• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Bratsson

Don't do anything with Pin 15. It looks like when Pin 14 is active, then DSD is on. When it is not active it is PCM.

Well in the D90 settings you can swtich between DSD Flag 14 or 15.
I have DSD Flag 14 now and DSD works good, not PCM as said.
But is it the D90 who is doing things wrong or the Nuprime CDT-9 Pro? :confused:

samshaver

Is it possible to send out music via bt?

Hey Puska, sorry, I do not have a D90 yet, so I can not confirm, but from everything I’ve read, I think that the Bluetooth connection is only one way. Meaning that you can only send signal to the D90, and not use the D90 to connect to a pair of headphones, for example. If I’m understanding your question correctly. Hope that helps.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
There is answer from Topping: "The result of the experiment by the replacing the wrong clock is that: if the clock is wrong, not only the USB will fail, but other inputs will also fail. However, caution is still recommended to return".
After this response, the seller agreed to a full refund, so the situation was well resolved! :D
I decided to stay with D70, because with it the sound of my system is nicer/mellower for my ears. D90 has superb perfromance though.
Hi,

Your listening comment is interesting, Has anyone else done any direct comparison between the D 90 other D 70? I recently purchased a D 70 rethought and purchased a
D 90. My intention is to send the 70 back only having it about a week but while listening to both I am feeling that the 90 is a bit brighter in certain instances, more detail but occasionally slightly harsher possibly, whereas the 70 is still very detailed but possibly a little bit less edge. Could be the recordings, the 90 is highlighting the flaws and the 70 is glossing over them? Of course these are very subjective but these are level matching and multiple listening sessions. Running Dac xlr direct into NC400s.

Any other comparisons of both units out here? They’re both really excellent DACs imo, sonics well above the price point. Thanks in advance.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
There is answer from Topping: "The result of the experiment by the replacing the wrong clock is that: if the clock is wrong, not only the USB will fail, but other inputs will also fail. However, caution is still recommended to return".
After this response, the seller agreed to a full refund, so the situation was well resolved! :D
I decided to stay with D70, because with it the sound of my system is nicer/mellower for my ears. D90 has superb perfromance though.
Hi,

Your listening comment is interesting, Has anyone else done any direct comparison between the D 90 other D 70? I recently purchased a D 70 rethought and purchased a
D 90. My intention is to send the 70 back only having it about a week but while listening to both I am feeling that the 90 is a bit brighter in certain instances, more detail but occasionally slightly harsher possibly, whereas the 70 is still very detailed but possibly a little bit less edge. Could be the recordings, the 90 is highlighting the flaws and the 70 is glossing over them? Of course these are very subjective but these are level matching and multiple listening sessions. Running Dac xlr direct into NC400s.

Any other comparisons of both units out here? They’re both really excellent DACs imo, sonics well above the price point. Thanks in advance.

Ema79

Hello everyone, I have had D90 topping for about a week and I can only confirm what the MEASURES declare. The D90 topping is a fabulous dac that currently has few rivals. I compared it with an audiophile dac R2R or the Aqua dac La scala MKII optologic and there was no match. The D90 was more open, more precise, more detailed, and the instruments were better separated and scanned, and it was also at a disadvantage towards Aqua, as the D90 was attached to a standard USB socket of the pc while the Aqua was attached via I2S to a Pink faun bridge.
The measurements really tell you what device you have, forget about the esoteric and R2R magic appliances. On my system I have not noticed this magical component that goes beyond the measures.
Truly a really nice product and I can only thank first of all audioscience review (that if it were not for this site I would never have discovered how good there is around at moderate prices) and then topping that has created an exceptional product. Good.

Yviena

Hmm seems that the topping unit does support playing back 48khz DSD but it's buggy in that you need to first start a 44.1khz DSD type track, and then switch over to 48khz based DSD, I haven't noticed any slowdown/speedup of the music so I believe it's using the correct clock for 48khz DSD, the display still shows 44.1khz based DSD though.
It would be nice though if anyone with measurement equipment can confirm it's using the correct clock with 48khz based DSD though, or maybe topping can fix it with a firmware update.

TheInquiring

@Ema79

Emanuele, could you please report on the differences in sound you have in your system with the D90 connected directly to your Pass X 150.8 versus the D90 connected to your Audia Flight preamplifier (is it this one: http://www.audia.it/products/fls-8/preamplifiers-10.html )?

Both the D90 preamplifier and your Audia Flight are exceptional devices, and it would be very interesting indeed to learn what your personal, subjective experience using them is…

Ema79

@Ema79

Emanuele, could you please report on the differences in sound you have in your system with the D90 connected directly to your Pass X 150.8 versus the D90 connected to your Audia Flight preamplifier (is it this one: http://www.audia.it/products/fls-8/preamplifiers-10.html )?

