color the sound even when they really shouldn't...

Last edited:

jannesj

There have been reports of THX 887 (and other AMPS) being overdriven by the D90, so yes put the D90 in Pre mode and try -9.0dB or -12.0dB first to see if that stops the "crackling".

Remove the RCA connections and only use XLR. That's been my problem with the D90 MQA + A90, the noise is coming in through the PC USB cable. If I remove the USB cable from the D90 the crackling goes away. For me that crackling happens even during idle non-playback and is heard through the A90 output to my headphones.

For me I still get a high pitched tone out the A90 in H Gain 0% volume and up with the USB removed and XLR + RCA connected between the A90 and D90 MQA.

With XLR only there is no noise at all even in H Gain 100%. Right now I am running with XLR only, with the RCA connections disconnected and I have no noise in any Gain setting all the way to 100% volume.

I still run the D90 in PRE mode to support more sensitive IEM's as even in L Gain the A90 volume control range is at the bottom of the dial without much headroom to control the volume. Setting the D90 MQA in PRE mode at -12dB covers most of the IEM's but I've played with setting the D90 MQA in PRE mode at -30dB and used M Gain to see if there is a difference, and to my ears there is, still working on finding the best settings for those IEM's.

I have an RCA 1.5m cable to go to powered speakers but I haven't ordered them yet, I may only be able to use XLR to them too so I've been waiting on ordering them to work out the RCA noise issues first.

Registered here to say thanks for the advice on setting D90 to Pre mode and -12dB. I have had D90 for quite a while now and only started noticing the faint crackling noises on my ATH-ADX5000 cans after getting a new headphone amp (AT-BHA100). I also have Denafrips Ares 2 and when driving the amp through that didn't have issues, but did notice with D90 and that led me here. My old amp was the THX 789 and with that I did not have this issue.

So anyone pairing the D90 with AT-BHA100 via XLR -> Setting it to Pre mode and volume to -12dB could be solution for you, worked for me!

//Janne

hmscott

Registered here to say thanks for the advice on setting D90 to Pre mode and -12dB. I have had D90 for quite a while now and only started noticing the faint crackling noises on my ATH-ADX5000 cans after getting a new headphone amp (AT-BHA100). I also have Denafrips Ares 2 and when driving the amp through that didn't have issues, but did notice with D90 and that led me here. My old amp was the THX 789 and with that I did not have this issue.

So anyone pairing the D90 with AT-BHA100 via XLR -> Setting it to Pre mode and volume to -12dB could be solution for you, worked for me!

//Janne
Thanks Janne for posting your findings. As I said in that old post that I am still experimenting with where to set the D90 Pre setting, and now I've settled on -15dB to the A90, and that lets me use the A90 volume control with more dial range and I can try L Gain / M Gain with some sensitive headphones / IEM's and M Gain / H Gain with some harder to drive headphones.

With 600 ohm - even 300 ohm headphones - I set 0.0dB Pre on the D90 and H Gain at 12 oclock and all the way to 100% at times with the Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm. The Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm is a bit more sensitive and can back off from 100%.

I've ordered a TA-20 balanced Tube AMP that is supposed to drive 600 ohm headphones - Beyerdynamic especially - with more authority:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-high-impedance-headphones.18460/post-604503

The D90 MQA / A90 are a great pairing for most headphones, and I am looking forward to the Xduoo TA-20 Tube Hybrid Headphone AMP now too.

Thanks again for posting your feedback on your D90 setup, and I am happy you found your sweet spot for settings that work for you :)

Znerken

I had an Acrylic shelf made. And atop the shelf is an Allo Digione (Which is a Raspberry Pi with a Digitial Output Board) - A Network Music Streamer. It is my only Audio Source. Any Radio Station in the world as well as Spotify and Qobuz and my 5,500 Album Music Library.
Which cable do you use between the D90 and allo digione? I only have a RCA cable of high quality, but can't seem to find an input for that on the D90? Should I get a coax cable?

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Which cable do you use between the D90 and allo digione? I only have a RCA cable of high quality, but can't seem to find an input for that on the D90? Should I get a coax cable?

An RCA input on the D90 would be an analog input. De D90 is a digital to analog converter Why should the D90 (or any DAC for that matter) have an analog input?

Top Bottom