• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

AndyLu

Forum Donor
I am just debunking some marketing hypes. Not intended to answer him or argue with you.

There are plenty of evidence on this site already that linear power supply would not improve sound quality compared to other power sources.

There are audio equipments that use little power and measure great(some of the top performing ones rely on USB power only). I am just expressing my opinion that customers can choose more wisely. Think about environment friendliness and durability (that means no Chinese products such as Topping). That’s just my 2 cents. You don’t need to agree with me.

You could have fooled me, because nobody was claiming that a linear power supply improves sound quality and yet you responded with that to my remarks.
Also you make these statements in a thread in which is established that the Topping D90 is in the top of best measuring DACS on this site.
So excuse me if I your remarks feel completely out of context.
But simply let's agree to disagree ;)

PPP

Also you make these statements in a thread in which is established that the Topping D90 is in the top of best measuring DACS on this site.

look at their jitter performance. This is by no means top measuring dacs. Products with low end chips does much better.

That's not my main point at all. My main argument is, Topping is known to have product quality problems. Quite a lot of people complained in DX7 Pro thread about volume knobs and DX3 Pro thread about dead machine after a month. So their "Pro" products are full of durability issues.

As a result, people have to throw away those junks and need to buy new craps all the time. This also cause global environment problems. Better to avoid it. Instead, buy something durable and environment friendly.

Again you don't need to agree with me, and I don't intent to fight with you. I'm just promoting my own philosophy that people should not buy poorly manufactured products, especially from Topping.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
look at their jitter performance. This is by no means top measuring dacs. Products with low end chips does much better.

That's not my main point at all. My main argument is, Topping is known to have product quality problems. Quite a lot of people complained in DX7 Pro thread about volume knobs and DX3 Pro thread about dead machine after a month. So their "Pro" products are full of durability issues.

As a result, people have to throw away those junks and need to buy new craps all the time. This also cause global environment problems. Better to avoid it. Instead, buy something durable and environment friendly.

Again you don't need to agree with me, and I don't intent to fight with you. I'm just promoting my own philosophy that people should not buy poorly manufactured products, especially from Topping.

Did you read @amirm test at the beginning of this thread? Your whole arguments come completely off topic and suddenly you want to make a point about the environment and rant about Topping? In a thread where one of their DACS is tested very favorably?

I certainly do not agree with you. That's why I said in my post before this 'Let's agree to disagree'. That was actually a polite way to make clear that I did not want to discuss this any further.
I am not about to start an environmental discussion with you and I am certainly not participating in your rant about Chinese companies. Why not? Because it is completely off topic. Suggestion: Start your own thread titled: "The environmental impact of Topping's linear power supplies on our well being in this society and my dissatisfaction with junk produced by Chinese companies in general". (or something similar).
Have a nice day.

Last edited:

PPP

Never mind. This entire site favors Topping products because of amirm. Most people blindly purchase it after reading his review and remorse later.
I know you purchased a D90. I wish you good luck and don't run into those silly design/quality control issues other forum readers has experienced.

Veri

Master Contributor
I know you purchased a D90. I wish you good luck and don't run into those silly design/quality control issues other forum readers has experienced.
Counter-argument being of course that quality control issues can to a certain agree happen to all manufacturers, even prestigious/western-based ones.

PPP

Counter-argument being of course that quality control issues can to a certain agree happen to all manufacturers, even prestigious/western-based ones.
Agree. so choose wisely. Search for companies with good product as well as good customer service. If possible, buy local so you don't need to pay international shipping fee to RMA the product. Especially not to purchase from a company that is known to have failed their customers many times.

Last edited:

AndyLu

Forum Donor

Yep. I have had problems with iFi, NAD and Emotiva. Oh wait aren't they all manufactured in China also? :):facepalm:;). On the other hand I also had many problems with my Apple computer (also manufactured in China :cool:). Are there actually any consumer electronics not produced in China anymore, except for some very expensive niche brands? I must say in all cases the customer service was good and my products where replaced/repaired. In the end that's the most important thing. My Topping devices are still going strong. But just saying... it can happen with any brand.

PPP

Are there actually any consumer electronics not produced in China anymore, except for some very expensive niche brands?