Both the D90 preamplifier and your Audia Flight are exceptional devices, and it would be very interesting indeed to learn what your personal, subjective experience using them is…

This weekend I'll do a test, even if the D90 is not exactly a preamplifier as it is for example the Matrix element X.
In the past, however, I have already done this test with another product.
I had connected my Audia Flight to monophonic Pass XA 200.5 using a lindemann musicbook source with built-in preamp as source.
Excluding L'audia Flight the sound was slightly more natural but barely noticeable, on the other hand, however, it lost 3/4 of the extension of the scene, it lost dynamics, and it lost that sense of being wrapped entirely in music.
In the end I kept the audia flight without the slightest regret.
It is truly an exceptional product. I also compared it with an XP20 Pass, it only took 10 seconds to understand that there was no game. I pessuduced the MKII version and now I have the MK 3.2 version. Change very little. While the MK 1 version is totally different from the MK2 version.
I update you. Good day.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Hmm seems that the topping unit does support playing back 48khz DSD but it's buggy in that you need to first start a 44.1khz DSD type track, and then switch over to 48khz based DSD, I haven't noticed any slowdown/speedup of the music so I believe it's using the correct clock for 48khz DSD, the display still shows 44.1khz based DSD though.
It would be nice though if anyone with measurement equipment can confirm it's using the correct clock with 48khz based DSD though, or maybe topping can fix it with a firmware update.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I assume you mean 44.1 PCM vs 48 PCM? As far as I know DSD formats of 44.1 Khz or 48 Khz do not exist.

PCM vs DSD formats

Veri

Master Contributor
Correct me if I am wrong, but I assume you mean 44.1 PCM vs 48 PCM? As far as I know DSD formats of 44.1 Khz or 48 Khz do not exist.

PCM vs DSD formats
He means 44.1k modulated DSD or 48k modulated. Sample rates tend to be a multiple of one of these. There's a lot of DACs that only properly decode the first one, 44.1k modulated DSD. Upsampling software like HQPlayer can let you specify which modulation to use.

Last edited:

AndyLu

Forum Donor
He means 44.1k modulated DSD or 48k modulated. Sample rates tend to be a multiple of one of these. There's a lot of DACs that only properly decode the first one, 44.1k modulated DSD. Upsampling software like HQPlayer can let you specify which modulation to use.
Ah! Thanks for the clarification.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Topping showed a teaser for the A90 on Facebook today....

@TP-Wong , any interesting tidbits to share on this here on ASR ??

What intrigues me is an apparent "Headphone" and "PreAmp" switch integral to the power switch ?

a90.jpg

Last edited:

typericey

The only way for that amp to match the performance of the D90 is to be THX.

TheInquiring

Thank you very kindly, Emanuele, for your most appreciated response.:)

Your comparison of the SOUND using Lindemann musicbook directly to Pass Labs XA200.5 vs. Lindemann musicbook to Audia Flight Pre to Pass Labs XA200.5 is quite revealing: “In the end I kept the audia flight without the slightest regret.”

This is very important, but what is equally important for me, is that you compared the Pass Labs XP-20, an excellent preamplifier, to your Audia Flight Pre MK3.2, and very definitely preferred the latter: “… also compared it with an XP20 Pass, it only took 10 seconds to understand that there was no game.” I almost got myself the XP-20 to compliment my Pass class-A power amplifier, but now I will definitely need to audition the Audia Flight Pre!

Thank you for providing this incredibly important information! Have you had a chance to audition the current model, the Audia Flight FLS1 preamplifier, and compare it to your Audia Flight Pre MK3.2, please?

Patiently waiting for your impressions on the incredible D90: it does measure fantastic, but how does it sound, is it equipped with a really good preamplifier on par or better than the Audia Flight Pre? Please take your time and provide every detail of your tests. I am positive, many forum members would really appreciate your input.

Last, but not least: Emanuele, and all our dear Italian friends, please keep safe and healthy!:)

Ema79

Thank you very kindly, Emanuele, for your most appreciated response.:)

Your comparison of the SOUND using Lindemann musicbook directly to Pass Labs XA200.5 vs. Lindemann musicbook to Audia Flight Pre to Pass Labs XA200.5 is quite revealing: “In the end I kept the audia flight without the slightest regret.”

This is very important, but what is equally important for me, is that you compared the Pass Labs XP-20, an excellent preamplifier, to your Audia Flight Pre MK3.2, and very definitely preferred the latter: “… also compared it with an XP20 Pass, it only took 10 seconds to understand that there was no game.” I almost got myself the XP-20 to compliment my Pass class-A power amplifier, but now I will definitely need to audition the Audia Flight Pre!

