• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Should not be any audible differences like others have said so yeah, pick the thing based on your requirements (shipping, guarantee, customer services, aesthetic, features, etc.)

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but two I/O differences between the products are: the Modius has AES in and the LA-QXD1 has a digital output. I have a question, why not just go for the D90? The footprint should be the same as the A90 anyway?

About $500 of difference, no?

GeorgeWalk

Dvass13

Thoughts on the following chains:

Soncoz LA-QXD1 -> A90 -> Abyss 1266 Phi TC
Schiit Modius -> A90 -> Abyss 1266 Phi TC

Being fully balanced it seems like either DAC + A90 should be able to drive the Abyss or is this not a good idea?

My A90 is due for delivery some time tomorrow. I currently have a pair of 1266 Phi TC on loan from my local dealer. I've been driving them for the last week direct from my Matrix Audio Element X and have found that the Element X doesn't quite have the power to drive them. I'll pair the A90 with the Element X tomorrow to see how they pair.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I did think of that. I'm just operating on the assumption that if someone has the bux for the abyss and A90, that person would likely have the bux for the D90. :)
Not an unfair assumption.

ra990

Hmm i don't want to be the first one to point out...but...Why abyss?
Why not Abyss? In all my headphone listening experience, the Abyss 1266/Phi/TC were in another league! I don't know if the A90 puts out enough power for them though. Would you recommend the A90 for them @JohnYang1997 ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Why not Abyss? In all my headphone listening experience, the Abyss 1266/Phi/TC were in another league! I don't know if the A90 puts out enough power for them though. Would you recommend the A90 for them @JohnYang1997 ?
Powering is not an issue.
But Abyss tunes like crap seriously. How would anyone listen to this and think they sound good?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So what's your end game headphones?
There isn't one yet. He-1 would be close. Headphones that I respect the most also are stellia, open sounding closed can that sounds more open than open backs and good bass tonality is good. Also susvara, just something that's out there. No major flaws, sounds clean detailed spacious.

ra990

But Abyss tunes like crap seriously. How would anyone listen to this and think they sound good?
I didn't hear that at all. What I heard was the deepest insight into music, a huge holographic soundstage all around me, being able to pin point any tiny detail I wanted to, and bass that would shake me to my core. They're finicky for sure and their positioning on the head, the rotation of the ear pads, their width, it all impacts the sound. You can tune them however you want by changing their positioning, angle, etc, like speakers. It was the closest to being in a room with really resolving speakers that I've ever heard on headphones. I have nothing bad to say about them except, they take time to get to know and find the right fit/sound, and they're heavy.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I didn't hear that at all. What I heard was the deepest insight into music, a huge holographic soundstage all around me, being able to pin point any tiny detail I wanted to, and bass that would shake me to my core. They're finicky for sure and their positioning on the head, the rotation of the ear pads, their width, it all impacts the sound. You can tune them however you want by changing their positioning, angle, etc, like speakers. It was the closest to being in a room with really resolving speakers that I've ever heard on headphones. I have nothing bad to say about them except, they take time to get to know and find the right fit/sound, and they're heavy.
If you like them, good!

rmsanger

Thanks just needed to make sure they had enough cohones to drive them. Never heard them before and need an inexpensive solution to efficiently power them.

blackthrash

There isn't one yet. He-1 would be close. Headphones that I respect the most also are stellia, open sounding closed can that sounds more open than open backs and good bass tonality is good. Also susvara, just something that's out there. No major flaws, sounds clean detailed spacious.

I do most of my listening with the Sennheiser HD 800S + Sennheiser CH 800S cable. Here's a comparison to the Stellia. Subjectively speaking, I think the A90 has handled them the best. I've only had the amp since 5/30.

This might raise some audible groans, but I primarily listen to records. I like how they sound. Denon DP400 + Ortofon Blue + Rega Fono MM MK3 + Blue Jeans IC's. I'm looking to upgrade the deck/cartridge in the near future, but my existing setup sounds fantastic through the A90. I don't have the means to test this, but I have a subjective feeling that the A90 reduces surface noise.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I do most of my listening with the Sennheiser HD 800S + Sennheiser CH 800S cable. Here's a comparison to the Stellia. Subjectively speaking, I think the A90 has handled them the best. I've only had the amp since 5/30.

This might raise some audible groans, but I primarily listen to records. I like how they sound. Denon DP400 + Ortofon Blue + Rega Fono MM MK3 + Blue Jeans IC's. I'm looking to upgrade the deck/cartridge in the near future, but my existing setup sounds fantastic through the A90. I don't have the means to test this, but I have a subjective feeling that the A90 reduces surface noise.
From my personal experiences Focal headphones are more sensitive in general to the cable and amplifier. Even more so with Stellia. I did a blind test with different cables with Stellia the difference was immediate and clear. I would expect harsher sound from other amplifiers also.

rmsanger

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/topping-a90.927412/page-6

Anyone else experiencing loud humming/hissing/static with the A90? lineout from D90 sounds clean but both HPA and PRE on A90 sounds beyond terrible. Static/hissing is even noticeable during music play (normal volume) on low impedance cans (Stellia) and IEMs on low gain. I've tried several different cables (power/RCA/USB) with no noticeable improvements. This is with the RCA interconnect. Haven't tried the balanced (XLR) patch cable yet. Do I have a defective unit??

Wow, I experienced almost the same issues plus as you changed from low to medium to high gain. It got worse. However, once I changed from RCA to XLR interconnects then it all went away, I’m using Stellia headphones too.

Top Bottom