Of course. JDS and Geshelli are US brands. Their products are made right in the US, and have the top performance/price ratio.

Also a $700 price for a Topping made pure DAC is ridiculously expensive. That's what I call "very expensive", "niche".
RME's ADI-2 DAC, made in Germany, by a famous professional company with good reputation, is rock solid, with the best HP amp on the planet and plenty of DSP features, costs only around 800EUR.

I must say in all cases the customer service was good and my products where replaced/repaired.
That's true for your Apple computer, and many who have a US distributor.
Unfortunately not the case for Topping. a lot of Topping users are complaining about shipping fee back to China.
So for people not living in China, Topping is not a wise choice in this respect.

Last edited:

Rover

Of course. JDS and Geshelli are US brands. Their products are made right in the US, and have the top performance/price ratio.

Also a $700 price for a Topping made pure DAC is ridiculously expensive. That's what I call "very expensive", "niche".
RME's ADI-2 DAC, made in Germany, by a famous professional company with good reputation, is rock solid, with the best HP amp on the planet and plenty of DSP features, costs only around 800EUR.
I personally sent the ADI-2 DAC from RME back to Germany after a breakdown. This is after a couple of months of use. The well-known Japanese company as the TEAC DAC 505 which I used personally also had serious problems with the network module. For this I had to use it exclusively as a USB dac and send it back to the distributor. You rather mislead people with your one-sided negative claims to Toping. But I do not blame you for this, you are more likely to have one-sided information against Toping that is beneficial to you.

Roberto

That's true for your Apple computer, and many who have a US distributor.
Unfortunately not the case for Topping. a lot of Topping users are complaining about shipping fee back to China.
So for people not living in China, Topping is not a wise choice in this respect.

Can you tell us where we can buy the RME for 800EUR? The cheapest I can find is 950EUR.

PPP

Can you tell us where we can buy the RME for 800EUR? The cheapest I can find is 950EUR.

You can get it from rme-shop by Rene. need to register as “friends of RME” to get the discount. The pre-tax cost is around 800 EUR. If you live in the states there will be no sales tax for foreign goods. Imports of audio equipment are also tariff free from Europe to the states.

I once purchased a Pro this way as gift to a relative so I know how it works. The total cost was below 1500USD Fedex overnight shipping and foreign transaction fee included. At that time the Pro from local distributors costs 2000USD plus sales tax. A week after the unit’s arrival you will get a $0 tariff bills from the US custom.

(Oh by the way Topping always lies to the US custom and refuse to pay any tariffs. This is not an honest and law abiding company at all.)

The down side of that is, if you run into problems you need to mail it to Netherland. Local synthax may be reluctant to help you. While I have an RME babyface unit purchased from US synthax and last year when I traveled to Hong Kong to join their protest My unit was still supported by their Hong Kong branch, you won’t get the same international coverage Buying from Rene. Fortunately Rene still provides good service and cheaper prices. So I only need to bet it won’t cost more than $500 international shipping fee during the Pro’s entire lifespan.

Roberto

You can get it from rme-shop by Rene. need to register as “friends of RME” to get the discount. The pre-tax cost is around 800 EUR. If you live in the states there will be no sales tax for foreign goods. Imports of audio equipment are also tariff free from Europe to the states.

I once purchased a Pro this way as gift to a relative so I know how it works. The total cost was below 1500USD Fedex overnight shipping and foreign transaction fee included. At that time the Pro from local distributors costs 2000USD plus sales tax. A week after the unit’s arrival you will get a $0 tariff bills from the US custom.

(Oh by the way Topping always lies to the US custom and refuse to pay any tariffs. This is not an honest and law abiding company at all.)

The down side of that is, if you run into problems you need to mail it to Netherland. Local synthax may be reluctant to help you. While I have an RME babyface unit purchased from US synthax and last year when I traveled to Hong Kong to join their protest My unit was still supported by their Hong Kong branch, you won’t get the same international coverage Buying from Rene. Fortunately Rene still provides good service and cheaper prices. So I only need to bet it won’t cost more than $500 international shipping fee during the Pro’s entire lifespan.