Thank you for providing this incredibly important information! Have you had a chance to audition the current model, the Audia Flight FLS1 preamplifier, and compare it to your Audia Flight Pre MK3.2, please?

Patiently waiting for your impressions on the incredible D90: it does measure fantastic, but how does it sound, is it equipped with a really good preamplifier on par or better than the Audia Flight Pre? Please take your time and provide every detail of your tests. I am positive, many forum members would really appreciate your input.

Last, but not least: Emanuele, and all our dear Italian friends, please keep safe and healthy!:)

Good morning everyone, good morning TheInquiring.
Today I connected the topping directly to the final Pass, and I must say that it took a little time to get used to the new sound.
I was convinced to try a unit worse than the lindeman in terms of preamp, instead I would say that overall it is quite good. Good in the sense that if you are a demanding audiophile its performance will not be enough, but you can still listen to the audio system without rushing to buy a preamplifier.
Now we come to listening: With the direct connection to the end the voices acquire more naturalness and I also felt a pinch of microdetail more, on the other hand however I lost control and detail at low frequencies, I lost a lot in exension of the sound image, the dynamics are slightly lower, the sound is more amber, closed, slow, and loses in softness.
By raising the volume the scene remains flatter and with less resolution, but on the other hand gains a quieter background and a slight improvement in the separation of the instruments.
The general balance is as good for both as it was foreseeable .... being in fact preamplifiers with digital volume control I expected it.
Regarding the new FLS, I have no way to try it, Audia products are quite rare even in Italy, indeed perhaps more, here they are very tied to the blazon. In any case, to have a real performance leap you should not look at the FLS but at the Instrument, and in any case always after having made at least one listening to understand its setting because what can please me, may not please you. Regardless of how much HIFI is a product.
Thanks for the good wishes, with regards to the coronavirus we get out well, I would say on a par with other seasonal influences. In fact, I don't understand all this alarmism from the institutions. (closed OT)
Regards.
Emanuele.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Good morning everyone, good morning TheInquiring.
Today I connected the topping directly to the final Pass, and I must say that it took a little time to get used to the new sound.
I was convinced to try a unit worse than the lindeman in terms of preamp, instead I would say that overall it is quite good. Good in the sense that if you are a demanding audiophile its performance will not be enough, but you can still listen to the audio system without rushing to buy a preamplifier.
Now we come to listening: With the direct connection to the end the voices acquire more naturalness and I also felt a pinch of microdetail more, on the other hand however I lost control and detail at low frequencies, I lost a lot in exension of the sound image, the dynamics are slightly lower, the sound is more amber, closed, slow, and loses in softness.
By raising the volume the scene remains flatter and with less resolution, but on the other hand gains a quieter background and a slight improvement in the separation of the instruments.
The general balance is as good for both as it was foreseeable .... being in fact preamplifiers with digital volume control I expected it.
Regarding the new FLS, I have no way to try it, Audia products are quite rare even in Italy, indeed perhaps more, here they are very tied to the blazon. In any case, to have a real performance leap you should not look at the FLS but at the Instrument, and in any case always after having made at least one listening to understand its setting because what can please me, may not please you. Regardless of how much HIFI is a product.
Thanks for the good wishes, with regards to the coronavirus we get out well, I would say on a par with other seasonal influences. In fact, I don't understand all this alarmism from the institutions. (closed OT)
Regards.
Emanuele.

Just throwing this out there...since this is a science forum...

These kinds of listening reviews are notoriously unreliable if there is no effort made to eliminate bias in the process.

If you aren't comparing these devices using a level matched blind process, the results are going to be virtually meaningless.

That's one of the main reasons you almost never see the long flowery poetic reviews here...because they may be well intentioned, but psychoacoustic effects are real and have to be considered.

Unless a (decent) DAC or other electronic device is broken somehow (or has some kind of impedance mismatch...which would be predictable) hearing obvious clear differences from the first measure isn't what you'll hear once you have controlled the process.

Cut-Throat

Just throwing this out there...since this is a science forum...

These kinds of listening reviews are notoriously unreliable if there is no effort made to eliminate bias in the process.

If you aren't comparing these devices using a level matched blind process, the results are going to be virtually meaningless.

That's one of the main reasons you almost never see the long flowery poetic reviews here...because they may be well intentioned, but psychoacoustic effects are real and have to be considered.

Unless a (decent) DAC or other electronic device is broken somehow (or has some kind of impedance mismatch...which would be predictable) hearing obvious clear differences from the first measure isn't what you'll hear once you have controlled the process.

+1 .......

Puska

Is d90 pre sufficient or using Schiit Freya will give better sound?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Is d90 pre sufficient or using Schiit Freya will give better sound?

It is sufficient. Keeps from having to go through more circuitry than needed...

Top Bottom