• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Gavin

No one here discusses what's the problem with MQA D90 on windows, so you may be in the wrong place. . .
And, racism? who care! even no time to enjoy or produce music.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
No one here discusses what's the problem with MQA D90 on windows, so you may be in the wrong place. . .
And, racism? who care! even no time to enjoy or produce music.

This thread is about Topping D90 in general. So nobody is in the wrong place to discuss the MQA D90 here on Windows. This whole thread is not only about a specific MQA problem on a Mac.
And I also DO care about racism (sometimes even while enjoying or producing music).

Gavin

This thread is about Topping D90 in general. So nobody is in the wrong place to discuss the MQA D90 here on Windows. This whole thread is not only about a specific MQA problem on a Mac.
And I also DO care about racism (sometimes even while enjoying or producing music).

But here nobody care whether you care about racism or not, because nobody is talking about racism.
And, here or somewhere are some people who are fans of German engineering, and some others who like Made in Japan. This is everyone's freedom, it does not matter what racism you mentioned.

incursore61

Have you set tidal app on mac to skip software decoding (ie letting the DAC do it all), and exclusive mode? If so then the DAC is working as it should and you just haven't found a 192 tidal mqa track yet

(I'm assuming mac app is same as pc in this regard, not sure of mac equivalent of exclusive mode)

Thanks jimbo 54. it's exactly like you said. The settings on Tidal have been made correctly and some tracks reach 96 khz in a pair that I found 192 correctly indicated on the Topping D90 MQA.
Instead, my hiby R6 performs oversampling up to 384 on its own.
Hi

incursore61

I already placed an order at B & H for an RME yesterday before I received the reply from Topping. Now it seems a wise decision.
Companies from China and their products have a common feature, that is, they are good at and brave to try new things, such as new technologies, new chips, new algorithms, and so on. Chinese companies often lack long-term development history and long-term accumulation of technology, and their products often lack essential reliability and stability. Therefore, products from them like Topping I recommend be used as a backup set up. It is not recommended for your main goal. Although I paid an extra $400 on RME, I think the quality value of German manufacturing worth it.

Hi Gavin I am also an Apple user, I have always been, for better or for worse but I am not a fanboy. I am also using it with my 27 "iMac Retina connected with a Van den Hul usb cable, and I have no problems, especially your problem. What type of mac are you using and how did you connect it to Topping?

Rigel

I think that it is not convenient to generalize in many aspects of life or extreme positions. Also about what is being discussed.

In greater or lesser proportion, there is good and bad engineering in all countries. As with good and bad ethical practices in all countries, historically it has been so and will continue to be so for many years.

Unfortunately, it is inherent in the human being and does not understand nationalities.

Unfortunatelly, China will has a lot of problems because of that horrible virus. Anyway, why Topping did not use in the output stage a more hefty op-amps or a hybrid stage more powerful ?

PPP

Unfortunatelly, China will has a lot of problems because of that horrible virus. Anyway, why Topping did not use in the output stage a more hefty op-amps or a hybrid stage more powerful ?
Because they don't know how to design audio products properly. They learnt something from their DX3Pro V1's horrible design --- "umm... we don't know how to design a good product, so let's set the bar lower."

Last edited:

pacman

Because they don't know how to design audio products properly. They learnt something from their DX3Pro V1's horrible design --- "umm... we don't know how to design a good product, so let's set the bar lower."
Who are paying you for bashing Topping in this ridiculous way?

PPP

Who are paying you for bashing Topping in this ridiculous way?
I don't agree with you. I'm not bashing in ridiculous way. I'm just telling the truth. They did mess up in DX3Pro V1 HP amp design, and they did lower the bar by releasing the V2, and the DX7 Pro you are using. The latter two have much lower bar for HP amp design with higher output impedance.

If you keep harassing me for my intention/background I'll call for moderation. Again, I'm just an unhappy user. No one pays me.

Last edited:

AndyLu

Forum Donor
I don't agree with you. I'm not bashing in ridiculous way. I'm just telling the truth. They did mess up in DX3Pro V1 HP amp design, and they did lower the bar by releasing the V2, and the DX7 Pro you are using. The latter two have much lower bar for HP amp design with much higher output impedance.

If you keep harassing me for my intention/background I'll call for moderation.
I will call for moderation if you keep posting in this thread prejudiced and off topic. Did you not read the mod 4 posts ago? Enough is enough already.

pacman

I don't agree with you. I'm not bashing in ridiculous way. I'm just telling the truth. They did mess up in DX3Pro V1 HP amp design, and they did lower the bar by releasing the V2, and the DX7 Pro you are using. The latter two have much lower bar for HP amp design with higher output impedance.

If you keep harassing me for my intention/background I'll call for moderation. Again, I'm just an unhappy user. No one pays me. And I'm criticizing not only Topping, but most Chinese craps here (such as SMSL, in another thread).
To stay on topic, what's the problem with D90?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
If you keep harassing me for my intention/background I'll call for moderation. Again, I'm just an unhappy user. No one pays me. And I'm criticizing not only Topping, but most Chinese craps here (such as SMSL, in another thread).
This is unacceptable, it's prejudiced and your on a official warning as you have repeatedly been prejudiced in this way in posts now deleted .

PPP

This is unacceptable, it's prejudiced and your on a official warning as you have repeatedly been prejudiced in this way in posts now deleted .
Sorry, I now know what the boundary is. I deleted that sentence. Thank you for pointing it out. From now on I'll post with your advice in mind.

Last edited:

PPP

To stay on topic, what's the problem with D90?
I expressed in earlier posts 1) selling hypes such as linear power supply. This produces more heat and causes global warming. That's why the several pages long flame started 2) jitter looks bad considering the high price. If they are selling a pure DAC (no HP amps, no DSP features, etc.) for a premium ($700) they should have made everything right. People in this forum know that DACs > $100 has no audible difference if designed properly, so people buy premiums expect picture perfect results for all tests. Those two are my personal opinions based on facts posted by amirm and other forum members. I don't expect you agree with me. Let's not persuade each other.

I've not tried the unit so I don't know how durable it is. for the same reason I also don't know if Topping reports tariffs of D90 honestly. My other comments were all based on my past poor Topping customer experiences. Their products were not durable, and they didn't report to customs honestly in my past 2 purchases from their official aliexpress store.

you accused me of being paid to bash Topping, but I were merely replying 777's comments, very technically, based on facts --- what I talked about could be found in official specs of these three products, the problems and user complaints of their prior models could be found on this forum easily. You were the one making it off-topic and launching personal attacks. Please stop, or I'll ask for moderation.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
2) jitter looks bad considering the high price
Are you seriously calling well suppressed, well below inaudible jitter 'bad' ? See orange line.
Get real.

nFoHJaO.png

PPP

Are you seriously calling well suppressed, well below inaudible jitter 'bad' ? See orange line.
Get real.

I think I expressed pretty clearly in the previous comment. Yes, they are inaudible, But any well designed $100-ish DACs' noise is inaudible as well.
This is a premium product that costs $700, so every detail should be perfect, not just "good enough" or "well suppressed".
A $700 DAC should survive all kinds of nitpicking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom