• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

topping D30 Pro vs E30: what do i get for an extra USD200?

thetrystero

I'm looking to get a budget balanced dac. initially i'd considered getting the SMSL-SU8 v2 (USD250). But I'm seeing the D30 Pro now (USD360) and it does look tempting given how well it measures. However, I'm seeing that it costs around USD200 more than the E30. I'm wondering, am I paying just for the balanced out? what else will it give me apart from slightly higher SINAD? For better or for worse, I'm locked in to the balanced route now that my balanced amp has arrived. But I'm trying to justify the price difference so I don't feel like too much of a sucker.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You would be paying for balanced output, better performance, internal power supply, perhaps a volume knob.
If you don't need remote control you could get away with D10 Balanced which I really like. It has TRS balanced output.

OP
T

thetrystero

You would be paying for balanced output, better performance, internal power supply, perhaps a volume knob.
If you don't need remote control you could get away with D10 Balanced which I really like. It has TRS balanced output.
from the picture, it looks like those are not xlr outputs. are there several different types of "balanced"?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
from the picture, it looks like those are not xlr outputs. are there several different types of "balanced"?
Just different connectors. You can either use the adapter coming in the box to use XLR cable or just buy a pair of TRS to XLR cables.

OP
T

thetrystero

Just different connectors. You can either use the adapter coming in the box to use XLR cable or just buy a pair of TRS to XLR cables.
if in future i need to connect a subwoofer would i be able to do it in to the RCA connectors? can the d10b output to both RCA and TRS at the same time?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
if in future i need to connect a subwoofer would i be able to do it in to the RCA connectors? can the d10b output to both RCA and TRS at the same time?
No. It can't do either. There are subs with XLR input though. If you really do need RCA then maybe wait a bit for the E50 to come out. It would be a great option.

OP
T

thetrystero

@JohnYang1997 i think the d10b will be too limited for me. i want to buy the d30 pro but there seems to be an issue. i saw you replying in the d30 pro thread and realized you're a topping rep. i already posted there, but will post here again just in case. as you probably already know there are currently two issues 384kbps PCM and toslink jitter. for the latter issue, i contacted my local reseller here in malaysia (living audio) and he told you the rep at topping told him it could be an issue with Samsung TVs. I'm using Samsung TV and since i'm using this for my living room setup, it's very important for me to get clean sound from my TV. do you think i should avoid getting the d30 pro now? how soon do you think it will take for them to fix this issue in firmware update?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997 i think the d10b will be too limited for me. i want to buy the d30 pro but there seems to be an issue. i saw you replying in the d30 pro thread and realized you're a topping rep. i already posted there, but will post here again just in case. as you probably already know there are currently two issues 384kbps PCM and toslink jitter. for the latter issue, i contacted my local reseller here in malaysia (living audio) and he told you the rep at topping told him it could be an issue with Samsung TVs. I'm using Samsung TV and since i'm using this for my living room setup, it's very important for me to get clean sound from my TV. do you think i should avoid getting the d30 pro now? how soon do you think it will take for them to fix this issue in firmware update?
The 384khz issue only happens to small amount of people and I have private messaged each one of them with a different firmware and no more issue reported. This one is a non issue.

The SPDIF input one however is unfortunate. But it's all cool as we provide good return policy and have very high standard for our distributors. That being said, I don't recommend it. The E50 should be cheaper and have better chance of pairing with TVs. If you are willing to pay more D70s is better because it still has AK4118 in them, which has great compatibility.

I'm not necessarily the rep for topping but it happens naturally. I was here(2018 December) before I came to topping(2019 December). I'm the designer of many of the current products so I may be a better person answer some technical questions. For other issues it's better to contact seller or customer service.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 384khz issue only happens to small amount of people and I have private messaged each one of them with a different firmware and no more issue reported.
Just out of curiosity..
Why not make the firmware with the fix publicly available on the Topping's download page?
Personally I don't see the point in PCM 384 at all and will never use it so I have no idea if my unit is affected (nor do I care). But at the same time the D30Pro is marketed (it says so on the front ;) ) that it is PCM 384 capable so shouldn't the firmware that actually makes it PCM 384 capable be easily accessible for the customer who bought the D30Pro?

Saponetto

Honestly I don't know if the customized firmware John Yang refers is some way exceeding the stock fw rel. v2.44.
I have to say that even if using the stock 2.44 fw, this D30 Pro works flawlessly.

USB is perfect, quick and absolutely stable at PCM 384 KHz.

OP
T

thetrystero

Just got the d30 pro. Happy to report toslink works flawlessly with my TV. Haven't tried PCM 384 yet

Top Bottom