• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MQA is hot garbage! Stop polluting this forum with this shilling for MQA.

Royalties are all that matters to MQA.
They used their marketing presence and influence to leach some money out of those who actually added value, like Roon and Oppo.

Here are my MQA views:

• MQA 15 bit audio format is masquerading as HD Audio.
  • MQA does not have the dynamic range of HD Audio.
  • MQA does not have the sample rate of HD Audio.
  • MQA may have some lossy inaudible ultra-sonic frequencies.
It is technically inferior to HD Audio and, when played without a decoder, is technically inferior to a CD.

Conclusion: Subscribe to QOBUZ and not TIDAL and save money too :p

- Rich

Last edited:

Rover

"Rigel
Here are my MQA views:

It is technically inferior to HD Audio and, when played without a decoder, is technically inferior to a CD. "

It's nice to read a smart person!:D

Cut-Throat

I just ordered a D90 and am studying the user manual (Which is pretty lean). I was looking for a way to disable the Volume Control and always run the DAC at full volume. It will always be used as input to a Tube Pre-Amp. So, can someone tell me how to disable the Volume Control? I have read reviews, where it suggested that you can do this in the Menu Mode of the DAC. More importantly how can you get this into Menu Mode? I've seen no mention of Menu Mode in the Manual.

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Rigel
Here are my MQA views:

It is technically inferior to HD Audio and, when played without a decoder, is technically inferior to a CD. "

It's nice to read a smart person!:D

Apparently, Tidal is now supplying Atmos titles. Multi-channel audio is FAR more interesting than MQA.
No handwaving required.

- Rich

Rigel

I just ordered a D90 and am studying the user manual (Which is pretty lean). I was looking for a way to disable the Volume Control and always run the DAC at full volume. It will always be used as input to a Tube Pre-Amp. So, can someone tell me how to disable the Volume Control? I have read reviews, where it suggested that you can do this in the Menu Mode of the DAC. More importantly how can you get this into Menu Mode? I've seen no mention of Menu Mode in the Manual.

Hi Cut-Throat

The manual in my opinion should improve. It is small and somewhat confusing, especially if it is not in my language.

Look at this video. Where you can read "LO Mode" is where you can select the DAC or Pre mode
To enter setting mode, press the power / SEL button while simultaneously operating the rear power switch.

(In this particular D90, it has the modified keypad with a knob. The factory has a couple of buttons)

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor

I think, perhaps, once the option of working as DAC only is selected, it will automatically select full gain....
There is a link that recommends setting the volume to ZERO once the DAC only option has been activated.

They say...."The front panel is really simple, the On/Off button on the left works as an input selector and a longer press will turn it Off or On. The up and down buttons on the right will control its preamp volume level and if you are using it as a pure DAC please leave it at 0.00 dB volume (maxed-out) for best performance."

https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/topping-d90-review-a-genre-master/

Cut-Throat

OK, thanks for your replies.... I was wondering if anyone here uses the D90 with PiCorePlayer (Raspberry Pi LMS Software) and could tell me what the 'Output Setting' is for the USB Audio Input? Thanks

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
OK, thanks for your replies.... I was wondering if anyone here uses the D90 with PiCorePlayer (Raspberry Pi LMS Software) and could tell me what the 'Output Setting' is for the USB Audio Input? Thanks

I do not think there is such a thing...USB is just an input.

The options I heard about OUTPUT is to have both XLR and RCA activated or only one of them....

Another link to help you....

http://www.smsl-topping.com/blog-Ne...eview-–-Majestic-Quick-Accurate-11533340.html

In Tips & Tricks you can read the following...

Before going deep into its performance, in typical SoundNews fashion, I have some very important tips to share with you that will help you achieve the best sound quality out of D90 MQA.

You can control the D90 MQA via the its buttons on the face plate, with the included remote few additional settings will be unlocked – this is why I recommend using the remote as much as possible and there is also a hidden menu which Topping buried deep into the user manual. To access it turn it Off completely (with the switch on the back), press and hold the menu/stand-by button on the front panel and while you keep pressing it turn the switch on the back to On position and an advanced menu will appear, from which some settings are quite mandatory:

• If you are using the D90 MQA in a headphone setup or if you have already a dedicated preamp in a speaker setup, I strongly recommend disabling the preamp mode, the setting no. 3 will let you choose between DAC mode (completely disabled the digital volume and keeping it fixed at full power - 4V on XLR and 2V on RCA) or PRE mode.
  • If you use just a single analog output, RCA or XLR and don’t use the second one, I recommend disabling the second output – it is setting no.4
  • If you don’t plan on using the Bluetooth input, or maybe you’ll use it casually from time to time, I recommend disabling the BT module – it is the setting no.5 from that menu
  • Lastly, if you check the user manual carefully, the FFT Spectrum will show the measured difference of those 6 digital filters, out of those Filter 3 and Filter 4 have the lowest ringing past 20 kHz, this is why I recommend using filter no.3 for a smoother top end or filter no.4 for more treble presence past 24 kHz.
If you plan on using the D90 or D90 MQA in a speaker setup as a DAC + Pre, just skip the first recommendation. By following these tips, you will be squeezing the last drop of performance out of it.