Just had a look. It’s listed at 988EUR - and the registration page isn’t working. Even If I manage to register and buy it tax free, won’t I have to pay tax somewhere along the line, plus shipping?
Purchase tax in the UK is 20%.
I can’t see how I can buy this for 800EUR - at least not legally!

atomicminded

Are you a paid troll? I purchased my D90 from APOS.com, that's a REAL stretch to say that tariffs are being avoided or refused.

PPP

Just had a look. It’s listed at 988EUR - and the registration page isn’t working. Even If I manage to register and buy it tax free, won’t I have to pay tax somewhere along the line, plus shipping?
Purchase tax in the UK is 20%.
I can’t see how I can buy this for 800EUR - at least not legally!

The 988 EUR included 21% of tax. When you ship to the US you don't need to pay that portion.
Don't know UK's case. I was only talking about US. In the US, you can legally get it tax free.
I know it because I did my research while purchasing.

Roberto

The 988 EUR included 21% of tax. When you ship to the US you don't need to pay that portion.
Don't know UK's case. I was only talking about US. In the US, you can legally get it tax free.
I know it because I did my research while purchasing.

Thanks for the clarification. I think we can assume the price is not 800EUR.

incursore61

I am using my Topping D90 connected with usb to my imac where the Tidal application is running with files called Master MQA. The Topping indicates on the display a maximum resolution of 96kHz, while the same song listened to with my hiby R6 (with new sign that supports MQA indicates a resolution of 384kHz .... I don't understand the reason ...

Attachments

• IMG_2866.jpg.a6ae91bb67f0d39e8a9205b332ee43d1.jpg
    IMG_2866.jpg.a6ae91bb67f0d39e8a9205b332ee43d1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 551836763_Schermata2020-05-04alle20_42_53.png.d023dcbc4c09e4f49ecb70bb48eff954.png
    551836763_Schermata2020-05-04alle20_42_53.png.d023dcbc4c09e4f49ecb70bb48eff954.png
    317.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2793.jpeg.9331d00bfb778176e23d809c0b5e96cf.jpeg
    IMG_2793.jpeg.9331d00bfb778176e23d809c0b5e96cf.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 137

PPP

Are you a paid troll? I purchased my D90 from APOS.com, that's a REAL stretch to say that tariffs are being avoided or refused.

I directly purchased from Topping more than one time from their aliexpress store. They wrote $10 or $20 as item value on custom sheet in the mail bag, shipping from China, while each order actually cost hundreds. That was during trade war in late 2018, In 2019 they changed their shipping location to Singapore to hide the truth. This is illegal. and it's no secret many Chinese companies are doing the same filthy things like Topping does.

I don't know the details concerning your purchase. you probably don't know either if APOS paid import taxes before selling to you. But when I purchased from Topping they lied to the custom, more than once.

I am not trolling or being paid. I am expressing my angry concerning those Chinese firms that sell craps, and violate the law.

Last edited:

Rigel

Never mind. This entire site favors Topping products because of amirm. Most people blindly purchase it after reading his review and remorse later.

In fact, I bought it based on the Amirm test and I don't regret it, I would buy it again. It sounds great and has never failed me.

The only thing I did not like about it, are the keys to increase or decrease the volume and that is why I have put a rotor.

Last edited:

Roberto

Rigel,

“ and that is why I have put a rotor.”

That sound interesting. Can you explain exactly what you did?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using my Topping D90 connected with usb to my imac where the Tidal application is running with files called Master MQA. The Topping indicates on the display a maximum resolution of 96kHz, while the same song listened to with my hiby R6 (with new sign that supports MQA indicates a resolution of 384kHz .... I don't understand the reason ...
The standard , not MQA D90? Thats correct, Tidal app will do first MQA unfold to a max of 96khz. The max MQA files on tidal can go up to 192khz but are rare and need the second (from 96 to 192) unfold doing on the DAC that is MQA enabled.

The Hiby is possibly upsampling- but no way can Tidal MQA be 384 without upsampling.

EDIT- Not for the first and not for the last, I am wrong. Tidal MQA above 192 exists - I have been pointed to and played content that displays as 384khz full decode. For the music I tend to listen to, 44.1, 88.2 and 96 khz seem to be the most frequent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom