• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70 Pro Sabre DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 41 12.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 261 81.8%

• Total voters

HoleyMole

I think the routing solution you use now is the most optimal. If you'd use the D70 as preamp you'd lose the balanced connection to the A70.
The difference in using the D70 vs the A70 as a preamp is that the D70 has a digital volume control, and the A70 has (a very good) analog volume control.
The measured performance of the digital volume control in the D70 wil be rivalling or outperforming any SOTA analog volume control, including that of the A70. That is for (channel) level-matching, crosstalk and SNR. Will you be able to hear that? Unlikely.
Many thanks for your detailed answer, I'm not that expert and trying to learning as much as I can from this forum.
Of course I wouldn't give up to XLR connection to A70, I'd swap them from monitor to amplifier every time I need to use headphone (of course this wouldn't be the better solution) :)

One strange thing that I noticed is that If I directly connect the Eris Pro Sub 10 to the D70 by XLR cables I have no crackling/distortion on the monitor with the monitor gain to 0 dB.
Once I use the full chaing (D70 -> A70 -> Eris Pro Sub 10 -> Eris Studio 5) sometimes I ear crackling sound from tweeter, for examples when I'm watching youtube videos or listening to piano song (FLAC 86 KHz). I have to set the gain to -5dB on the Eris Studio to reduce this crackling sound.
If I use RCA unbalanced connection from A70 to Eris Sub, there is no crackling/distortion from the Eris Studio Monitor.
Of course using unbalanced connection brings a lot of noise and disturbance in my particular case, so is not a possible way for me, it was just an experiment.

Any idea on the reasons?

jruser

Does this have any DPLL settings? Any issues with optical signal dropouts?

trigovina

Hi everyone, I have been using that dac for one week. Is there any difference in sound quality between pre mode and dac mod?
My problem is; In dac mode, it is not allowed to change the volume but in pre mode, it is.
I use that dac with wiim pro network player and it has no remote.
Wiim pro has its own mobile application and it is not practical to use it in order to adjust the volume.
Do you have any advice to adjust the volume in dac mode? Or should i use it in pre mode?

My Setup: Homatics TV Box to TV (HDMI) - TV Qut to Wiim Pro (SPDIF) - Wiim Pro to D70 Pro Sabre (SPDIF) - D70 Pro Sabre To Focal Alpha Evo 65 (XLR)

Last edited:

oozy

im considering getting Topping D70 Pro Sabre is there any known issues with this device? because i don't trust topping qc

guyboisvert

Great dac.:)

Some mild criticism :
Why implementing bluetooth ? This protocol has nothing to do with high fidelity, - it would have been really great If there was DLNA , Wi-Fi and Airplay compability.

But I guess one cant have it all for this price.
You could buy a raspberry pi and put Volumio on the flash card! It costs not much but brings you many cool features, like a huge radio streaming list, multiple music source options (local, SMB / NFS Share, etc), WiFi connection, etc. In my case, i bought this DAC knowing the measurements and putting money on that. I don't want to lower quality of the DAC itself at the expense of adding functions! But hey, that's just me!

Install Volumio 3.3 UNIVERSAL to create an Airplay streaming endpoint with a Raspberry Pi

staticV3

Master Contributor
How high can channel balancing go?
RTFM!
https://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/838383.html
Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 18.36.37.png

Akary

The 5 volt output from the balanced outputs is supported by all amplifiers or should be seen in the manual because nothing is reported on mine.

Top Bottom