Cut-Throat

I do not think there is such a thing...USB is just an input.

You misunderstood me. The output setting is in PiCorePlayer the software for a Raspberry Pi (Which is LMS). Each DAC will require a different output setting.

Also - I have the Standard D90 - I will not be using MQA..

F1308

Major Contributor
You misunderstood me. The output setting is in PiCorePlayer the software for a Raspberry Pi (Which is LMS). Each DAC will require a different output setting.

Also - I have the Standard D90 - I will not be using MQA..
Oh, dear...billions of blue blistering barnacles...!!!!

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mister this is an annoying MQA ad.Repeating an MQA through every word is indecent and annoying!!!Looks like it's paid for!o_Oo_Oo_O
Sorry to stick a pin in your inflated gas bag of a conspiracy theory, but I'm simply another audiophile looking to enjoy the hobby.

If you meant to suggest that my experience with Tidal and MQA was enjoyable and as advertised by Tidal and other MQA proponents, then yes, that's just how it is for me and my first experiences with MQA and Tidal with the FiiO M15.

I just got my M15 a couple of weeks ago and when my D90 MQA arrives I'll share those user experiences here as well.

I also posted the problem with using Tidal's "Exclusive Mode" and how I am not going to be able stay in MQA mode all the time - I need to be able to switch back and forth between Tidal and other music players, Youtube, Netflix, etc and while in "Exclusive Mode' for Tidal MQA support I can't do that.

Everyone here should be able to share their experiences with their D90 and D90 MQA, and trying to squelch MQA user opinions and experience is a ludicrous showing of bad manners and Ill conceived actions.

This isn't even an MQA thread per se, it's only one of the functions of the D90 MQA, but a major one that we all want to know about as owners of our D90 MQA units.

Please let us enjoy our D90 / D90 MQA owners discussions here in peace and leave us alone. Thank you for your kinder treatment in advance.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
MQA is a technology in the field on both content and equipment side. We will be reviewing and discussing it as such. Since there is an MQA version of this DAC, such talk is fine in this thread.

If you feel the urge to say MQA is garbage, create a different thread and I am sure there will be many people praising you. But please don't get personal with him this way.

hmscott

It looks like DHL is really trying to break records in shipping from China these days. I've received 3 DHL shipments in the last day that are all days earlier than promised, including a cables delivery this morning and my D90 / A90 unit delivery minutes ago. :)
D90 MQA + A90 delivered.jpg

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also posted the problem with using Tidal's "Exclusive Mode" and how I am not going to be able stay in MQA mode all the time - I need to be able to switch back and forth between Tidal and other music players, Youtube, Netflix, etc and while in "Exclusive Mode' for Tidal MQA support I can't do that.

Any music program that requires "Exclusive mode" MQA or not MQA will NOT allow other programs to access the DAC until music has either stopped (not paused) or that the program is terminated. MQA requires WASAPI exclusive mode or ASIO (not multi-client ASIO) in order to perform its decoding. I do use my AK SP2000 DAP for MQA files (not Tidal Offline Master tracks) so playing back MQA while switching to other devices isn't an issue for me

hmscott

Any music program that requires "Exclusive mode" MQA or not MQA will NOT allow other programs to access the DAC until music has either stopped (not paused) or that the program is terminated. MQA requires WASAPI exclusive mode or ASIO (not multi-client ASIO) in order to perform its decoding. I do use my AK SP2000 DAP for MQA files (not Tidal Offline Master tracks) so playing back MQA while switching to other devices isn't an issue for me
If the Tidal app would bring forward to the main track control interface the toggle for "Exclusive Mode" instead of burying it in the Streaming sub-dialog settings, the user experience would be much friendlier for living in and out of MQA space.

As it is I can keep that Stream Settings dialog open and toggle "Exclusive Mode" mid-track for instant A/B listening - the M15 indicates different bit/rate as I switch in and out - but the dialog itself is "modal" so I have to click past it to the playback controls and then dig back into the "Streaming Settings" between changing tracks.

At least with Tidal I don't have to kill the pid or exit the app to free up the USB DAC under use, so I can switch between apps freely. :)

Guddu

D90 with MiniDSP 2x4 HD or nano Digi 2x8?
---------------------------------------------------

HI FM, I hope you can help me understand practical options to add room correction (MiniDSP in this case) with D90.

1) D90 with MiniDSP 2x4 HD

PC/Player >> (USB/TOSLINK in) D90 (RCA out)>> (RCA in) MiniDSP 2x4 HD (RCA out) >> (RCA in) Power AMP >> Speakers

1591155169470.png

- D90 is going to perform D to A conversion and feed its analog output to MiniDSP input.
- MiniDSP needs to perform DSP, so it will convert A to D first and then will perform DSP. D to A conversion will again happen to feed analog output to Power AMP input.
- Do you think it is a recommended setup?
- Looks like it is going to undo D90 performance and then D to A is purely subject to MiniDSP's D to A performance?

- If this is the case then is it not better to directly input digital into MiniDSP (USB or TOSLINK), skipping D90 totally?

PC/Player >> (USB/TOSLINK in) MiniDSP 2x4 HD (RCA out) >> (RCA in) Power AMP >> Speakers

2) D90 with nano Digi 2x8?

PC/Player >> (SPDIF/TOSLINK in) nano Digi (SPDIF RCA out) >> (Digital SPDIF in) D90 (RCA out) >> (RCA in) Power AMP >> Speakers

1591155129739.png

- nano Digi is Digital Input (SPDIF/TOSLINK) & Digital Output (SPDIF RCA) device.
- So, no D to A conversion to be done on MiniDSP nano Digi.
- Will nano Digi add any limitations, other than input/output options?
- Does this setup look like more practical approach to have room correction with D90?

auronthas

It looks like DHL is really trying to break records in shipping from China these days. I've received 3 DHL shipments in the last day that are all days earlier than promised, including a cables delivery this morning and my D90 / A90 unit delivery minutes ago. :)
View attachment 66860
Yes, DHL Express is superbly fast.

I ordered mine D90 MQA from ShenZhen Audio on 27 April, they took few days to test , shipped out on 1 May, received on 4 May via. DHL Express. A90 is even faster, ordered on 28 May , received on 30 May.

auronthas

If the Tidal app would bring forward to the main track control interface the toggle for "Exclusive Mode" instead of burying it in the Streaming sub-dialog settings, the user experience would be much friendlier for living in and out of MQA space.

As it is I can keep that Stream Settings dialog open and toggle "Exclusive Mode" mid-track for instant A/B listening - the M15 indicates different bit/rate as I switch in and out - but the dialog itself is "modal" so I have to click past it to the playback controls and then dig back into the "Streaming Settings" between changing tracks.

At least with Tidal I don't have to kill the pid or exit the app to free up the USB DAC under use, so I can switch between apps freely. :)

I noticed most MQA music file from Tidal Master MQA the display shown in D90 MQA is 44.1kHz & 96kHz sampling rate, few albums are 384kHz, one of the albums i come across is this Marianne Thorsen Trondheimsolistene - Mozart Violin Concertos (2006 MQA) . Digital source: Aries Mini

VeerK

HI FM, I hope you can help me understand practical options to add room correction (MiniDSP in this case) with D90.

PC/Player >> (USB/TOSLINK in) D90 (RCA out)>> (RCA in) MiniDSP 2x4 HD (RCA out) >> (RCA in) Power AMP >> Speakers

View attachment 66865

- D90 is going to perform D to A conversion and feed its analog output to MiniDSP input.
- MiniDSP needs to perform DSP, so it will convert A to D first and then will perform DSP. D to A conversion will again happen to feed analog output to Power AMP input.
- Looks like it is going to undo D90 performance and then D to A is purely subject to MiniDSP's D to A performance?

- If this is the case then is it not better to directly input digital into MiniDSP (USB or TOSLINK), skipping D90 totally?

PC/Player >> (USB/TOSLINK in) MiniDSP 2x4 HD (RCA out) >> (RCA in) Power AMP >> Speakers

PC/Player >> (SPDIF/TOSLINK in) nano Digi (SPDIF RCA out) >> (Digital SPDIF in) D90 (RCA out) >> (RCA in) Power AMP >> Speakers

View attachment 66864

- nano Digi is Digital Input (SPDIF/TOSLINK) & Digital Output (SPDIF RCA) device.
- Does this setup look like more practical approach to have room correction with D90?

I would strongly recommend you use the Nanodigi, it makes little sense to use the superb D90 D to A only to then go A to D to A with the MiniDSP. Unless you need FIR filtering, the Nanodigi is a decent option

auronthas

View attachment 66865

View attachment 66864

Why do you need this MiniDSP since there is D90? SPDIF/Toslink can handle up to max 24-bit, 96kHz only.

Top Bottom